What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Telegraph stories..

Stagger eel

Staff member
Sorry, couldn't fins a link to them yet, maybe it's too early however our favourite journalist, Peter Badel has a field day with a couple of not so positive stories.

* John Morris has declared that he won't give up his five-eight jumper to Jamie Lyon yet as he declared that his preference is to stay at Parra, despite the fact that he'll be going to the open market..

tsk..tsk..Johnny boy!!!...we're not stupid John, most people know that if your not signed by June 30, chances of staying are very remote, I suggest you concentrate on not giving up your spot to Jeremy Smith, as i firmly believe he's a bigger imiediate threat to you than Lyon is.

*Vella, Morris and Widders have declared the club is at an all time low, morale wise however they still show their support for Smith and basically blame themselves for the form slump, the story also revealed that Smith has had a falling out with Haydon Knowles because apparently Haydo had knocked Smithy back after his request to follow him to Newcastle.

The only thing I'll say to this is that I'm not at all surprised that this story has surfaced in public that's all I'll say.

* Jeremy Smith is said to be a bolter for the Kiwi's at halfback with Marcus being a dark horse for the spot.

imo..Jeremy should be given the no. 6 jersey now, he deserves his shot and I think he's got more versatility in his game than Morris has.

Pazza

First Grade
If he cant defend then he has no place in first grade. We are shocking enough this year in defence. We dont need another hole.

Pazza

First Grade
I dont think that swapping Morris for J Smith is going to solve much. Might make things even worse.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
I dont think that swapping Morris for J Smith is going to solve much. Might make things even worse.

Might actually make things better too...

maybe you should you watch Jeremy play before you comment.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Jeremy Smith is 10 x the player Morris is in attack and about equal defensivly Morris might be slightly better but not enough to overcome the attacking advantages of J.Smith

Admitingly last Sunday was shocking, but if you exclude that game 30 pts would've gotten Parra the win in all other games (ok golden point in the Broncos game you nitpicking bastards :lol: ).

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
Jeremy Smith is 10 x the player Morris is in attack and about equal defensivly Morris might be slightly better but not enough to overcome the attacking advantages of J.Smith

Admitingly last Sunday was shocking, but if you exclude that game 30 pts would've gotten Parra the win in all other games (ok golden point in the Broncos game you nitpicking bastards :lol: ).

I wouldn't exactly go that far...but he deserves his shot and should get it next week.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I kinda want to see the Kiwis go with

6. Jeremy Smith
7. Marcus Perenara

for no other reason then to get to say that Parra have the Kiwi halves pairing in reggies :lol: (although, if they should be in reggies is another matter)

Hurriflatch

Referee
eelavation said:
I wouldn't exactly go that far...but he deserves his shot and should get it next week.

Ok maybe not 10x but Smith offers a lot more in attack then Morris does.

Morris is by no means a bad player and I wouldn't mind seeing him kept in the #14 if PJ isn't back as tbh, Marcus could well get the start with Riddell suspended.

6. J.Smith
7. T.Smith
9. Perenara/Marsh

14. Morris/Marsh/Perenara/Storer

Pazza

First Grade
i saw Jermey Smith play in last years PL Grand Final.

J Smith has alot of things going his way, He is playing in a performing side, Behind a forward pack that i asume is going forward, In a slower easier competition. Flip him into first grade in a team that is mistake ridden, low in morale and paper thin in defence and he isnt going to be effective.

We have all seen what Morris can do with the football. He was quite lethal last season with 19 TAs approx. But what kind of player in the halves can perform with minimal possettion, lack of space and what looks like a very unfit football team?

Let me guess!!!!? Jermey Smith right?

thedux

Juniors
It's not so much that our D is struggling it's that we aren't contolling the ball well enough and are having to make extra tackles that will be missed eventually. Aside from the last 20 against the Broncos and Penrith, we haven't defended that bad but have put so much pressure on ourselves, you simply can't sustain the effort. I think that J.Smith might just offer another dimension in attack that Morris hasn't offered thus far. T.Smith isn't playing well but he's not getting any help either.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
eelavation said:
* John Morris has declared that he won't give up his five-eight jumper to Jamie Lyon yet as he declared that his preference is to stay at Parra, despite the fact that he'll be going to the open market..

Morris said he wouldn't give up the #9 jumper to Riddell back in 2004 so that's encouraging that he may not be at five-eighth next year. In fact I'd be completely stunned if he's even re-signed, he seems to think he's playing alot better than he really is.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
Morris said he wouldn't give up the #9 jumper to Riddell back in 2004 so that's encouraging that he may not be at five-eighth next year. In fact I'd be completely stunned if he's even re-signed, he seems to think he's playing alot better than he really is.

mate, he's going on the open market, which basicaly means he's as good as gone. where?? who cares.

Avenger

Immortal
eelavation said:
mate, he's going on the open market, which basicaly means he's as good as gone. where?? who cares.

Right on eela. When I read this article this morning my instant reaction was to pity the fool. What a pissant.

Avenger

Immortal
eelavation said:
*Vella, Morris and Widders have declared the club is at an all time low, morale wise however they still show their support for Smith and basically blame themselves for the form slump, the story also revealed that Smith has had a falling out with Haydon Knowles because apparently Haydo had knocked Smithy back after his request to follow him to Newcastle.

Is there anyone this "What took you so long to call"coach hasn't upset this year? What ever happened to the I'm professional and will get on with the job?

If we lose on Friday Smith should be shown the door. :evil:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
i saw Jermey Smith play in last years PL Grand Final.

OK, I've seen him play several games and he's been knocking on the door for a long time, it's only that Morris's form last year prevented him from being selected. IMO J Smith would be in first grade in several clubs, including Canberra, Warriors and Canterbury.

J Smith has alot of things going his way, He is playing in a performing side, Behind a forward pack that i asume is going forward, In a slower easier competition. Flip him into first grade in a team that is mistake ridden, low in morale and paper thin in defence and he isnt going to be effective.

True, but several players have made their way to first grade playing in that team and have handled the step by with distinction, Taia, Marcus, Delaney, Reddy, Williams, O'Dwyer list goes on...other than our 2 teenage outside backs, he's the only guy who hasn't been given a chance in first grade after a number of MOM type performances.

We have all seen what Morris can do with the football. He was quite lethal last season with 19 TAs approx. But what kind of player in the halves can perform with minimal possettion, lack of space and what looks like a very unfit football team?

Let me guess!!!!? Jermey Smith right?

Like Dean Widders, Morris's seems to have his mind elsewhere and we know where that is...

Jeremy deserves his shot, he's highly regarded at the club by the coaching staff and a number of players, he's the only guy in that PL sqaud that hasn't figured in first grade but thouraghly deserves it.

Let's what he can do up against a seasoned campaigner like Fitzhenry, I honestly believe he can more than compete against him.

strider

Post Whore
PJ Marshal said:
when will the morris bashing stop *tear*
well with ash gone and burty in PL, someone has to wear the shirt with a target painted on the back.

having said that - i'm not overly impressed with johnny so far this year - he was so good last year, but now :( ..... sorry pj :lol:

Latest posts