What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Sunshine" Watson Recalled for ODI final series!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
lockyno1 said:
So what if batting averages are higher? Ever thought that is due to the better batsman around? You can compare their records as at no point did Waugh average much more than 35. Yet Watson averages 30 and yet he is hopeless according to some on here. That is my point. You can't say Watson is ordinary unless you say quite a few players that average around 30 are ordinary as well!
The averages today are Higher Mainly because the bowling is weaker, Bats are like tree trunks and grounds are smaller with ropes in. Plus there are a lot of roads around the cricket world.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Waugh played on the same "roads" as you speak of IMO. You can't hide the fact that they both average 30 odd with the bat. Who you rather at 3 down well thats debateable and we won't go into that, but the fact is that Watson and Waugh have similar averages.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You can compare Waugh and Watson if you like, But if Watson achieves half as much in cricket as Steve Waugh has he should retire a happy little Sunshine.

lockyno1

Post Whore
That reminds me of a good movie..Little Miss Sunshine.

Sunshine has a good chance to achieve at least half what Steve Waugh did.

HevyDevy

Coach
lockyno1 said:
Mate the records are similar, all I am saying is that if you think Watson is ordinary then Steve Waugh must be ordinary in ODI's as well. I don't see it that way at all. I see both players as extremely good ODI cricketers!

:sarcasm:

That must have been a VERY magic mushroom Locky

JJ

Immortal
Steve Waugh wasn't a great ODI player... his record speaks clearly on that.

Avg 32.9, SR 75.9 and 3 centuries in 325 matches... batting lowish in teh order means he didn't get many centuries, but it also means he had a huge number of not outs (58) so his average is not lowered by his position - of course if he was a superstar ODI batsman he would have batted higher in the order especially in his era. For what it's worth in the rankings his highest was 9, and for the most part he hovered in the 20's and early 30's...

195 wickets at 35.7 and 4.6 RPO

All acceptable, but none particularly brilliant.

lockyno1

Post Whore
He was decent, just like at this stage Watson is decent. Neither of them were/are awful players!

JJ

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
Watson isn't decent - and Steve Waugh won us the 1999 World Cup

Like Warne he was critical in that - but a game or two doesn't change 10+ years of solid but unspectacular performances

lockyno1

Post Whore
So? Watson could win us this world cup. Warne had as much to do with the 99 WC as Steve Waugh did anyway.