What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Roast

aads

Juniors
I just watched the SFS/Roast

Oww FFS tim gilbert interrupting , explaining to people who "the grub" is when it was clear that Trent Hodgkinson was talking about Josh Reynolds.

Oww and "sumefink" mad dog
f**kwit jimmy "hoooooooooops" who thinks he is a player it seems as he always mentions how "we" felt

TK i dont mind but he isnt great

almost makes those airheads last week look professional.

Mr Saab

Referee
I just watched the SFS/Roast

Oww FFS tim gilbert interrupting , explaining to people who "the grub" is when it was clear that Trent Hodgkinson was talking about Josh Reynolds.

Oww and "sumefink" mad dog
f**kwit jimmy "hoooooooooops" who thinks he is a player it seems as he always mentions how "we" felt

TK i dont mind but he isnt great

almost makes those airheads last week look professional.

I dont watch it anymore. I tape the show on IQ and move past their crap. Tim Tam is just not suited to the role and kills any talk that goes on between the other panelists

PARRA_FAN

Coach
^ I do the same. Its a pain in the arse having to watch that crap in between when you just want to watch the review of the each game played so far.

Hooper is a moron.
Says Carney deserves to be sacked for this due to having had a few chances already. Then he says Ferguson's contract should be allowed to be registered because he deserves "a second chance".

Bretto

Bench
Hooper is a moron.
Says Carney deserves to be sacked for this due to having had a few chances already. Then he says Ferguson's contract should be allowed to be registered because he deserves "a second chance".

I haven't seen the show, but to be fair, this is Carney's third chance...

I haven't seen the show, but to be fair, this is Carney's third chance...

Ferguson has had about the same most likely.

There was the spitting on people at the nighclub
There was the rooftop with Dugan
Speeding and driving while his licence was suspended
Guilty of groping a woman

There's probably stuff I'm forgetting too.
They are as bad as each other and if the NRL is serious then neither should be allowed to play in the NRL.

Bretto

Bench
My god this Roast segment is painful. Tim Gilbert giving Darius Boyd a lecture on how to be a better person and to present yourself in a better light. This is coming from the worlds biggest sycophant who styles himself on KD Lang.

Dead set.

Bretto

Bench
Can't believe it, but this is actually not bad today.

Of course, Gilbert isn't hosting, so that's probably why, but I don't mind it at all today.

Rosetta

Juniors
Holy shit, Tim Tam Gilbert has his make-up painted on like a clown on WWOS this morning, it's a shocker.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I noticed theyve ditched the Roast segment on the Sunday Footy Show and rightly so, it was a waste of time with Gilbert hosting it, now the Sunday Footy Show seems a lot better to watch.

Mr Saab

Referee
I noticed theyve ditched the Roast segment on the Sunday Footy Show and rightly so, it was a waste of time with Gilbert hosting it, now the Sunday Footy Show seems a lot better to watch.

Agreed. Roast was a abysmal with Tim Tam as host. Prefer current format.
Having said that, the Roast with Voss was some of the best NRL TV we have seen

undertaker

Coach
Agreed. Roast was a abysmal with Tim Tam as host. Prefer current format.
Having said that, the Roast with Voss was some of the best NRL TV we have seen

If I were on the management department for Fox Sports programming, this would be the perfect time to pick up the Sunday Roast concept (although you couldn't call it the Sunday Roast as it remains the 'intellectual property" of Ch9, even though it was Vossy's creation) and have it as a show IMMEDIATELY after Monday Night Football. It'd rate very well, as has been shown by the ratings for Matt Johns' Monday Night show this year.

Matt Johns has another show on Thursday nights, let him have that timeslot to do whatever comedic shenanigans he wants to do with Fletch and Hindy, and replace his Monday Night show with the Sunday Roast-type of show, incorporating some of the segments that were on the old Sunday Roast (i.e. when Vossy was host), as well as other stuff Vossy used to do like "Stuff You May Have Missed", and definitely a Boots N All type of segments where viewers can write in and request to see highlights or incidents from old matches etc and talk about them. Maybe a segment where the studio audience is involved and allow them to ask questions to the panellists, or allow them to have a short rant on a certain RL topic (like what The Footy Show used to have at the beginning of last year, with the 5 in the Bin segment by having a fan from another club on the panel to have his two cents. It was a very good idea, but was wrecked when Hadley just talked over the top of them and berated the fan).

Now that several of the Ch9 personnel are now contracted to Fox Sports, it'd be great to see the following panel:

Voss (Host)
Matt Johns (the larrakin)
Sterlo (the intellectual panellist, playing the role Gus used to do)
MG (the hard hitting, controversial panellist)

There you have three of the original 4 Ch9 cast-members of the Roast when the Roast was at its peak before Matty left Ch9 (Voss/Matt/Gus/MG). Gus would be the only one not there, as he is not contracted to Fox Sports. I'd definitely set time aside to tune in every week to watch it, and I know many on this forum who have Foxtel - as well as other passionate league supporters not on this forum but who do have Foxtel - would be tuning in. The beauty would be to watch the show flow without having Tim Gilbert stifle it and constantly interrupting after panellists had their allocated 30 seconds. Vossy allowed more spontaneity and improvisation from the other three panellists, which is what kept the interest in the show, and one of the reasons why it was compulsory viewing for me every Sunday. He allowed them to have their say, and there was no strict time allocations to adhere to.

Have a studio audience, promote the crap out of the show during the week, make it the flagship RL show on Fox Sports catalogue.....this is something Fox Sports should be seriously considering and planning for during the off-season for next year's lineup.

Your thoughts on this idea?

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Good idea, Vossy was such a good host for that kind of show. It's got to be a matter of time before Fox find some space for him.

I don't know if it's interchangable with Matty John's show on the Monday, the formats are a bit different. Johns goes through the games of the week (with a bit of shenanigans) while the strength of the Roast was that it was more 'big picture' stuff (like NRL 360 but lighter and better paced). If anything, it's like an NRL only Back Page. I guess it depends if they think they can do something like that again during the week.

I like NRL 360 but 3 nights a week is too much IMO. Cut into that one night, have Kent and a guest on for a 'Controversy Corner' style segment.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
They should go back to a segment they had on NRL fox in 2012, similar to a controversy corner and 5 in the bin style, cant remember what they called it. Now back in 2011 NRL on Fox was too boring with Ryan Phelan and a bit unfunny with Garry Freeman and Wayne Pearce.

The format completely changed when they brought back Warren Smith as host, alongside Matty Johns, Alexander and Mark Geyer. It was a lot better and I remember the controversy segment got a bit heated when Paul Kent was there with Gordon Tallis. Good to watch.

They should bring back that segment, with Andrew Voss as host, Mark Geyer, Matty Johns, a former player (change it every now and then, a player from the 80s, one from the 90s and one from the 2000s), maybe a current player, and a current jurno, cause its always good to see them get their @rse kicked on TV. :D

Plus to add to a bit of comedy, Matty Johns and MG are always good value.