What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supposed "Season Review' without changes

possm

Coach
For me it was bad enough losing Morris and maybe losing Merrin from our squad but we have very little to show for the loss of these high quality players.

If the Club came up with a Kasiano for Morris deal, maybe I could accept this as a move in the right direction. I could live with this mainly because Morris wanted to move on.

Morris for Kasiano is the exchange of two quality first grade players and a transfer of salary cap from the backline to the forwards.

In the same way, if Merrin decides to move on, we need a top level prop to rbe the replacement player. In the past we have lost top level forwards only to be replaced with players with the potential to do well.. A good administration would have completed the deal wih Merrin half way through 2014 and if a deal could not be secured, then sign one of the top level props who were completing contracts at end of season 2014.

As in 2014, all of our forward signings are a 'cross your fingures and hope they do well' category of player. We could get lucky or we could just have a repeat of 2014.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
I understand the negativity to some extent...the last time we missed the semis 3 straight years was the late 80's so for many of us, this is uncharted territory. Despite our lack of premierships in the last 30 year, we have always proven to be competitive which I think is all we ask as supporters.

Absolutely, we made some dire mistakes after Bennett left:

- the appointment of Price who was just an absolute disaster
- the recruitment of fringe first graders hoping they'd come good
- lack of identification and development of juniors to ease salary cap pressures
- having to pay overs for every new recruit to get us out of the big hole we dug.

I was on these forums the year Price took over, and many of us saw the writing on the wall then and were sadly proven right. If punter supporters like many of us on here could see it, what the hell were the people being paid to run the joint doing??

Not saying we have done all we can do to correct these mistakes, but I do honestly believe we are moving forward. The appointment of Mulholland, Hornby and Young are a step in the right direction. It may take a season or two of pain, but am confident we'll be competitive again before too long.

Mr Red

First Grade
What makes you say that our new purchasers are "turds".

a lot of journeymen players who are between 26 and 31 years old that havent established themselves at any club yet. (hardly young talent of the future)

ie - Rose, Le'strange, Keating, Henry, Marketo.... etc etc etc...
Purchased as bargains to relieve cap pressure, rather than any high expectations that they can take us to the top 4.
Yet somehow people putting their faith in these players for 2015.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
a lot of journeymen players who are between 26 and 31 years old that havent established themselves at any club yet. (hardly young talent of the future)

Purchased as bargains to relieve cap pressure, rather than any high expectations that they can take us to the top 4.

Did you say the same when Weyman, Saffy, Costigan and Sailor signed with us?

karuah6

Juniors

That's your opinion & you are entitled to it but no need to be calling our players as "turds"
if it was good enough for Bennett & other clubs that have used Mulholland to improve the purchase & retention of players, then it is good enough for us to what we have been used over the last several years.
I don't expect us to win the comp this year but as I said I feel we will be competitive & improve in following years with the structure on field that we now have.
From other posts that have been received, I am not the only one that feels that way.

BennyV

Referee

Weyman was an established first grade player prior to coming to us, who had battled with injury and judicial issues at Canberra.

Saffy was young, and came from union where he had represented Australia up to the age of 21, then played half a season with Tigpies.

Costigan, too, was an established first grader, as well as a QLD rep who had a reputation as a big hitter in defense.

Sailor was a dual international who was looking for redemption after an off-field indescretion.

And all those guys were coached by (arguably) the greatest coach /man manager in the history of the game.

Hardly comparable to the Great Mary's band of park footballers...Rose and l'Estrange were unwanted by their clubs, the rest have a literally been pulled from park football (same argument can be made for Rose too)

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Weyman was an established first grade player prior to coming to us, who had battled with injury and judicial issues at Canberra.

Saffy was young, and came from union where he had represented Australia up to the age of 21, then played half a season with Tigpies.

Costigan, too, was an established first grader, as well as a QLD rep who had a reputation as a big hitter in defense.

Sailor was a dual international who was looking for redemption after an off-field indescretion.

And all those guys were coached by (arguably) the greatest coach /man manager in the history of the game.

Hardly comparable to the Great Mary's band of park footballers...

Bullshit...

Weyman was lucky to get a gig anywhere else and was broken down.
Saffy played 3 or 4 games with the Tigers.
Costigan was sacked

Were they top grade players ? NO
Here we go re-writing history again

karuah6

Juniors

Good point Jubileeboy. Because Bennett picked the players everyone was happy.
Mate I see you come from the Sunshine Coast. Cheers as I am currently holidaying at Kirra on the Gold Coast & having a great time.

BennyV

Referee
Bullshit...

Costigan was sacked

Lol lucky to get a gig? He turned down an extension from the Raiders to sign with us.
Noted that Saffy only played a few games for Tigpies, but he was 23 and had played Union his whole life, including high level reps. Not comparable with our current recruits.
Costigan was sacked from Broncos - he then went on to play for Canberra, represent QLD and THEN sign with us.

Nice try though...

Well, some of us are...

Mr Red

First Grade

LOL...
why would I?
dont let creative editing from yourself get in the way of the facts.
if you read the full thread you would have noticed that the point was around needing a good coach to get the best out of fringe players...aka Bellamy and Bennett...
we dont have a good coach and havent for three seasons- and i wouldn't call the likes of Saffy, Weyman and Sailor journeymen who weren't established in the game...or had great credentials.
:roll:

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Bullshit...

Costigan was sacked

Were they top grade players ? NO

you conveniently left out Sailor from your argument second time around....

Costigan being sacked or not is totally irrelevant... he was a state of origin player, and was still young, and in very good form when signed with the dragons.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I really can't be bothered with your two posts.
You would boo Santa and argue black was white just for the hell of it.
Knock yourselves out boys

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Good point Jubileeboy. Because Bennett picked the players everyone was happy.
Mate I see you come from the Sunshine Coast. Cheers as I am currently holidaying at Kirra on the Gold Coast & having a great time.

Hi Karuah...good to see you enjoying yourself. Yeah, live at Noosa. Weather has been a bit all over the shop this week though. Have a blast mate and go The Mightys :D

possm

Coach
I went deep sea fishing from Noosa last weekend with my two sons. Great day. Good fish caught but very exhusting. We will have fish for dinner for about a month.

BennyV

Referee
I really can't be bothered with your two posts.
You would boo Santa and argue black was white just for the hell of it.
Knock yourselves out boys

Come on JB, that's not like you to back down from an argument so easily...there's no fun in proving people wrong if they just concede in that way!

TonyT6

Bench

Big difference is they were under Bennett, these numpties are under Mary.Thats like comparing Black Caviar with my little pony.

Not even Bellamy could get anything out of Rose & he turned Norrie into a starting premiership front rower.

love my saints

Juniors
Weyman was no longer wanted at the raiders... was thought of as too lazy, injury prone, and constantly suspended.
Sailor was way past his prime, and had been out of the game for how long?
Saffy (who i loved) was a nobody before he came to us.
Costigan i cant say anything about, he had his troubles but he was a top footballer.
Its true what everyone is saying, they were all coached by bennett.
But to sit here and say this new mob we have is coached by a coach who cant coach is a joke. How bout we give mary a chance?
Are we going against him because he is a rookie? Bellamey, Bennett, Hasler, Toovey, Cleary, they wer all rookies too once upon a time.
Im not saying Mary will be a supercoach, im just saying its to early to be calling him a shit coach.
As for these so called nuffies, i recall last year people bagging price for not giving O'Brien a run, now he has a contract. People complained we had no size, now we do.
I think we should all at least give mary and the boys a chance before calling for there heads.
Everyone is calling Mary a f@ckwit for playing duges in the centres, and praise hasler as a top coach, he he signed the worlds best winger to play fullback.
And before everyone jumps up and down that Morris can play fullback too, Dugan can also play centre.
And yes, No fullback option we have is better then Dugan, but the dogs wingers dont come close to morris either!!!
I dont want failure like anyone else here... but i believe things will improve drastically in 2015.
We need to turn up in numbers and support our team. The boys need us to have there backs.
Dragon for Life!!!!!

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Big difference is they were under Bennett, these numpties are under Mary.Thats like comparing Black Caviar with my little pony.

Not even Bellamy could get anything out of Rose & he turned Norrie into a starting premiership front rower.

Don't underestimate your little pony. I would say your little pony is an unknown entity, also.

grouch

First Grade
Michael Weyman, signed at age 24, was a 3-time Australian schoolboys rep (and captain), whose major career roadblock was injury.
Wendell Sailor was a highly accomplished dual international star, a former RLWC Player of the tournament winner, multi-premiership winner. A driven leader with a point to prove.
Jarrod Saffy, also only 24, was raw and unproven - yet had still played 8 NRL games before we signed him.
Costigan, 23 when signed, had already played 2 State of Origin games.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind can compare these players with the ones we've signed for next year. They are either less accomplished, less talented, older, or are yet to come close to NRL