What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Sunshine" Watson Recalled for ODI final series!

Notell

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
I don't mind him as a opener but I just feel he will be a better 4. That said I will not mind him as opener as it allows you to play a extra batsman/bowler depending on the circumstances!

What do you mean by "extra"? Watson is neither.

Whatever position is his best, there are at least 2 better options than him.

Maybe your ulterior motive is getting him in the Australian side means he will not be stuffing up Qld in the state games.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Sunshine is QLD's best player, but the reality is he is in the Australian side and he deserves that. Watson is a decent batsman and bowler and he is improving both assets to his game all the time.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Improving? Yeah might be so, but he's also lending a helping hand to the current losing strategy of the Aussie ODI side

Notell

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Sunshine is QLD's best player, but the reality is he is in the Australian side and he deserves that. Watson is a decent batsman and bowler and he is improving both assets to his game all the time.

"he is in the Australian side" - tragically, this is true, but it is the only truth in all that you have said above.

Or ever.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Jobdog said:
Improving? Yeah might be so, but he's also lending a helping hand to the current losing strategy of the Aussie ODI side

So I guess Jaques' catching and Haddin's attrocious keeping by letting in byes had nothing to do with the loss then? You can't blame Watson- he was one of our best players!

skeepe

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Does it matter. Clark should be going at less as he is a line and length bowler. Watson is a more attacking bowler. Frankly Clark aint doing a good job. You can bag Watson all you want but the fact is that Clark is significantly worse in ODI's!

You gimp. Since coming into the team, Watson has an average of 45.75 with the ball and around 20 with the bat. :crazy:

skeepe

Immortal
I'll try and dig up the article I read yesterday called "Watson a myth"... good read that one.

skeepe

Immortal
Here we go. Different online title as to what was in the paper.

Critics turn on Watson
By Peter Badel in Auckland
February 18, 2007

A NEW Zealand radio station has called him a "myth", but Shane Watson has urged critics to stand by him as the besieged all rounder confronts a worrying form slump leading up to the World Cup.

Watson heads into the second Chappell-Hadlee limited overs clash in Auckland today under pressure after another lacklustre performance in the series opener in Wellington.

Batting at No.7, the Queenslander scored just eight. He then conceded 28 runs from the four overs he bowled as Lou Vincent and Stephen Fleming blasted the Kiwis to a 10-wicket victory.

Watson, who overcame a hamstring injury to play in the Commonwealth Bank finals against England, has averaged 125 with the ball and scored 54 runs at 18 with the bat since his return.

And his struggles have been noted, with the New Zealanders taking the long handle to him after Friday's embarrassing defeat.

The 25-year-old has been earmarked as Australia's next great all rounder, but he admits the road back from injury has been challenging.

"After being out for so long, it takes a while to get your head around playing at the next level so this series is important for me to get things in order," he said.

"I was disappointed with the way the ball came out (of my hand) at times (in Australia).

"Like anything, it takes you a little while to get back to where you left off.

"The best bowlers like McGrath and Warne take time to get back to their best after injury, so I'm not getting too hard on myself because I know it will take a bit of time to get up to speed.

"I've learned to be patient, but this is a really important series for me."

Since his international return, Watson has taken 1-51 and 0-46 against England in the Commonwealth Bank finals. After the Wellington nightmare, he was left with figures of 1-125 from 20 overs, meaning Watson has conceded more than a run a ball.

With the bat, he has scored 9, 37 and 8, prompting many to question whether he has done enough to clinch a World Cup berth.

But Watson, who averages 29.19 with the bat and 33.06 with the ball
in the limited overs arena, is determined to deliver in the Caribbean.

"A big goal for me is to have a really good World Cup with the ball like I did in India in the Champions Trophy," he said. "In the end, you want to earn selection on your merits by performing. You don't worry about the critics, I'm worried about performing.

"The expectation will be there but I have high expectations of myself anyway. I want to be one of the best all rounders, I want to be a guy who can contribute in Tests and one-dayers with both the bat and the ball."

Stand-in skipper Michael Hussey backed Watson, who will bat at seven after being flagged as a potential opener.

"I spoke to Ricky (Ponting) before we came away and we are keen to leave Watson in the middle order," Hussey said. "Obviously we're giving him advice but he has to be the one (performing) out in the middle. He'll get better and better with experience. He's a fine player."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21241790-23212,00.html

lockyno1

Post Whore
Well pity that article didn't take into account yesterdays performance. He was lacking match fitness before yesterday. I always said he needed 5-6 games to be fully fit.

aussies1st

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
So I guess Jaques' catching and Haddin's attrocious keeping by letting in byes had nothing to do with the loss then? You can't blame Watson- he was one of our best players!

Lol now you are blaming Haddin. Why not just blame the whole team apart from Watson, save yourself some time.

JJ

Immortal
blame the whole team expect Hodge...

Hussey maybe, but his captaincy was amateurish - hard ground to defend on, but he made it harder

lockyno1

Post Whore
aussies1st said:
Lol now you are blaming Haddin. Why not just blame the whole team apart from Watson, save yourself some time.

Haddin let through too many balls. He was poor behind the stumps.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Sorry but when has he been given a chance in his best position? He batted well under tough conditions as a opener even though he is a much better no4.
good players can bat anywhere in the lineup, from opener to number 11. The fact you keep pushing him to bat at 4, demonstrates that he may not have the ability that you try and try and try and try and try and try and try and try to make us believe

lockyno1

Post Whore
He bats top 3 for QLD FFS! He can easily bat 4, heck if Clarke can Watson can easily bat 4!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
and for qld he averages 50 odd, for australia he averages 30, if not less.

If he was a quality player, then why are you obsessed with him batting at 4? Quality players can bat anywhere. Also quality players have an avg over 29/30. If he is a batting allrounder like you say, that must mean he is the worst bowler in the country.

Oops, I almost forgot to copy your quality line; FFS!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lets compare Steve Waugh to Watson in ODI's then...

Waugh (batting)
class mat inns no runs hs ave bf sr 100 50 4s 6s ct st
ODIs 325 288 58 7569 120* 32.90 9971 75.91 3 45 530 68 111 0

Waugh (bowling)
class mat balls runs wkts bbi bbm ave econ sr 4 5 10
ODIs 325 8883 6761 195 4/33 4/33 34.67 4.56 45.55 3 0 0

Sunshine Watson (Batting)

ODIs 56 40 13 788 79 29.18 1097 71.83 0 5 60 9 13

bowling

ODIs 56 2266 1810 56 4/39 4/39 32.32 4.79 40.46 2 0 0

So now lets compare them. Steve Waugh only averages 3 more in batting and Watson is 2 better in bowling. Watson is a fine player, just like Steve Waugh was!