What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League News

Perth Red

Post Whore
No wonder Australia is so far ahead, $75mill a year v $340mil a year in tv rights!
SL really needs to get itself on national FTA. It will never grow and attract decent sponsors until it does.

TDD91

Juniors
Brad Singleton to Wigan with immediate effect on a 3 year deal. It's an extra body up front which is what we need with Clubb & Burgess out long term. This weekend we're going to be very light weight against Hull, with those 2, Flower, Bullock & probably Byrne all ruled out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Salford have done such a cracking job since getting rid of Kooycash.
Just goes to show money isnt everything!

JFK Files

Juniors
Ian Watson must be an amazing coach, he certainly gets the best out his players. If Evalds is fit I’d play Sarginson in the centre’s along with Watkins

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ter-news/how-red-devils-went-fromthe-19065999
When Salford Red Devils take to the field at Wembley next weekend, they will do so knowing they must defy the odds once more.

For it's been a fairytale rise from the brink of oblivion to the biggest stage in Rugby League - and it has all been achieved by staying true to their Salford roots.

The club head into the Challenge Cup final against Leeds Rhinos as underdogs, but that won't bother their supporters.

Three years ago, they faced a fight to retain their identity when the club's then owner began moves to rename the club as 'Manchester Red Devils'.

Millionaire entrepreneur Marwan Koukash explored the option as part of plans to expand the club's fan base, grow the 'brand' and move some games to Old Trafford or the Etihad complex.

But supporters were furious at the idea of abandoning 140 years of history, forming an action group and unfurling a banner on the terraces reading: "Salford RLFC since 1879. Manchester Never. Salford Forever".

Backed by local MPs and the city mayor, the 'Salford Forever' fan group won their battle to keep the name, but it was to come at a price.

After taking over the club in 2013, when it was on the brink of collapse, the charismatic Koukash had invested millions in players and coaching staff.

Just a week after he announced that the name would stay as Salford Red Devils in September 2017, Koukash announced that he was walking away and would be handing over the club to a community trust made of club supporters.
0_ian-blease.jpg

His departure left the club facing financial oblivion. Without Koukash's backing, Salford were forced to operate with one of the smallest budgets in Super League.

Some feared they may have burned their bridges, but those involved with the club dug in and made the most of what was at their disposal.

Ex-Salford players Ian Watson and Ian Blease, who had been brought in by Koukash as the club's head coach and director of rugby respectively, were left to steer the ship.

Born and raised in the city, the former teammates know better than anyone what the club means to its supporters.

As a Red Devils player, Blease came within touching distance of getting to Wembley himself, scoring a try in the Challenge Cup semi-final defeat to Wigan Warriors in 1988.

Since taking up the reins, Watson and Blease have worked wonders in ensuring the club continually punches above its weight.

Despite boasting the second-lowest salary spend in the competition, the two Ians managed to guide the team to last year's Super League Grand Final.

Salford's big day out at Old Trafford was ultimately spoiled by St Helens, but it showed that the club was flourishing despite its financial limitations.

Twelve months on, with typical Salford grit and determination, the Red Devils came from behind twice against Warrington Wolves in the Challenge Cup semi-final to secure their spot in rugby league's greatest showpiece.

A first visit to Wembley in more than half a century now beckons, and it is all the more special for the fact it has been achieved while staying true to the club's Salford roots.

Much of the success is down to the hard work and dogged determination instilled by Watson and Blease.
It's not money that makes you win," Watson declared this week upon reaching Wembley. "It's the character of the players and the belief in each other that makes you win."

Watson and Blease, who live just a stone's throw away from one another in Salford, embody all that the club stands for.

"We live four doors down from each other, so there's plenty of conversations," explained Blease, a former club captain.

"I've even had him shouting over the garden fence a couple of times.

"We played for the club for several years, myself and Watto, we like being underdogs. This is what Salford's about - hardworking, loyal guys and we look after our own."

In the wake of Koukash's departure, the club struggled to hold on to many of its star players.

Yet the forced rebuilds have seen Salford improve - on and off the field.

The financial boost from reaching last year's Grand Final allowed Salford to clear some historic debts and put them in a much sounder financial position.

0_aj-bell.jpg

The AJ Bell Stadium, where Salford play their home matches (Image: Getty Images)
Speaking after the defeat, Watson praised his side's efforts and said they had managed to get the people of Salford to 'fall in love with their rugby team again'.

Budgets remain tight, but the two Ians, along with director Paul King - another lifelong fan and died-in-the-wool Salfordian - have demonstrated that they are among the shrewdest operators in Super League.

Watson has demonstrated his eye for talent, combining pick-ups from the lower leagues with gambles on unfancied, unfulfilled potential.

The fact next Saturday's game will go ahead behind closed doors may take some of the shine off the historic occasion, but it will take more than that to dampen supporters' spirits after a 51-year wait.

Some will cheer the team on from the Dog & Partridge pub in Eccles, which bills itself as 'Salford's number one supporters pub'.

The pub is one of the many small local Salford businesses which sponsors one of the team squad - Niall Evalds in their case - and it is this web of connections with the local community which has been a key to the club's survival without a millionaire owner.

After last Saturday's triumph over Warrington, Blease turned up at the pub to celebrate with supporters.

0_grand-final.jpg

Salford take to the field against St Helens in last year's Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford (Image: Allan McKenzie/SWpix.com)
"They came in and sprayed us with champagne," said landlord Dennis Riley.

"Everyone appreciated it because they can't get to games with everything going on."

What's the weather forecast for where you live? Find out by adding your postcode.

Due to the current restrictions, fans will need a ticket to watch Saturday's game at the pub but it is expected to be a sellout as Salford bid for their first Challenge Cup win since 1938.

"The whole city will be behind the boys," said Mr Riley. "It has given everyone a lift.

"Everyone has always doubted Salford, so it is a massive achievement with the budget and the limited resources we have.

"It is a shame we can't go but I hope they will bring the trophy home."

The Red Devils may be heading to Wembley as underdogs, but given their journey so far it is unlikely that they would have it any other way.

Win or lose, fans will know they did it the Salford way.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/mikolaj-oledzki-ready-historic-wembley-22828626

The Challenge Cup final has been littered with memorable stories over its 123-year history, but none quite like that of Mikolaj Oledzki.
When the Leeds Rhinos prop arrived in this country from Poland aged eight, his main sporting interests were gymnastics and swimming, and he barely spoke any English.

On Saturday he will become the first Polish-born player to feature in a Challenge Cup final, and does so with the public best wishes of his country’s foreign embassy.

Pockets of his family in Gdansk and Warsaw will be tuning in to watch Saturday’s clash with Salford Red Devils, the culmination of a remarkable rugby league journey that began as an excited teen on the Headingley terraces.

Oledzki recalled: “I remember my first game watching Jamie Peacock, Kylie Leuluai and Rob Burrow and looking up to them all straight away. My first time was in the old South Stand at Headingley and it was absolutely packed.
“It was cold, we were stood shoulder-to-shoulder with no room to move, but every time there was a try the stadium was electric with people jumping around and drinks flying all over the place. It was an amazing experience and from then I always dreamed of playing on that field.”

Oledzki’s own playing career progressed rapidly once he joined the Rhinos’ scholarship scheme, and he has represented England Youth, Academy and Knights before establishing himself as a starting prop in Richard Agar’s side.

He puts his development down to sheer hard work and believes others from his native country could make the grade.

Oledzki added: “Rugby league is slowly emerging in Poland and it would be great if it could expand. It’s a great sport to play and it’s one where you just need commitment, determination and hard work to be a success.

0_Hull-Kingston-Rovers-v-Leeds-Rhinos-Betfred-Super-League.jpg

Oledzki only starting playing rugby league in his teens (Image: Getty Images)
“Skill helps, but I’ve never been a skilful player although I’m trying to improve on that. But I was always willing to work hard from a young age, it’s got me to where I am now and shows there are opportunities there.

“When I started to play rugby at about 13 or 14, if you’d told me I’d be on the Wembley stage at the age of 21 I’d have certainly not believed you.

“When I reflect back on my rugby career, I never thought I’d get to play at Headingley on a Friday night never mind at Wembley. It’s awesome, you couldn’t write it.”

Saturday afternoon might yet provide Oledzki’s unlikely story with its best chapter yet.

https://www.salfordreddevils.net/a-long-awaited-whiskey/
John-James-Wilkinson-Web-1280x632.jpg

It was way back in 1987, when former Salford Chairman, John Wilkinson, was given a bottle of rather special whiskey by one of the club’s longest standing sponsors, Austin Wilkinson (no relation) of Austin Wilkinson Transport. He asked the Chairman to keep it until the club next reached the Challenge Cup Final, at Wembley, and then the two of them could open it and together toast the achievement that the whole of the city yearned for.

Sadly, Austin Wilkinson, died in 1990, but John has kept the bottle securely sealed in a cupboard, and upon the very long-awaited return to the stage they last graced in 1969, on Thursday afternoon he was joined by Austin’s eldest son, James, to fulfil the agreement John and Austin had made, over thirty years ago.

Shortly after the convivial meeting between the two had drawn to an end, John’s memory went back to the occasion the bottle first came into his possession, and he described his feelings on the marvellous turn of events which has come to such a wonderful culmination, and so triggered their get together.

“Austin was a man of great character, and what he said usually came to pass,” said John Wilkinson.

“I was asked to keep the bottle intact, and I’m just so pleased today, to have unscrewed the top and been able to taste the wonderful whiskey inside. We think that it could be getting on for fifty years of age, because it had been bottled eight years before he purchased it, but It really did live up to all our expectations.

“It was so good to have James come and represent his father, because James has carried on the connection with the Club for all the years I was there, and nowadays his company is the carrier for all my company’s products.”

He added: “When Salford walk out at Wembley on Saturday, I shall be filled with immense pride, because it was always my ambition to try to achieve that.

“James and I have just toasted the success of the club in reaching Wembley. We hope that they have an equally successful weekend, and we have vowed to have a repeat meeting to toast their returning with the Cup.”

For James, who had not had the occasional glimpse of the bottle in his cupboard to keep it to the forefront of his mind, it had not immediately been one of his thoughts, on seeing Salford win through the semi-final and on to Wembley.

“I had known about the whiskey from my father first buying it,” said James Wilkinson.

“He had got it from a British Rail Lost Property Sale, but I had forgotten about it over the years, and I hadn’t known he had given one of them to the Chairman until John happened to mention it, around ten years ago.

“We still do work for John, so we see each other quite regularly, so when Salford got to the Final, he mentioned about opening the bottle the next time we met up.

“The one thing about Wembley is that, unlike the Grand Final and the play offs, you don’t have to be high in the league to stand a chance of getting there. It is all about how you are on the one day and not the run of victories you happen to be having.

“I think I speak for most people when I say we had always believed it would happen. We just didn’t know when that would be. It also gives all the players the opportunity of winning the Lance Todd Trophy.

“Come Saturday, as the players walk out onto the pitch, I think it will bring a tear to my eye at the thought of my dad’s vision of Wembley, forty years ago, as a life long Salford fan, with his motto of ‘Never say die’.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...ld-Old-Trafford-November-impact-Covid-19.html

The Super League Grand Final will be staged away from Old Trafford for the first time next month due to Manchester United's fixture pile-up and concerns about the impact of Covid-19.

Sportsmail has learned that talks have been held with Newcastle United about switching the showpiece occasion to St James' Park, but with the club demanding a six-figure fee to stage the game, a traditional rugby league ground such as Leeds or Hull is more likely to be used.

The RFL have been able to secure Wembley for Saturday's Challenge Cup final between Leeds and Salford, and when confirming the revised Grand Final date of November 28, Super League hoped it could be staged at Old Trafford, as it has been every year since the inaugural event in 1998.

St Helens defeated Salford Red Devils in last year's Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford

34489202-8849279-image-a-27_1602884193861.jpg

United were willing to reduce their usual fee in the absence of fans, while the Premier League have also been accommodating in giving Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side an away game at Southampton that weekend, but other circumstances have left Super League with little option but to look elsewhere.

With the Champions League group stages having been contracted, United have European ties at Old Trafford in both midweeks either side of the Grand Final, providing little turnaround time to dress the stadium.

Moreover, with positive Covid-19 tests having had a significant impact on the sport, with Salford's Dan Sarginson and Jack Ormondroyd ruled out of Saturday's game for example, there is an acknowledgment that flexibility may be required with the date which United were unable to accommodate.

34489762-8849279-image-a-28_1602884219767.jpg

Headingley is one of the more traditional rugby league grounds that could hold the event

Newcastle are understood to have expressed interest having successfully staged Magic Weekend at St James' Park on a number of occasions, but the cost is likely to prove prohibitive.

Headingley is the obvious alternative, but may be deemed unsuitable if Leeds reach the final, so Hull's KCOM Stadium is also being considered.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So so weird to watch the CC final at an emPity Wembley. Great game that deserved a full stadium. f**k you covid!

Inkers75

Juniors
Sadly that is the current state of affairs here in UK. No crowds at any sport. Realistically it's going to be next year before anything changes.
So so weird to watch the CC final at an emPity Wembley. Great game that deserved a full stadium. f**k you covid!

Inkers75

Juniors
All sports play second fiddle to football in the UK, that is simply King. TV rights are eye watering.
No wonder Australia is so far ahead, $75mill a year v $340mil a year in tv rights!
SL really needs to get itself on national FTA. It will never grow and attract decent sponsors until it does.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12118915/york-city-knights-a-super-league-future

Next year will mark the 90th anniversary of what remains to date York’s sole appearance in the Challenge Cup final, a 22-8 defeat to Halifax in what was only the third time the showpiece had been played at Wembley.

Since then, the closest they have come to returning to one of rugby league's biggest stages is a semi-final defeat to Wigan in 1984, while they have not been part of the top division since the 1985/86 season.
But in recent years, something has been stirring on the rugby league front in the Minster City and the 13-man code has been enjoying a resurgence which has led to the York City Knights having their sights on earning a Super League spot in the not-too-distant future.

"When I first signed for York, rugby league wasn't doing particularly well, and I thought it was very much a football city," head coach James Ford told the Golden Point Podcast.

"As we're doing better, the more and more people are coming up telling me it's a rugby league city and they love it there.

"It's an affluent area, the people of York love an event...and they're getting on board with it. There are some talented kids in the area, there are three really good community clubs and there is some potential there."

'We even had nowhere to play for our home games'
The past 20 years in particular have seen some tumultuous periods for the city's professional club. Reformed as the City Knights in 2003 when the original incarnation, York Wasps, went under the previous year, the club's future was threatened again in 2016.

skysports-james-ford-york-city-knights_5153137.jpg

James Ford has been through plenty of highs and lows with York
Disputes with the then-owner and council, which had rumbled on after being left without a permanent home ground following Huntington Stadium's closure and demolition in 2014, saw the City Knights on the verge of closure.

Ford, who was in only his second year as head coach, was faced with various day-to-day challenges to contend with as well as juggling his responsibilities as a lecturer at Wakefield College and father to his baby daughter.

"We had massive disruptions to where we could train, we would have late changes to training facilities, we'd have training facilities pulled from us at the last minute and we even had nowhere to play for our home games," Ford said.

"Without getting my violin out, it was a challenge, but I felt like I learnt a lot from that. I certainly learnt to appreciate the position we're in now."

skysports-james-ford-rugby-league_5155515.jpg

We would have late changes to training facilities, we'd have training facilities pulled from us at the last minute and we even had nowhere to play for our home games.
James Ford

Despite all of that, the former Castleford Tigers and Widnes Vikings full-back still guided the team into the League One play-offs, although even then York were forced to travel to Toulouse shorthanded, via a flight which landed in Spain and necessitated a bus ride to France, and went down 62-10.

"It was 12 players we took to Toulouse and one of the boys tried to convince me to play saying 'just put a headguard on, nobody will recognise you'," Ford said.

"I don't know how it got back because we got an email from [now RFL chief executive] Ralph Rimmer's PA saying if I went on the field I'd be in trouble - which was probably a relief really because I don't know if I'd have been up to much."

The rise of the City Knights
York were eventually saved in December of that year when a consortium headed up by chairman Jon Flatman took charge, securing a ground-sharing agreement at Bootham Crescent with York City Football Club and bringing back the traditional amber and black strip in place of the blue worn since 2003.

skysports-york-city-knights_5155343.jpg

York have enjoyed a turnaround in fortunes in the past four years
Another play-off appearance in 2017 was followed by promotion to the Championship the following year, with York underlining their potential with a third-place finish and only being denied the chance to build on that this year by all competitions below Super League being cancelled as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

"We're in a really good place and a lot of that is down to Jon and his staff, people who are at work in the city building good relationships," Ford said.

"People trust us, people respect us as an organisation, and they want to be on board. It's good to work for people like that.

"We're in a good position now, but lots of clubs have improved off the field, got to a certain level then got things wrong.

skysports-york-city-knights_5155520.jpg

There is a real vibe around the city and around the club, and we're just excited by rugby.
James Ford

"We're really keen to get it right and I'm confident in the people above me, in their strategy and the direction they're taking us."

The club's success in recent years has seen crowds increase from a few hundred to an average of 2,300 in 2019 as well, while Ford and the City Knights' foundation have been active in the community with schools and the city's three amateur clubs.

All being well, both them and the football club should be in their new shared home of the LNER Community Stadium by the time the 2021 Championship season - provisionally, pandemic depending, slated to start in March - gets underway too, with experienced Super League players Ryan Atkins and Adam Cuthbertson among those signed by the City Knights for next year.

And while Ford acknowledges York still have work to do before they are fully ready to make the jump to Super League, he is excited about the way rugby league is growing in the city once more.

Latest posts