What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Round 1 Results

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Engage Super League:

Wigan 15 - 4 Salford
St Helens 40 - 18 Widnes
Hull 12 - 16 Leeds
Bradford 16 - 28 Wakefield
London 28 - 24 Warrington
Leigh 12 - 30 Huddersfield

Great opening round considering the conditions, with only Saints and Huddersfield enjoying any degree of comfort in their victories. The performances from relegation candidates Salford, London and Huddersfield were relatively impressive.

Team of the week: Wakefield - What a way to start the season

bartman

Immortal
An upset win for Wakey! And London started their season well. I actually think Huddersfield will improve on last season, and be in contention for the six.

But it's not looking good for Leigh or Widnes from the highlights I saw on TV... with two teams to be relegated at the end of this season.

Evil Homer

Staff member
To be honest,anyone who labels London and Huddersfield as relegation candidates is talking rubbish.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Evil Homer said:
To be honest,anyone who labels London and Huddersfield as relegation candidates is talking rubbish.

Why?

Huddersfield enjoyed a stellar collapse at the tail end of last season and you can never tell how new signings will go.

London were quoted as faves for second bottom by an awful lot of the pundits too. There are a lot of unknown quantities in their new signings too.

It looks like Leigh are droppers already but I couldn't tell you who the other side would be right now.

dazza

Staff member
can anyone tell me how zeb luisi went for the broncos.

i know he dropped a ball which led to a try, but what about the rest of the game.

cheers dazza

Nice win to Wakey there, hope they can make the 6 again this year. It was also good to see that the majority of the game had pretty close scorelines - no 60 point blow-outs or anything.

Also, does anyone know what all the crowd attendances were? I only heard that the Hudd-Leigh game only had about 4000 :|

PTB

Juniors
Apart from the error, Zeb Luisi played very well, looked sharp in attack and made a superb ball and all tackle on a Warrington Player (Appo - I think) after a clean break.

He's the first choice full back and doing very well for himself indeed.

Of course he'll make the odd error, but once he gets a bit more experience he appears to have the raw talent to be a very special player.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Weasels Ripped My Flesh said:
Nice win to Wakey there, hope they can make the 6 again this year. It was also good to see that the majority of the game had pretty close scorelines - no 60 point blow-outs or anything.

Also, does anyone know what all the crowd attendances were? I only heard that the Hudd-Leigh game only had about 4000 :|

Can't remember the exact figures but:

Hull - Leeds - Around 18,000
Bradford - Wakefield - Around 16,000
Wigan - Salford - Around 14,000
Saints - Widnes - Around 13,000

Then the letdowns:

London - Warrington Around 4,000
Leigh - Huddersfield Around 4,000

I think the last one shows there is no room for promotion and relegation anymore, certainly not when the teams coming up are so disadvantaged when it comes to quality.

Castleford who went down last season got two thousand more than London or Leigh for a minor cup game.

dazza

Staff member
PTB said:
Apart from the error, Zeb Luisi played very well, looked sharp in attack and made a superb ball and all tackle on a Warrington Player (Appo - I think) after a clean break.

He's the first choice full back and doing very well for himself indeed.

Of course he'll make the odd error, but once he gets a bit more experience he appears to have the raw talent to be a very special player.

thanks for that. i know him from here in nz. i was one of the trainers at his bartercard cup team, eastern tornadoes.

it`s good to here he is doing well over there. imo he didn`t get a fair go over here.

cheers dazza

terracesider

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
Evil Homer said:

Why?

Huddersfield enjoyed a stellar collapse at the tail end of last season and you can never tell how new signings will go.

London were quoted as faves for second bottom by an awful lot of the pundits too. There are a lot of unknown quantities in their new signings too.

It looks like Leigh are droppers already but I couldn't tell you who the other side would be right now.

Not quite. Fartown collapsed mid-season due to a very long injury list, but we had a reasonable finish. Relegation is not a worry.

DIEHARD

----
I'm glad to see London get off to a promising start. I don't want to see them relegated. Great to see Wakefield go so well.

Leigh look like they are in trouble. It will get nasty when they meet one of the Big Four.

alexisUK

Juniors
Bradford tried. But the big hope for this season, Ryan Hudson at hooker, is suspended pending dope tests/hitting coach, depending on who you ask. We'll definitely make the six, possibly top 3, but it's going to be a rocky season. Ah well, this way it'll be more exciting! In the game, Bradford underperformed, but Wakey really played a blinder too.

And the attendances:
Bradford vs. Wakefield - 15 137
Hull vs. Leeds - 17 080
Leigh vs. Huddersfield - 4 043
London vs. Warrington - 4 179
Saints vs. Widnes - 13 378
Wigan vs. Salford - 13 657

Castleford got more than Leigh or London for their opening tie vs. York with 5768!

popman

Juniors
Leigh had actually sold over 5000 tickets for the game and just over 4000 turned up because of the very poor weather that night. 700 tickets were sent to Huddersfield, unfortunately they could only sell 300....not very good travellers our Giants friends ;-) Must admit the weather was bad. Leigh have so far sold over 1000 tickets for their visit to Warrington & the final,amount is likely to be nearer 1500. Feel its a bit harsh to judge Leigh just after 1 game, I wonder how many Cas fans would be watching the Tigers if they had been out of the topflight for 10 years???? But fair play to them it was an excellent crowd and a record for that comp outside the final.

terracesider

Juniors
popman said:
Leigh had actually sold over 5000 tickets for the game and just over 4000 turned up because of the very poor weather that night. 700 tickets were sent to Huddersfield, unfortunately they could only sell 300....not very good travellers our Giants friends ;-) .

Huddersfield are still recovering from the nightmare of finishing bottom for five years with no relegation, a nonsense which lost us a lot of support.

I wonder how many fans Leigh have lost to Wigan.

popman

Juniors
terracesider said:
popman said:
Leigh had actually sold over 5000 tickets for the game and just over 4000 turned up because of the very poor weather that night. 700 tickets were sent to Huddersfield, unfortunately they could only sell 300....not very good travellers our Giants friends ;-) .

Huddersfield are still recovering from the nightmare of finishing bottom for five years with no relegation, a nonsense which lost us a lot of support.

I wonder how many fans Leigh have lost to Wigan.

When we played W***n a few seasons back in the CC, 9500 turned up with about 1500 from W***n. We will see similar figures this season against W***n, Saints, Leeds, Bradford & Wire. Leigh have 10 years of hurt to try and rebuild as you are correct to say that we have lost fans to W***n & Saints, my point wasn't a dig at Giants fans as it was an awful night & it was on Sky.

Latest posts