What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League 2008 Ins and Outs

bartman

Immortal
Hull KR are starting to look like a very different squad to the one that came up in the first year.

All this desperation in recruitment from various clubs, but 2009 franchises should be announced mid-season, and relegation or positio0n on table at end of 2008 will not actually be relevant, is that correct?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Leeds will probably announce something, if they have anything, when McClennan takes over. Now Sculthorpe has re-signed, I don't expect Saints to make any changes to their squad this season other than promoting a few more youngsters.

deluded pom?

Coach
bartman said:
All this desperation in recruitment from various clubs, but 2009 franchises should be announced mid-season, and relegation or positio0n on table at end of 2008 will not actually be relevant, is that correct?

Is it desperation to try and improve your team!

bartman

Immortal
Well yes, and not get left behind the eight ball I guess. Am surprised there seems so much movement this off-season though?

I think Super League survival in the new franchise era will be more about making sure the finances add up, rather than spend spend spend at any cost... higher up the table means more money through gate and merchandising, but it's a delicate balance to decide how much of that to invest and further increase the costs of the club.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I honestly think it's more to do with clubs wanting to succeed and make the 6 rather than concentrating on survival, bartman. That's a trap a lot of people in this country fall into IMO, focusing on avoiding failure rather than achieving success.

bartman

Immortal
Evil Homer said:
I honestly think it's more to do with clubs wanting to succeed and make the 6 rather than concentrating on survival, bartman. That's a trap a lot of people in this country fall into IMO, focusing on avoiding failure rather than achieving success.
Fair enough, just desperation to improve and get a step ahead on the competitors then? The last few seasons have been good with a few surprise debut play-off contenders emerging through the pack (Wakey, Salford, Hudds) if only for one season...

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's not looking good for Quins. Fa'afili has walked out on the club after signing a contract and Ste Bannister has left for Salford. Unless Castleford's recruitment is shocking or one of the other clubs makes a complete mess of things next year, I reckon Quins will be one of the leading contenders for the spoon.

bartman

Immortal
On first look at the thread title I thought they'd signed Terry!

Should be a good season next year, in the mid-table. Like EH has said elsewhere, I think Harlequins may be the concern in terms of on field performance (and crowds).

Evil Homer

Staff member
Tony Rae has now walked out on Quins too.

I have been a big fan of theirs in the past but I honestly think Super League in London will be in freefall until they find a way to pull out of the Union link-up.