What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Telegraph stories..

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Avenger said:
If we lose on Friday Smith should be shown the door. :evil:

and replaced by ? Sharp's out, JT wants out
we're all comatose at the moment because everyone has their mind on next year, due to the ridiculous position that the board has us in.

this bit you're reading has nothing to do whatsover with anything, i just thought i needed to do someting in bold to fit in with all the other posts. so there.

strider

Post Whore
Tyler Durden said:
we're all comatose at the moment because everyone has their mind on next year, due to the ridiculous position that the board has us in.

this bit you're reading has nothing to do whatsover with anything, i just thought i needed to do someting in bold to fit in with all the other posts. so there.

bold :lol: @ tyler

thats a good point actually - what's left if things don't pick up? - if they deemed it necessary to sack smithy, denis would only replace him with someone who he didn't have to pay much more (ie someone already at the club) .... will we see denis put on his coaching hat? ... how about, can anyone say "captain-coach"?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tyler Durden said:

I was actually going to admit that you were right all along, but now I've changed my mind with the bold comment :p

btw, why isn't Newcastle, Canberra and Penrith having the same problems as us?? they don't appear to have the internal drama's that we're facing at the moment..

I know the reason why, but I think it's best that I'll keep it to myself.

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I was actually going to admit that you were right all along, but now I've changed my mind with the bold comment :p

btw, why isn't Newcastle, Canberra and Penrith having the same problems as us?? they don't appear to have the internal drama's that we're facing at the moment..

I know the reason why, but I think it's best that I'll keep it to myself.

cos they've won a few games maybe

actually - penrith are the only ones who can be compared to us, cos they are the ones in the same situtation - ie a coach who was told his fate as opposed to being shown it before he wanted to.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parra Guru said:
Because John Morris isn't their 5/8 Eela? :lol:

I think it's more deep rooted than that, John's a fine footballer but I just think it's time to give Jeremy a run..seperate issue I guess.

spiderdan

Bench
jeremy smith is probably one of our two best options for pivot (i hate to say it but even though i thought morris played well in 2005 he is nowhere near that standard this year). jeremy smith's creativity is awesome. the guy can pull a rabbit out of a hat so to speak. i really think he would add an extra dimension in attack relieving the pressure on time.

if this were to happen then i think our defence would improve as a synergistic effect as our side will be taking more out of the opposition.

the other option at 5/8 is blake green. the kid has talent but his age may go against his selection.

i would like to see either get a run with morris playing off the bench while pj is out.

Hellsy

Immortal
eelavation said:
*Vella, Morris and Widders have declared the club is at an all time low, morale wise however they still show their support for Smith and basically blame themselves for the form slump, the story also revealed that Smith has had a falling out with Haydon Knowles because apparently Haydo had knocked Smithy back after his request to follow him to Newcastle.

Thats really really disappointing, hopefully Hayden is OK with this and will continue to do what H does best for us this year

Utey

Coach
Cant help but feel let down, this season could have been anything. Looks to be in ruins now.

Hurriflatch

Referee
at least Hayden has shown he wants to stay unlike others (JT, Sharp etc) and as long as Smith doesn't piss him off too much before he (Brian) leaves at the end of the year hopefully Hayden will continue to want to stay around.

AS for the other clubs as was pointed out the Knights and Raiders are different stories their coaches were sort after by other clubs, not admitingly Hagan was going to have his contract reviewed midseason but his motivation would've been just as much if not more then it is now so had Parra not signed Hagan it's possible that the Knights might even be going better :lol:

THe Raiders likewise Elliott was sort after by the Panthers had he not signed then I'd say he would've gotten an extension at Canberra.

but the Panthers are also a different matter for the simple reason that Lang hasn't yet signed elsewhere so his main focus is to impress as many people as possible this year to try and get a job for 2007.

Brian Smith is in the same boat as Matt Petersen both people have their futures set and don't have the possibility of finding themselves in the dole queue in 12 months hanging over their head and that security and knowing it's not with this club have effected their performances.

Had this been a contract year for Petersen I'm betting you he'd have scored 5 tries and saved another 3. Likewise is Smith wasn't signed anywhere next year then maybe things wouldn't be as bad as they are one things for certain he wouldn't be in the press praising Johns nor would he be trying to recruit Hayden Knowles to Newie.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't despair, people! It's early in the season yet!

Did we bow down completely against Brisbane? No!

Did we roll over completely against the Cowboys? No!

Did we lay down and die completely against the Panthers? No!

Evidently, we're doing SOME things right, just not all of them. When we get our act together and play good football consistently over the 80 minutes, we'll be unstoppable.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No sarcasm here, mate.

I'm serious - we haven't completely rolled over and let Brisbane, the Cowboys and the Panthers thrash us. At stages against them, we were all over them.

When we get things right, we'll be killing it.

Hurriflatch

Referee
The problem is dumb mistakes and stupid times.

The Cowboys got 12 free points from Parra with Hindy's knock on and WAdes play the ball

Parra bombed 2 certain tries against the Broncos with Ash Graham dropping the ball over the line then later in the game when the score was 10-14.

and Tahu in the last 30 mins of the 1st half v Penrith played the best he ever has in a Eels jersey.

My problem has been that they have gone from this point to getting belted.

after they bombed the try v Brisbane it went from a 4 pt game to a 20 pt loss

against the Cowboys they let it 26 straight points

against Penrith it was 30-0 in the 2nd half.

It seems to be either a massive issue with fitness or that the players are letting these bad plays effect them too much and are bascially giving up after something goes wrong.

and either way is a massive worry

Hurriflatch said:
The problem is dumb mistakes and stupid times.

The Cowboys got 12 free points from Parra with Hindy's knock on and WAdes play the ball

Parra bombed 2 certain tries against the Broncos with Ash Graham dropping the ball over the line then later in the game when the score was 10-14.

and Tahu in the last 30 mins of the 1st half v Penrith played the best he ever has in a Eels jersey.

My problem has been that they have gone from this point to getting belted.

after they bombed the try v Brisbane it went from a 4 pt game to a 20 pt loss

against the Cowboys they let it 26 straight points

against Penrith it was 30-0 in the 2nd half.

It seems to be either a massive issue with fitness or that the players are letting these bad plays effect them too much and are bascially giving up after something goes wrong.

and either way is a massive worry

I don't think it is fitness, It might be a little dropping of the head, which we saw last year as well at the end of the year.

Same sort of thing as in 2004. There was the meeting and things got a little better, even though the blight stayed at the club.

The Boys need some Fish training and they need to learn to Choose their attitude.

Kornstar

Coach
spiderdan said:
jeremy smith is probably one of our two best options for pivot (i hate to say it but even though i thought morris played well in 2005 he is nowhere near that standard this year). jeremy smith's creativity is awesome. the guy can pull a rabbit out of a hat so to speak. i really think he would add an extra dimension in attack relieving the pressure on time.

if this were to happen then i think our defence would improve as a synergistic effect as our side will be taking more out of the opposition.

the other option at 5/8 is blake green. the kid has talent but his age may go against his selection.

i would like to see either get a run with morris playing off the bench while pj is out.

I really think Blake has the talent to go all the way, i think his defence is very solid.......however i do think that Jeremy deserves a shot at first grade cause he has been outstanding for us since last year......

I too would be happy with either.....

coca-cola

Juniors
our problem is definitely a lack of fitness especially in the forward pack. and its funny because whilst john morris sat the trials out injured he still looks like the fittest player at parramatta at the moment. in fact he has been our fittest player since he came here. look im not johns biggest fan but i cant believe so many people are on his back about his poor form because last time i checked the whole team was playing poorly. john morris is partially responsible for that but in the pecking order hes nowhere near the top. jeremy smith is not the answer to our teams woes, hes unproven and wouldnt be able to offer more than john morris behind the forward pack john has had to work with. there are no miracle answers, bringing in players from our successful premier league team wont convert to success in first grade. what we need is a commitment to success and more camaraderie between the boys. you dont build camaraderie by chopping and changing the team at a whim. thats also why we need to bring back luke burt. sorry but thats just how i feel.

spiderdan

Bench
MarkInTheStands said:
I don't think it is fitness, It might be a little dropping of the head, which we saw last year as well at the end of the year.

Same sort of thing as in 2004. There was the meeting and things got a little better, even though the blight stayed at the club.

The Boys need some Fish training and they need to learn to Choose their attitude.
i hate the fish philosophy (guess which attitude i'm choosing :D ).

maybe they could incorporate the other three philosophiesas well; be there, make their (us supporters) day; and play.

fish eel

Immortal
Tyler Durden said:

whatever happened we were going to be in an awkward position with Smith.

Either he would have been:
* Resigned, people would have bee blowing up.
* no decision made, people would have been blowing up about the uncertainty
*sacked before the season started: replaced by who, Peter Sharp, a good assistant but failed NRL coach or Jason taylor, untried and doubts as to whether he can cut the mustard

Mind you, if we sack smith now, graeme souness may be looking for a new gig

Latest posts