What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Round 2 results

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Leeds 30 - 18 St Helens Att: 21,225 sellout

Salford 20 - 16 London Att: 3,125

Wakefield 18 - 16 Wigan Att: 6,104

Warrington 26 - 22 Leigh Att: 11,400

Widnes 31 - 22 Bradford Att: 7,230

Huddersfield 28 - 36 Hull Att: 6,458

Wakefield top, Bradford bottom

:lol:

JasonE

Bench
I heard this was a magnificent game, can't believe we are not getting these games yet, also heard that over a thousand fans were turned away at the gate.

My mate went to Salford v London and he said that was also a great game.

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
An outstanding game, the '40:20' was the turning point I feel.
The difference between the two teams was when Leeds made a break, they had support. When St Helens made a break, there was no players backing them up.

I like the look of Salford, did quite well against Wigan but surely they should be getting bigger crowds. Or maybe I've got my 'Castleford can draw 5760+ to a Northern Rail cup game, so surely SL teams can match that figure' cap on :D

Speaking of caps, can't wait for tomorrow's Castleford-Featherstone game. It should be a sell out. 8)

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Watching it again on TV, Saints were utterly robbed.

The ref Ashley Klein called "From outside" twice on the 40:20 causing Albert to saunter back and watch it trickle out. As McGuire catches up to the ref and gives him an ear full he changes his mind and asks the video ref to look at it, who also gets it wrong. :lol: The fact that he told Saints one thing then did another though is what annoyed me. I threw the remote at the TV this morning leaving a nice chip in the glass.

The decision to penalise Saints when Long was erm 'tackled' under the posts was also mind blowingly bad. Long was tackled but the players fell off him, he gets up and looks at Klein. Klein then says "Go on" so Long passes it to one of the Saints queueing up to score on the left and then Klein changes his mind and penalises him. How Long didn't smack him in the face was beyond me.

Add to that the fact that a Lyon video ref decision couldn't be called properly because it was too bloody dark to see the ball and you can see why Millward has called for ref's to become full time and be held accountable for their actions.

Saints should still have won the game and should have taken the chances in the second half, but Klein's mistakes had a massive influence on the outcome.

It'll all come good though I'm sure and it was refreshing to see such a good game played in such good spirits. After that performance with 3 starters missing I think Saints can now be regarded as serious contenders.

Phillips

Referee
i knew Bradford would struggle :x they should have bought some more god dam players..

anyone know if Brad Meyers has been a good buy ????

bartman

Immortal
Don't know as haven't seen any Bradford footage this season. But by all reports they were overshadowed this week by Owen Craigie - who would have thought?

This round all results ended up pretty close, which is good to see.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
bartman said:
Don't know as haven't seen any Bradford footage this season. But by all reports they were overshadowed this week by Owen Craigie - who would have thought?

The Bulls have lost it.

Looking at their teamsheet for the Widnes game beforehand and I said to a mate they would lose. It just doesn't scare you anymore. Their pack was the thing that used to destroy teams, now with Anderson gone Vagana dormant and Peacock and Fielden not hitting top form it looks pretty average. Add to that the lack of a hooker in the squad and two underachieving halves and its not looking nice for Noble.

It will be so interesting to see who stands up out of the 'bruised' Wigan outfit still traumatised by the loss of Farrell & Davico and the mis-firing heavyweights of Bradford.

bartman said:

Him and hes cartwheel.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
eely said:
did anyone play close attention to jamie lyon at all on the weekend?
how did he go?

He looked okay. Defensively he was utterly perfect, Keith Senior the GB centre has never been so well shackled.

In attack though Lyon didn't do too much. He didn't get much quality ball to work with and on a couple of occasions he put close range passes to Darren Albert into the stands when a good pass would have resulted in a try. He seems to like the flashy one handed flick passes but they just didn't come off on Friday.

The most positive thing though is the lads attitude. I had fears after the Eels stuff, but he looks fit and is eager for work on the pitch. His enthusiasm is wonderful and it seems he is fast becoming a favourite amongst the players.

bartman

Immortal
Fairleigh Good! said:
The most positive thing though is the lads attitude. I had fears after the Eels stuff, but he looks fit and is eager for work on the pitch. His enthusiasm is wonderful and it seems he is fast becoming a favourite amongst the players.

Sounds good. Jamie played at stand off for Wee Waa after leaving Parra, so might need to get those long, hard passes out of his game to make good the connection with Albert?

He didn't get much ball in the Parra sides from mid-2002 to 2003 (largely because our forwards were going backwards and our halves were shocking), so I can see how that fed his dissatisfaction.

But even within that time he was always a solid player and his on-field efforts in defence and attack stood out. He could be back to his peak form - best centre in the world - by the business end of the season.

eely

Juniors
He looked okay. Defensively he was utterly perfect, Keith Senior the GB centre has never been so well shackled.

In attack though Lyon didn't do too much. He didn't get much quality ball to work with and on a couple of occasions he put close range passes to Darren Albert into the stands when a good pass would have resulted in a try. He seems to like the flashy one handed flick passes but they just didn't come off on Friday.

Thanks FG, I hope he does well over there even though I'm still bitter about him leaving parra.

His such an entertaining player to watch, he'll be awesome when he gets in his best form again - I'd give anything to be able to watch him. I agree with bart - his last year at parra he hardly saw the ball let alone had a chance to do anything with it. Such a waste. Hopefully he'll get the chance to show how talented he is over there.

LYONWEEWAA NO1

Juniors
Jamie has not yet hit his straps yet, i reckon come round 10 of the super league comp jamie lyon will start to cut up every time he touches the ball, talking about keith senior being so well shackled, so he should be, jamie is still good enough to slot straight into the no 3 for australia

Latest posts