What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supposed "Season Review' without changes

possm

Coach
Are you mixing the Leagues Club with the Football Club....again?

Aren't the two entities run by mostly the same people? I would like to see both the Leagues Club and the Football Club right up there in comparison to others.

However, the Football Club is of most concern to me at the moment.

Are you saying that the Football Club is in good shape financially?

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Aren't the two entities run by mostly the same people? I would like to see both the Leagues Club and the Football Club right up there in comparison to others.

However, the Football Club is of most concern to me at the moment.

Are you saying that the Football Club is in good shape financially?
How the f**k did you interpret that from my comment?
Seriously, You're an idiot :sarcasm:

twinkletoes

Juniors
Give the team a break, reduced injuries and new decent players should see this team improve over this year. The team should be a borderline top 8 team.

After having suffered for the last 2 seasons borderline top 8 for next season should be totally unacceptable. We have had 2 seasons to rebuild and have competent staff and players in place. If that is where we end up that would be another failure season.

Lets hope the whole culture within the club changes for next season and we perform as a committed club across all 3 grades

to_ddeath

Coach
Give the team a break, reduced injuries and new decent players should see this team improve over this year. The team should be a borderline top 8 team.

With a decent coach - 6th-8th.
Without 12th-anywhere below.

Thanks anyway Doostie....

T.

Minh

First Grade
I've seen enough of Price to see that he doesn't have it as a First Grade coach, my perception of all this with the club not pursuing a replacement is that they are not serious about being a contender for 2014 but are just happy to let the talent we have recruited hopefully win us a few more games than this year. The talent alone might jag Price a top 8 berth but with his coaching inabilities I doubt we will be a competition heavy weight. Would happily be proven wrong yes please, but unfortunately I dont think so.

beecww

Juniors
I've seen enough of Price to see that he doesn't have it as a First Grade coach, my perception of all this with the club not pursuing a replacement is that they are not serious about being a contender for 2014 but are just happy to let the talent we have recruited hopefully win us a few more games than this year. The talent alone might jag Price a top 8 berth but with his coaching inabilities I doubt we will be a competition heavy weight. Would happily be proven wrong yes please, but unfortunately I dont think so.QUOTE]

Absolutely correct Minh. We have just finished a season where not one side made the top 8.
Because of all the angst after the Parramatta loss when even the club facebook acknowledged how distressed supporters must be and then warned them that foul language would not be tolerated was an admittance that this was the worst performance in any year since Craig Young was coach. To appease us they gave us a crap 'Season Review' which has been nothing more than a game of musical chairs, same incompetents given different positions. Wendell Sailor knew what was happening and then gave a bullshit backflip. We are being treated as muffins, and as much as I wish that things would change they won't. Go back and read the garbage that Doust fed us at the Red V meeting, such as we know the number of every half back in the world and land us with Drinkwater, Sjeka, and Williams, not one a recognised NRL half. Dugan, Widdop, Morris and Nightingale with some help from Runciman and Quinlan will keep us competitive for a time, but then sadly I am sure it will all fall apart.

Minh

First Grade
I've seen enough of Price to see that he doesn't have it as a First Grade coach, my perception of all this with the club not pursuing a replacement is that they are not serious about being a contender for 2014 but are just happy to let the talent we have recruited hopefully win us a few more games than this year. The talent alone might jag Price a top 8 berth but with his coaching inabilities I doubt we will be a competition heavy weight. Would happily be proven wrong yes please, but unfortunately I dont think so.QUOTE]

Absolutely correct Minh. We have just finished a season where not one side made the top 8.
Because of all the angst after the Parramatta loss when even the club facebook acknowledged how distressed supporters must be and then warned them that foul language would not be tolerated was an admittance that this was the worst performance in any year since Craig Young was coach. To appease us they gave us a crap 'Season Review' which has been nothing more than a game of musical chairs, same incompetents given different positions. Wendell Sailor knew what was happening and then gave a bullshit backflip. We are being treated as muffins, and as much as I wish that things would change they won't. Go back and read the garbage that Doust fed us at the Red V meeting, such as we know the number of every half back in the world and land us with Drinkwater, Sjeka, and Williams, not one a recognised NRL half. Dugan, Widdop, Morris and Nightingale with some help from Runciman and Quinlan will keep us competitive for a time, but then sadly I am sure it will all fall apart.

Yes unfortunately the club seems content with their findings and mediocrity seems acceptable. We must have the weakest coaching ranks in the NRL with Price and Mc Gregor at the forefront heading the coaching ranks.

Peter Doust = Spin doctor and bullshit artist
Steve Price = Nice guy but utter failure as a Coach
Coaching Staff = Jobs for the boys
Review = utter waste of time

I honestly think Doust believes that the signings he has made will take away from the fact the so called review which I knew would lead to sfa will satisfy the fans.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I look at Manly as a team and can't help but wish we were more like them but it appears that we are the complete opposite it every regard.

They are tough we are weak. Won a premiership in 2011 and managed to stay competitive - we fell apart. They can manage their playing roster/salary cap - we have stuffed this up over the last two years. Average players that are recruited play well above their potential - our players go backwards. Strong leadership group - we have the softest captain and weakest leadership in comparison to the top 8 teams.

Anyone who thinks 2014 will be any different to the last two years is kidding themselves. If anything adding macgregor and young to the mix is a recipe for MEDIOCRITY.

possm

Coach
I've seen enough of Price to see that he doesn't have it as a First Grade coach, my perception of all this with the club not pursuing a replacement is that they are not serious about being a contender for 2014 but are just happy to let the talent we have recruited hopefully win us a few more games than this year. The talent alone might jag Price a top 8 berth but with his coaching inabilities I doubt we will be a competition heavy weight. Would happily be proven wrong yes please, but unfortunately I dont think so.

If you can see it, most members on here can see it, a vast number of fans can see it, then why can't those in charge see it. And if those in charge can see it but can't/won't do anything to address this problem, why aren't they removed by the members?

Saintsified

Bench
If you can see it, most members on here can see it, a vast number of fans can see it, then why can't those in charge see it. And if those in charge can see it but can't/won't do anything to address this problem, why aren't they removed by the members?

You see it through non-coach, non-administrators eyes

It's not as simple as you think

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Minh only mentioned the coach. Members can't remove the coach.

Members only have voting rights on who sits on the respective football club boards and leagues club boards, and to be a member of the football club requires you to be nominated by two existing members and even then you may not be accepted. The JV (St George Illawarra) board is entirely separate to this and members cannot vote there.

The best the average fan can hope for is become a member of the Leagues Club, which anyone can do, and vote for board members when the elections come around. Then you need alternatives to vote for as the incumbent board members are extremely hard to dislodge. If you want to run for the board, look out because the incumbent have a lot of things working in their favour.

That's not to say it can't be done. In 1995 we saw a good example of people power that eventually forced Geoff Carr to leave. But that was when we only had only one Leagues Club and one Football Club. Nowadays, we have a JV and fans have no say in the makeup of that board.

If you're referring to Red V members, then forget it. The only thing you get to vote for there is who is your favourite player.

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
You see it through non-coach, non-administrators eyes

It's not as simple as you think

I'm involved in tennis and played at a state level in my youth and now one of my sons is playing at state level. Through it I have almost daily exposure to players and coaches who have played or developed players at top 100 ATP/WTA level.

Yes the sports are different, but when it comes to the mental aspects of getting the best out of your players and making them mentally tough there are a lot of similarities.

Price is not a coach. He does not have the inherent ability to develop and motivate elite athletes to perform at their best. Over time he may get better, but it is not something that comes naturally to him.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I'm involved in tennis and played at a state level in my youth and now one of my sons is playing at state level. Through it I have almost daily exposure to players and coaches who have played or developed players at top 100 ATP/WTA level.

Yes the sports are different, but when it comes to the mental aspects of getting the best out of your players and making them mentally tough there are a lot of similarities.

Price is not a coach. He does not have the inherent ability to develop and motivate elite athletes to perform at their best. Over time he may get better, but it is not something that comes naturally to him.

obvious difference is individual sport & team sport.....

I hope we're both proved wrong, but agree with you re Price. He doesn't seem to be developing as a coach.

Last edited:

saints4me

Juniors
Capital Dragon.

"Price is not a coach. He does not have the inherent ability to develop and motivate elite athletes to perform at their best. Over time he may get better, but it is not something that comes naturally to him."

And you personally know that because......

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
Capital Dragon.

"Price is not a coach. He does not have the inherent ability to develop and motivate elite athletes to perform at their best. Over time he may get better, but it is not something that comes naturally to him."

And you personally know that because......

Just my opinion based on observing him as an outsider. So yep I could be completely wrong. But ask yourself:

Which of our young and upcoming players can you say is better for Price having coached him this year rather than just their natural ability coming through?
What evidence was there that Price took charge when things went pear shaped and tried to instil a winning culture?
How much real respect does he have from the players and how well can he deal with player dissatisfaction and behavioural issues?

All I saw in 2013 was a team on the slide that got worse as the season dragged on. Now I didn't expect miracles but Price didn't get the best out of our squad and seemed at a loss for how to turn things around.

Saintsified

Bench

I disagree as he has won comps at lower levels....also all three of my kids play competitive tennis and am also aware of the tennis world.

Paul Green has been judged on winning at lower levels in fact all coaches have practically... What other way can there be?

Price was thrown in with no plan for him till now aimed for 2014.

I'll reserve judgment till then.

pfrano

Juniors
I disagree as he has won comps at lower levels....also all three of my kids play competitive tennis and am also aware of the tennis world.

Paul Green has been judged on winning at lower levels in fact all coaches have practically... What other way can there be?

Price was thrown in with no plan for him till now aimed for 2014.

I'll reserve judgment till then.

Finally some common sense.

possm

Coach
Minh only mentioned the coach. Members can't remove the coach.

Members only have voting rights on who sits on the respective football club boards and leagues club boards, and to be a member of the football club requires you to be nominated by two existing members and even then you may not be accepted. The JV (St George Illawarra) board is entirely separate to this and members cannot vote there.

The best the average fan can hope for is become a member of the Leagues Club, which anyone can do, and vote for board members when the elections come around. Then you need alternatives to vote for as the incumbent board members are extremely hard to dislodge. If you want to run for the board, look out because the incumbent have a lot of things working in their favour.

That's not to say it can't be done. In 1995 we saw a good example of people power that eventually forced Geoff Carr to leave. But that was when we only had only one Leagues Club and one Football Club. Nowadays, we have a JV and fans have no say in the makeup of that board.

If you're referring to Red V members, then forget it. The only thing you get to vote for there is who is your favourite player.

Thanks Willow