What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Student World Cup

Red C

Juniors
The Student Rugby League World Cup starts on sat 2nd of July, with Ireland versus The Pacific Islands as the tournament opener with a 1pm kick off.

The game is at Griffith University Nathan Campus, it would be good to see a decent crowd there so come down and give us your support!

roopy

Referee
Red C said:
The Student Rugby League World Cup starts on sat 2nd of July, with Ireland versus The Pacific Islands as the tournament opener with a 1pm kick off.

The game is at Griffith University Nathan Campus, it would be good to see a decent crowd there so come down and give us your support!
Red C,
I hope you give us a few updates of the tournament for those of us who won't make it to the games.
Welcome to the forum BTW.

Red C

Juniors
I hope you give us a few updates of the tournament for those of us who won't make it to the games.
Yeah i'll do my best, im playing for Ireland in the comp so dont know how often i'll be able to get on the internet, but i''l give updates as often as I can.

We leave for Brisbane on mon, im gettin excited now!

Lantana

Juniors
Can somebody send some info through to the Courier Mail (Barry Dick) I have heard there has been zero mention of the tournament thus far.

Australia should win it but the Kiwis are a bit of an unknown and may be the strongest opposition. Oz and NZ are in the same pool so that should sort things out a bit. I think it's the game prior to Origin 3. The home nations and France competed well against the Aussies on last year's tour of Europe but I don't think any of them will be able to match Australia on home soil. The French are always unpredictable, the Welsh have done very well at student level before and Scotland and Ireland have a lot of English players helping out but the Poms would have to be the other big threats. The Pacific team was a late inclusion after Russia predictably pulled out so I don't know how they'll go or even where they got the players from. It should be good though. I'd love to get to some games but it's a bit far at the end of a long week at work.

The Partisan

The Colonel said:
Does anyone know the makeup of the Australian squad?

I believe they have a contract with Estee Lauder !!!! Free eyeshadow after every win !

Speaking seriously now, I am looking forward to catching a couple of games of the tournament and would be more than happy to meet up with anyone who shares my passion for international RL. These events are slowly but surely building the base of International RL and need our support. For us Southern Qld / Northern NSW fans of RL it could be a great opportunity to start an Interest group or association of some description.

If you can't make it to a group game, clear SATURDAY 16TH JULY in your diary for the finals at Easts RLFC, Langlands Park (3 V 4 Play-off @ 1.30).

The Colonel

Immortal
The Partisan said:
I believe they have a contract with Estee Lauder !!!! Free eyeshadow after every win !

Speaking seriously now, I am looking forward to catching a couple of games of the tournament and would be more than happy to meet up with anyone who shares my passion for international RL. These events are slowly but surely building the base of International RL and need our support. For us Southern Qld / Northern NSW fans of RL it could be a great opportunity to start an Interest group or association of some description.

If you can't make it to a group game, clear SATURDAY 16TH JULY in your diary for the finals at Easts RLFC, Langlands Park (3 V 4 Play-off @ 1.30).

Funny. But in all seriousness is their a team list? I used to be involved with NSW Students and was just interested to see who if any were selected from NSW.

Red C

Juniors
Does anyone know the makeup of the Australian squad?

You can see the make up of the australian squad at the link below.

http://www.aurl.com.au/worldcup/australian_team.htm

Most of the other teams details dont seem to have been updated except for Scotland.

Barry Dick would like to hear from the competing teams so send him an email and you may be able to arrange a story in QLD's largest paper when you arrive.

Yeah I will do thanks for the tip. Good to see some of you guys coming to see some of the games. Right, i'm off to go and pack my bag..........

DIEHARD

----
2005 Universities World Cup Kicks Off
Tuesday, 28th June 2005

The 2005 World Rugby League Student Cup is about to get underway with teams converging on Griffith University in Brisbane.

Vying for the cup - the first to be held in Queensland - are reigning title holders New Zealand, along with France, Pacific Islands, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Australia.

Players are checking into Griffith's Nathan and Mount Gravatt residential colleges and many are already hard at training in preparation for the showdown which features curtain-raiser games at the Broncos v Cronulla match (student game is England v France) and the July 6 State of Origin (student match is Australia v New Zealand).

World Student Cup ambassador and Australian rugby league legend Mal Meninga will be meeting the national teams on June 30. The cup is supported by the Australian Universities Rugby League (AURL).

AURL chairman Mike Loftus said many of the games, being held from July 2-16, were being held at the university and he encouraged members of the public to come and experience the international series.

"Having the opportunity to see some leading players in an international competition is terrific and families are warmly invited to come along and enjoy some of the on-ground action," Loftus said.

"There are already some hot tips be wagered in the international arena as to who might win the cup this year, with holders New Zealand having held the prize since 1999," he said.

A full rundown of matches is online at www.griffith.edu.au/er/news/2005_1/rugbyworldcup.html

On the Australian team this year is Griffith business management student Quin Smith who was selected from the Queensland universities team after being voted "man of the match" in the recent game against New South Wales.

He's joined by;

Jordan Atkins (University of Southern Queensland),
Chad Buckby (James Cook University),
Jonathan Crawley (James Cook University),
John Ellis (University of New England),
Chris Fleming (Central Queensland University),
Mitchell Gaal (Charles Sturt University),
George Ghazal (Australian College of Physical Education),
Ben Groves (James Cook University),
Tony Hampson (University of Southern Queensland),
Martin Hatfield (Central Queensland University),
Luke Hilton (Australian College of Physical Education),
Ali Kourouche (University of Western Sydney),
Clint Lovering (Australian College of Physical Education),
Matthew McKinnon (The University of Queensland),
James Rahme (University of Sydney),
Kevin Stephenson (The University of Queensland),
Nathan Tolley (Southern Cross University),
Barrett Wherry (James Cook University),
Sam Williams (Macquarie University),
Shane Wooden (Central Coast Campus).

As well joining the World Cup action, Quin will play at Suncorp Stadium in the Australian versus New Zealand curtain raiser to the upcoming and third State of Origin.

Griffith University games are free and are being played at the Nathan sports field (enter via Kessels Road). All welcome.

http://www.griffith.edu.au/er/news/2005_1/rugbyworldcup.html

Source: ARL

The Colonel

Immortal
Well done Sammy Williams. Injuries hampered his junior career unfortunately and he missed out on trials with Parramatta and Penrith - very very good player.

DIEHARD

----
Student Rugby League Cup 2005

THE Scottish team will proudly wear their kilts when the Student Rugby League Cup opens in Brisbane tomorrow.

The Scots are one of eight of the best university national teams from around the world that have arrived in Queensland to vie for the title of champions in the tournament that gets underway on Saturday.

Australia will be trying to get the World Cup back from New Zealand, who won the trophy when it was staged in England back in 1999.

Challenging them will be a big contingent from the ‘home countries’ – England, Ireland, Wales and the Scots – as well as France and a team from the sleeping giant of rugby league, the Pacific Islands.

Tomorrow all teams will assemble for the opening ceremony at Griffith University’s Nathan Campus, in ‘The Hub’ sports hall at 12.30pm.

Australian Test legend Mal Meninga, who is the ambassador for the tournament, and Queensland Rugby League and Australian Rugby League director Kevin Brasch will help open the competition.

Each side will play three pool matches in the first week of the tournament at Nathan Campus sports fields.

In highlights, England and France will meet in a pool match on Sunday as the curtain raiser to the Broncos-Sharks NRL game at Suncorp Stadium, while Australia and New Zealand renew hostilities as a prequel to the State of Origin decider at the same venue on July 6.

The World Cup semi-finals will be held at Arana Hills RLFC on July 13, with the final to be held at Coorparoo’s Langlands Park three days later.

The Australian team is coached by former Broncos lower grade mentor, Steve Calder.

Student Rugby League Cup Online

YANTO

Juniors
Ok guys who down under is going to keep us updated on all the events?Since the media has blinkered this tournament we need info as it happens.

roopy

Referee
I'll make this thread a sticky.
I think those going to the games should make a real effort to give us reports.

The Partisan

Heading to the games today (Sat,2nd) so will draw on my schoolboy essay writing abilities to try and provide some coverage. Maybe catching England / France tomorrow - depending on hangover and housework !!!!

Will be attempting to catch up with Diehard who appears to have some media-film/television experience - maybe we can produce an epic video between us ???