What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surfing

Gregbyday

Juniors
I have been surfing for quite some time, but have a bad habit taking off and standing up. I can't do it in one motion.

Any one know of some tips to help.

Thanks

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
how long is "quiet some time" ?

generally its done in one motion and you do it without thinking

how soon you stand up depends on the wave, steep fast waves you need to get up pretty quick and I guess there is an acquired art as to when you stop paddling and stand up

slow waves that aren't so steep, you can take as long as you like

I guess it comes with experience,

Just keep surfing, you'll get the hang of it

Dutchy

Immortal
What Twiz says is true, try practicing the motion out on the beach before you head into the water also. Strong arm push and fast legs.

Gregbyday

Juniors
Been surfing for about 10 years. Like I said a bad habit I can't shake. Rode a boogie board for years before that riding drop knee, forming the habit.
Need to get the muscle memory going doing the correct action.

When I lay on the the floor the tops feet are on the ground, but in the surf they hang off the back. So practicing on the floor isn't working.

Boys in the surf tell me just to jump up. Not that easy. I need the exact motion to practice on land, so I can stop looking like a kook and take off deeper where I want to be.

I am strong just can't get the action correct.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
Been surfing for about 10 years. Like I said a bad habit I can't shake. Rode a boogie board for years before that riding drop knee, forming the habit.
Need to get the muscle memory going doing the correct action.

When I lay on the the floor the tops feet are on the ground, but in the surf they hang off the back. So practicing on the floor isn't working.

Boys in the surf tell me just to jump up. Not that easy. I need the exact motion to practice on land, so I can stop looking like a kook and take off deeper where I want to be.

I am strong just can't get the action correct.

Thanks for the feedback.

Have you tried a mal'?

Gregbyday

Juniors
Got a nice 9,6 Glasso, 6 2 Lost, 6 7 Jimmy Banks for the bigger stuff and a
6 0 MK11 Jimmy banks fish and about another 5 worn out boards under the house. (No lack of water time) Same result, my muscle memory is to go the drop knee then I stand up. Practicing my bad habit making it harder to break.

Cheers

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Got a nice 9,6 Glasso, 6 2 Lost, 6 7 Jimmy Banks for the bigger stuff and a
6 0 MK11 Jimmy banks fish and about another 5 worn out boards under the house. (No lack of water time) Same result, my muscle memory is to go the drop knee then I stand up. Practicing my bad habit making it harder to break.

Cheers

I had a mate with the same problem, he used to ride a shark biscuit as well, keep trying you'll eventually get it

Thomas

First Grade
Just keep practising. Do it at home on the living room floor. Just get used to jumping up in one motion and getting your feet right.

It'll come soon enough.

Gregbyday

Juniors
Thanks everyone.

Found a great vid on you tube. I can't post links yet but search for:

Master the POP-UP Core Exercise

Latest posts