What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Games in Sydney

Exactly. Supposedly it's the National Rugby League- not the Sydney Rugby League. The sport does not start and end at the suburban boundaries of Sydney.

At least 2-3 Sydney clubs need to be axed and replaced with interstate clubs to secure to viability of the comp in the long term (I.e. Next 50 years). TV companies won't bankroll a glorified suburban comp for billions forever.

No clubs should be cut, just add the B Brothers and West Coast Pirates.

Why can't we get more lower-middle and middle class ppl in Sydney to watch RL? It's possible. And to get more from financially wealthy areas playing the game.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
We're still only 26 years into the nationalness of this competition. I think people outside Sydney forget that sometimes... it's still fresh. 80-odd years prior to that and it was all Sydney.

But the Brisbane comp. was quite strong though, I think stronger than most give it credit. I think too much is read into the results of the NSW comp. vs. the Queensland comp. prior to 1980, I think Qld were more or less beaten before a ball was kicked prior to 1980.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its a shame that, back in 1988, they didnt try to combine the NSWRL and BRL comps...

If the had taken maybe 10 of the 14 NSW teams (including the Knights) and 4 or 6 of the 10 QLD teams, the NRL would almost be done with expansion.

Add teams in Perth, Melbourne, NQLD and NZ over the next few decades and thats pretty must finished.

Ahhh, what could have been....

oikee

Juniors
The scheduling of games this year has been woeful. The worst in the history of the code and not far off last years awful scheduling. Have you forgotten about last year already. ??

Let me remind you, last year we had no Anzac day clash for Queensland, and after Origin the first game in Brisbane at our number 1 footy stadium, was after 4 weeks.
So at our best stadium and in our heartland city, it took a month to have a game played at Suncorp in Brisbane. ??

Now they have no Sunday games in Sydney our heartland city that has 9, yes f**kin 9 teams and yet they could not schedule one game for Sundays.

???? When this code sacks all the lame no good hopeless bludgers who are killing this code with marketing and scheduling that is third world, and bring in some half decent staff who have half a clue of how to run a code, (the yanks), our code will continue to give FREE-AIR to every other code in Australia.
We might as well just give them 200 million out of our tv deal, that is how much market share and heartland roots we give away to them.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Its a shame that, back in 1988, they didnt try to combine the NSWRL and BRL comps...

If the had taken maybe 10 of the 14 NSW teams (including the Knights) and 4 or 6 of the 10 QLD teams, the NRL would almost be done with expansion.

Add teams in Perth, Melbourne, NQLD and NZ over the next few decades and thats pretty must finished.

Ahhh, what could have been....

100% agree. Purely a decision based on $$$. All very well known, but the the Brisbane clubs back then could not compete with the cashed-up, poker machine fuelled Sydney clubs. Combining Brisbane and Sydney clubs into one 'national' competition was never going to work at the time.

Very different story now though. I would guess some Brisbane clubs (Redcliffe, Easts etc..) are on par or in a better financial position then some existing Sydney NRL clubs.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Very different story now though. I would guess some Brisbane clubs (Redcliffe, Easts etc..) are on par or in a better financial position then some existing Sydney NRL clubs.

That may be the case but would they be able to remain that way if they had several million dollars in player, staff and facilities costs? I'm not saying they couldn't, it's a genuine question. Obviously greater sponsorship opportunities would arise with the elevated profile but I think it's hard to say whether that better position would remain if the circumstances changed.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
There was 1 afl game in Sydney in 5 weeks. Between 2 teams...

No sunday afl games in sydney till 22nd june.

Why do you people over exaggerate? Your half the reason the tele spews so much shit because you guys love it.

Its been like this for a while, I dont know why people are surprised.

Personally it doesnt bother me that much or at all. I could always head down to Ringrose Park and see the lower grades on a perfect Sunday alvo.