What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart MacGill

Anonymous

Juniors
Timbo said:
You are truly a goose.

MacGill takes test wickets at a more rapid rate than any other member of the current Aussie attack.

He has also been the leading ING Cup wicket taker 2 of the last 3 seasons. And had he not been playing for Australia his Pura Cup figures would have been even higher as well (not that they were low).

Who would you replace him with by the way? Zammit? O'Brien?

Sheesh. How could you possibly bag MacGilla.

Personally I'd go with Zammit. :D

knights04

Bench
I'd rather have Stuart MacGill in both forms of international cricket for Australia than Shane Warne. He may be expensive in test cricket but that's only because he's used more than he should be. Mark Taylor used MacGill perfectly, and clearly showed in the 5th Ashes test vs England SCG 1998/99 when Shane Warne returned from injury and only grabbed 2/110. Stuart MacGill picked up match figures of 12/107. That period was not the only occasion Warne has been injured or being a disgrace. MacGill's one-day average is excellent despite only a handful of games. Now Australia has the likes of Brad Hogg in ODI's ](*,) and so-called all-rounder Simon Katich, Darren Lehmann bowling. Australia will continue a downslide with those kind of players.

Doctor

Bench
When Warney returns it'll be bye bye MacGill

I agree, but this is the unfortunate part of Stuart MacGill's job description. Warne is one for the ages, rated as the fourth greatest cricketer of all time according to expert ratings.

MacGill is a good bowler, and could have been a great bowler if not for the presence of Warne in this era. I would like to see Warne break the world record, and clearly that will require MacGill to vacate his Test spot, unless either Bichel, Katich or another batsman is dropped - I can't see Australia playing 5 bowlers in a hurry.

Both are statistically very good - but as a cricket follower, like many, I've admired Warne's capacity to bowl those special spells, the kind of bowling performances that make him great. His career speaks for itself, and unfortunately it means a decision has to be made. The age gap between MacGill and Warne isn't significant enough to warrant MacGill holding his spot based on age - the performances are equal, Warne was in blistering form prior to his suspension.

Say what you like about Warne off-the-field, but he is a great bowler, and I would like to see him return - he will have to prove he is still fit when he starts up again for Victoria though.

Anonymous

Juniors
I honestly believe that had Stuart MacGill been just a few years older youd be hearing about some bloke named Warne who was kept out of the test side by one of the greatest leggies of all time and who only got the occasional run when he was injured. I think MacGill potentially could have been a 400+ wicket bowler, if he hadn't been trapped behind Warne.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think Warne is truly a champion bowler and deserves his mantle as best leggie ever. I think you just have to feel for MacGill.

Craig

Juniors
I certainly think that going at over 3 an over is quite poor in FC cricket.

And I ermber him getting belted about by Lara Sarwan and Ganga when he was the Caribbean this year.

He bowls far too many loose balls.

Anonymous

Juniors
Gez everyone is so quick to point out the negatives.

An economy rate of 3.3 is a *tad* (like 0.3) high, but it's not astronomical. And it's only 3.02 in tests. And his strike rate isn't bad either.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
El Duque said:
I hope this Test is MacGill's last for Australia [-o&lt, post: [/quote"]

Aint gonna happen.

No one to replace him with.

Interesting to see Katich take more wickets than McGill in the 2nd Test.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
El Duque said:
I hope this Test is MacGill's last for Australia [-o&lt, post: [/quote"]

Aint gonna happen.

No one to replace him with.

Interesting to see Katich take more wickets than McGill in the 2nd Test.

Hardly surprising though. MacGill is nothing special and he also can't bat to save himself.

Anonymous

Juniors
He bowled woderfully in adverse conditions (39 degrees or so) today.

And who cares if he can't bat? He does bat at number 11!!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Timbo said:
He bowled woderfully in adverse conditions (39 degrees or so) today.

And who cares if he can't bat? He does bat at number 11!!!

Adverse conditions :?

Maybe you didn't see the amount of spin on the wicket. It was a spinners wicket and MacGill failed badly.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Timbo said:
And maybe you didn't see him turning it a mile. I did.

And where were the wickets??

He got Tendulkar and Sehwag got himself out being stupid. MacGill was getting belted around something shocking too.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I support all the Australian players fully.

Excuse my ignorance but can anyone tell me what MacGill did to get so many baggers? I get the impression some of his own team don't like him that much either.

Anonymous

Juniors
I get that impression as well? Warne withdrawals perhaps? And I don't know what he did to get the publuc against him, he's always one of the blokes out signing kids autographs and stuff.

El Diablo

Post Whore
After seeing him on TV numerous times I don't like him at all. Especially after the crap he said on Sportsworld.

I don't rate the bloke at all and would drop him immediately. We need Warney [-o<

Doctor

Bench
El Duque said:
After seeing him on TV numerous times I don't like him at all. Especially after the crap he said on Sportsworld.

I don't rate the bloke at all and would drop him immediately. We need Warney [-o&lt, post: [/quote"]

While his overall stats are good, MacGill did not perform well in this match. Kumble took a bag of wickets, Tendulkar even snared Waugh and Martyn - Katich took some quality wickets (all-the-while giving loose deliveries), but MacGill produced practically nothing from a whole heap of overs.

On a spinner's pitch (as evidenced by other spinners), MacGill didn't come to the party. Far too many short deliveries smashed to the boundary, and then he would over-compensate with a loose full-toss that sits up nicely for the batsman - eyes light up, bat swooshing and all the rest = the end result is MacGill looks ordinary.

His one real success was getting Tendulkar out, but Sachin will be disappointed he looked so incompetant against the straight one - a good delivery combined with poor batting but in amongst a swag-load of loose stuff for the batsmen to pick off to the boundary.

I don't consider myself a MacGill-basher - I've been defending his stats and performances when El Duque has criticised his selection. But you can't ignore a poor performance on a spinner's wicket. As Tendulkar showed - you should be able to extract massive spin and still pick up wickets if you put it in the right spot - MacGill didn't.

I just can't wait for Warne to come back. 8)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Tendulker got himself out.

I have always been a fan of McGill, but that is fading abit.

Katich got more wickets than McGill.

He bolwed around the wicket for far too long. A very negative tactic, for mine, when we had to bowl them out.

We were never going to resrict their score in a days play.

McGill is a big turner of tha ball, but to pridictable and not enough variation for the Indians, who play him better than any one else.

It probably shows just how much we need Warney back, but unfortunately we do not have any one else that is up to McGills standard and experience.

The MCG is a fast bowlers pitch at the moment and would be a good time to use 4 quicks against the Indians, but we are fast running out of quicks as well.

Azkatro

First Grade
Notice how easily the Indians were picking MacGill's wrong 'un as well? Katich bowled a few to Laxman who didn't know too much about it at all.

I get the feeling that MacGill just tends to roll up and try and spin the ball for miles. What makes Warney special and allows him to take wickets is the fact that Warney always has a sense of purpose about his bowling, and the idea is that it results in a wicket. MacGill seems far more one dimensional. The captain has to tell him where to bowl and he'll do that for 150 overs unless he's asked to change.