What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surely Bracken is a chance.....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
to start in the test team this Thursday. He's done so well in India, that must mean hes gonna be even better in Brisbane against the Inidans. He deserves a chance.

Hope he gets it. Anyone agree?

Anonymous

Juniors
My tip is Bichel to carry the drinks.

Bracken and Gillespie to share the new ball, the only other possible option for 12th man as far as I can see is MacGill, but leggies usually do OK at the Gabba so I doubt it.

Turd Ferguson

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
to start in the test team this Thursday. He's done so well in India, that must mean hes gonna be even better in Brisbane against the Inidans. He deserves a chance.

He is much better than Brad Williams thats for sure. I hope he gets in too.

Anonymous

Juniors
I can't see them making Bichel 12th man. Considering the test is at his home ground, where he took 10 wickets in the match in last weeks sheild match. Hopefully that means Williams will get the drinks.

Doctor

Bench
It will be a tough call on anyone who is left out.

Bichel:

Positives: Bichel's 2003 has been an improvement on past seasons, taking 26 wickets and averaging 29 with the ball. His batting has been especially helpful in the lower order, in fact he is averaging 28 for the year 2003 which makes him a bowling allrounder in every statistical sense. He also has the home-ground advantage and is in wonderful first class form with 10 wickets last week.

Negatives: He won't blast a batsman out, and therefore while his bowling is reliable in most cases, he isn't a new-ball bowler because he lacks the pace. If Australia wish to capitalise on the grassy wicket and get some early wickets, perhaps Bichel will be overlooked because of a lack of pace.

Williams:

Positives: He performed quite well in his first test match, and has pace to burn. Of all three applicants for the two berths, Williams is one player who will revel in the conditions if he gets it right because he can bowl straight to the right handers and move it away off the pitch. He can get steep bounce much like Gillespie, and can blast batsmen off the ground if he is on song. He is more experienced than Bracken, but not by much.

Negatives: He sometimes lacks control, and could be targeted by India's top order if India are able to handle the conditions. Williams also tends to bowl well in bursts, which means that if his first spell is not up to scratch, he may be letting loose one end in a session that needs to be tight. The other two candidates also have had success against the top-line batsmen. While Williams produced some excellent ODI performances in India, Bichel is a proven performer in dismissing the danger men, and Bracken's dominance of batsmen like Sehwag etc may prove costly to Williams.

Nathan Bracken

Positives: He is a left-armer who has had success against India, in India. His rise into Test status is interesting because it comes on the back of decent first class form, but importantly a dominance of India's most lethal batsmen in their home territory. Bracken's accuracy combined with his swing is deadly on a pitch like the Gabba, especially with the grass. His angle approaching a right hander means swing away to the slips and also the potential to trap the right handed batsman in front opening up LBWs or caught & bowled. Bracken's success against India is his main positive.

Negatives Youth, inexperience, and competing with the two bowlers who have proven themselves capable of facing tough opposition. Williams has already made his debut, so that extra experience may help. Bichel meanwhile has plenty of experience, can bat, and is bowling at a better level than that of Brett Lee.
Bracken's accuracy can be shot to pieces sometimes, and this may work against him - if he loses control he tends to spray the ball around everywhere. Hopefully this won't happen.

Bottom Line:

Bichel has his spot, and it is a question of Williams or Bracken in my opinion. I think Bracken's success against India may push him ahead, although one wonders who will open the bowling with William's pace gone.

It is a tough choice, and every bowler has every reason to be disappointed if he misses out.

The Colonel

Immortal
The tip is they will head in with four fast bowlers and use Katich as the extra bowler - with Steve Waugh (go for the hunjie Steve!!!) if needed.

Rustay

Juniors
Yeah f**k MacGill off, i hate that dickhead. The only player to play for Australia that i actually hate. If he does play, i hope he gets tonked. All four quicks for me, as that is what will do the most damage to the Indians. Even with the four quicks there is a good amount of variety.

Camelwise

Juniors
I think you need MacGill to add that variety in the bowling, whilst Katich can bowl spin he's certainly got nothing on MacGill, I'd personally be going for WIlliams to carry the drinks.

knights04

Bench
Australia should go in with four quicks and MacGill 12th man so the Indians don't get use to our fast bowler friendly wickets just yet. Since Katich claimed six wkts vs Zim last time and scored a 50, he should remain.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They will not head into the first test with out a recognised spine bowler.

Like him or not McGill will play.

They will not leave Bichel out after his 10 wickets last weekend and also playing on his home ground. I saw Bichel against the pomms last yar and he was very unimpressive, but he is high in the pecking order and due to other withdrawals, he will probably play.

For me its between Bracken and Williams and I think Bracken should get the nod.

Alan Shore

First Grade
You have what, 92, 93 Test wickets? 10,000+ runs, and possibly 11,000 after this series.

Get my drift?

Stephen, bowl yourself at the Indian lower order! It'll be some easy wickets for you, and you just might achieve a unique 10,000 run/100 wicket double!

Anonymous

Juniors
Going by foxsports, Brakens only chance of playing is if MacGill doesn't play.

I hate Bichel and Williams so much right now :x

Doctor

Bench

They just as well then - I'm fairly sure Bruce Reid is the only Australian fast bowler without a spine these days. ;-)
And he is working with the Indian pacemen at the moment.

I think we can safely assume Gillespie, Bichel and MacGill are playing. Suggestions Australia would not play a spin bowler are, in my humble opinion, misguided. As for using Katich as a frontline spinner - we all remember Michael Bevan's 10 wicket haul at the SCG. Put it in the same category as Katich's 6-for.

While Katich's spin is useful, and at times quite successful, he cannot be considered an allrounder, let alone required to bowl potentially 25-35 overs of spin.

Going by foxsports

There you have it, say no more. What would Fox know about cricket? Very little.

The Colonel

Immortal
Oswin said:
As for using Katich as a frontline spinner - we all remember Michael Bevan's 10 wicket haul at the SCG. Put it in the same category as Katich's 6-for.

Oswin..... please - Bevan took ten wickets at Adelaide. He never actually took a test wicket in Sydney (plenty in the ODI's).....

Anonymous

Juniors
Oswin said:

They just as well then - I'm fairly sure Bruce Reid is the only Australian fast bowler without a spine these days. ;-)
And he is working with the Indian pacemen at the moment.

I think we can safely assume Gillespie, Bichel and MacGill are playing. Suggestions Australia would not play a spin bowler are, in my humble opinion, misguided. As for using Katich as a frontline spinner - we all remember Michael Bevan's 10 wicket haul at the SCG. Put it in the same category as Katich's 6-for.

While Katich's spin is useful, and at times quite successful, he cannot be considered an allrounder, let alone required to bowl potentially 25-35 overs of spin.

Going by foxsports

There you have it, say no more. What would Fox know about cricket? Very little.

Don't worry I know that, but every post needs backing :lol: ;-)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
PARRA_FAN said:

Good call PF................he got the nod.

Doctor

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
Oswin said:
As for using Katich as a frontline spinner - we all remember Michael Bevan's 10 wicket haul at the SCG. Put it in the same category as Katich's 6-for.

Oswin..... please - Bevan took ten wickets at Adelaide. He never actually took a test wicket in Sydney (plenty in the ODI's).....

Yes, you are very correct. A nice serving of humble pie for tea tonight. :roll:

As for Bracken's selection - it stands to reason that he is picked. His form in India has a great deal to do with it, but the added bonus of being a left-armer on a pitch that will swing and move laterally is an incentive that couldn't be missed.

Meanwhile Williams will return to domestic cricket for W.A's match against Tasmania starting on Sunday. All parties felt he needed to keep bowling, and that sitting in the dressing room as 12th man wasn't going to keep him in form. Much the same way Brett Lee returned to NSW when Bichel took his spot, this move also makes sense.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I wouldve rather Williams than Bichel, Andy is bowling way below standard hes getting belted all over the paddock. THey shouldve gone with Gillespie, Bracken and Williams.

Doctor

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
I wouldve rather Williams than Bichel, Andy is bowling way below standard hes getting belted all over the paddock. THey shouldve gone with Gillespie, Bracken and Williams.

Well that is all well and good in hindsight, but prior to this match Bichel was in some pretty good form - He had taken some key wickets both both forms of cricket, and seemed to have the knack of bowling a bit fuller to the batsmen and drawing knicks out of them. Plus he can bat a bit better than most. Add to that 10 wickets in the recent Pura Cup match for Queensland - he was a certainty.

Bichel bowled terribly yesterday - too wide, too short, sometimes too full, and India capitalised on Bichel's misguided bowling. He went for more than 100 runs off less than 20 overs which is really acceptable given the situation.

It will be interesting to see how the next Test match pans out by way of selection. Is Bichel's one and only bowling performance in the series sufficient to drop him, thereby ignoring his previous 11 months of bowling form?

Perhaps if Brett Lee is back for the next Test starting on Friday, Bichel may find himself pushed out, or perhaps Bracken. It will also be interesting to see if Williams comes back into the fray. Upon Lee's return Australia will have 5 fast bowlers and potentially only 3 spots available. Gillespie is a certainty, and Lee (if proven fit) will take his spot back (given no other bowler has performed exceptionally well in his absence). MacGill is the spinner, which leaves one spot for either Bichel, Williams or Bracken - it is musical chairs at the moment, and all three need to perform in the coming days in their respective matches, to force their way into the final spot - they need to each perform exceptionally well. Williams needs a 5-for, Bichel 4 wickets, Bracken perhaps 3 wickets etc.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Williams is really shitty at losing his place in the Test team. He got disciplined by the ACB after saying to the media, "Apparently I bowl with the wrong arm to play Tests".

Latest posts