What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sutton not in

Josh Reynolds and John Sutton to fight it out for Blues bench spot
BY:STUART HONEYSETT From: The Australian May 29, 2013 12:00AM

CANTERBURY five-eighth Josh Reynolds and South Sydney's John Sutton will train off against each other tomorrow in the ultimate State of Origin audition to determine who wins the final coveted spot on the bench for NSW in the opening game of the series next Wednesday.

The Blues announced yesterday that Reynolds and Sutton would join the squad today after Newcastle utility Kurt Gidley was forced to withdraw with a foot injury at Monday's team medical.

Gidley is in doubt to play any role in the series after doctors confirmed yesterday he had suffered a ligament tear and would be out of action for at least six weeks.

NSW coach Laurie Daley said last night he was still undecided on the make-up of his bench but needs to get the formula right as the Blues aim to end Queensland's seven-year streak.

He added that both players brought different elements to the team. Reynolds can cover at hooker and in the halves while Sutton can cover the halves and backrow.

Both players will train with the team at Coogee Oval tomorrow and Daley will make a decision after the session.

"It adds a bit of intrigue to it," Daley said. "Josh has got that versatility and toughness about him you'd think would have him ready to do it at State of Origin level.

"Johnny Sutton has been around, mature-age player, playing consistent footy with Souths, and a guy who has been on the verge (of selection).

"We'll see which one complements our team better. Both would do a fantastic job but we want to be clear what we're doing. We'll have one training session and make a decision after that."

Reynolds has been in the Origin frame for NSW this season alongside James Maloney and Todd Carney but missed out on a chance to push his claims when the Bulldogs pulled him out of the City team to play Country last month because of injury.

The Bulldogs' five-eighth was grilled at training yesterday morning about the chances of playing for the Blues following speculation he had been chosen to replace Gidley. "I haven't heard anything yet but whatever happens, happens," Reynolds said. "Obviously it's good just to be in the picture.

"If Loz (Daley) was to ask me I'd definitely be up for it because I've played a bit of hooker and I've played a bit of lock.

"I've seen him around (Daley) and he's said keep playing tough footy because that's obviously what Origin is about."

Sutton has been in good touch for the Rabbitohs and has been a driving force in the club's drive to the top of the table.

"It's pretty good news," Sutton said. "I'm 28 now. I've been playing pretty good footy so I'm happy to get a call-up. We'll just have to see what happens at training.

"I've always wanted to play Origin so I'm happy to be in the squad so we'll have to see what Laurie does with the team."

NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr said Daley and chief adviser Bob Fulton had settled on a replacement for Gidley early yesterday before the coach had a rethink on his strategy.

Daley attempted to get in contact with Fulton out of courtesy before going public but was unable to reach him as he was out of mobile range. That is what led to the lengthy delay yesterday in the replacement being named.

"Laurie has made up his mind what he wants but hasn't had a discussion with his senior adviser and he wants to inform him first of the change of plans on the basis that the team won't be required to train again until Thursday," Carr said.

The Blues trained yesterday at North Sydney Oval but will be given a day off today.

Having not been part of the Blues since 2008, Melbourne backrower Ryan Hoffman said he had never given up hope of representing his state again after being forced to play in England following the Storm's salary cap scandal in 2010. He returned to the premiers last year.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...blues-bench-spot/story-fnca0von-1226652551703

NSW Blues call up John Sutton and Josh Reynolds to replace Kurt Gidley for State of Origin one
DEAN RITCHIE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MAY 29, 2013 12:00AM

UPDATE: AFTER 10 years of heartache, South Sydney five-eighth John Sutton looks to have finally grabbed that elusive NSW State of Origin jumper.

Sutton and Canterbury five-eighth Josh Reynolds were last night added as 17th and 18th men to replace injured utility star Kurt Gidley.

Both players will enter camp today, a decision on who actually plays will be made later this week.

If that decision is made by Friday the omitted player would then return to play for his club side that night.

Gidley was ruled out with a ligament tear in his right foot and will miss six games. He could be available for State of Origin III.

DANGER: WHY GIDLEY COULD NOT BE RISKED

NSW coach Laurie Daley and chief advisor Bob Fulton consulted throughout yesterday before announcing Reynolds and Sutton.

Others players considered were Penrith prop Tim Grant, Wests Tigers prop Aaron Woods and Newcastle forward Willie Mason.

Sutton, 28, has been on the edge of Origin football for several years. His form this year in a red-hot Souths side has been brilliant. He made his debut for Souths way back in 2004 and has played 193 NRL games.

Reynolds, 24, started with Canterbury's NRL side in 2011 and has played 48 first grade matches.
GALLERY: BEHIND THE SCENES WITH NSW BLUES

"Both have been in good form and are certainly talented," Daley said.

"We haven't decided just yet which player will be 18th man. But I have no doubt both players are ready for Origin football.

"I consulted with Bob Fulton on the decision. We didn't want to rush it.

"Sutton was knocked out against Cronulla and Reynolds has a crook shoulder. We wanted to see how they pulled up. We'll see how they go."

Cronulla's Todd Carney was again overlooked for selection.

Reynolds said yesterday before his call-up that he was ready to play a utility role for NSW.

"That's how I grew up, playing utility," Reynolds said. "I probably played every position coming through.

"If Laurie was to ask me to play that role I'd definitely be up for it. 'I've played a bit of hooker, I've played a bit of lock and things like that. If it came my way I would be happy."

Reynolds conceded he was upset at being overlooked for the original side.

"I'm not going to lie, it's obviously a tad disappointing but it just gives me a bit of drive to play some consistent footy and hopefully get there at some stage," Reynolds said..

"People forget a lot of the time that Origin's a bonus. I'm doing what I love every week playing in the NRL and I just want to let people know that.

"James Maloney has been playing awesome footy and no one can hide that. I've just got to make sure that I'm up to his standards because he's setting the platform at the moment."

Elevating two five-eighths was questioned by one former great.

"John Sutton and Josh Reynolds called into the Blues squad very interesting," tweeted Mario Fenech.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...te-of-origin-one/story-fni3fqyo-1226652183872

hindyrabbit

Juniors
I think Reynolds claims of versatility are a bit shy, can play halves and hooker bit small for a lock in todays game. If they wanted a pest they should have picked ennis at hooker

NSW Blues coach Laurie Daley yet to decide on Josh Reynolds or John Sutton for bench spot
By Ben Horne AAP May 29, 2013 5:50PM

D-Day ... Sutton and Reynolds have one training session to push for Blues selection. Source: Tracey Nearmy / AAP
NSW coach Laurie Daley will wait until Thursday to decide whether Josh Reynolds or John Sutton fill the Blues' utility role for State of Origin I.

The pair joined the Blues in camp on Wednesday, with one session to convince the coach of their bona fides to be Kurt Gidley's replacement on the bench next Wednesday at ANZ Stadium.

Sutton and Reynolds played down the fact they're vying for the one position, denying they'll be trying to take each other out on the training paddock.

"We won't be doing any of that,'' said Sutton.

"Going to have a session tomorrow ... see what happens after training which way they go.''

Reserves: Blues call up Sutton and Reynolds + 16 Surprise: Gidley ruled out of Origin I + 13

Sutton said Daley's final decision will come down to what he wants from his interchange bench.

South Sydney five-eighth Sutton is big enough to cover the back-row, while Canterbury No.6 Reynolds is quick enough to come on as a dummy-half.

Reynolds is renowned for his enthusiasm on the field, and Sutton says he'll have to match his rival in that respect.

"Hopefully I can bring a lot of energy and I'm a big body so I can stop the Queenslanders if they run at me,'' Sutton said.

Reynolds said he was no stranger to the utility role after playing plenty of hooker during his lower grade years at the Bulldogs.

"Yeah 100 per cent, I grew up with that role,'' he said.

"Going back two or three years I was playing everywhere. Lock, hooker and I've only come into the five-eighth role last year and I've only just cemented that.

"I used to like (it at hooker), getting in there when the big boys are tired and having a run.''

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ot/story-fn31yxah-1226653193916#ixzz2UfYRAXN5

Big Sam

First Grade
What a tryhard Reynolds is selling himself in front of the media. They're not picking the team, Josh (though they will be leaked it before it's publicly released).

Sutton out to prove he's a man of utility in Blues camp
Date
May 29, 2013 - 11:42PM

Chris Barrett
Sports Writer

Jack of all trades: John Sutton will train off with Josh Reynolds in the Blues camp. Photo: Brendan Esposito
With every minute of his first State of Origin camp John Sutton's utility value increases. "I could probably play fullback if he wanted me to," the 28-year-old said on Wednesday afternoon, eager to please Laurie Daley.

"I could even play hooker if they threw me in there," Sutton added moments later. Then the clincher: "I've never propped but I certainly could if they want me to."

The last line, it should be acknowledged, was delivered with half a wry smile. But only half. It was a press interview that had all the attributes of a job interview. Sutton spent his first full day with a NSW side on Wednesday and he does not want to be simply taking home the training gear as a souvenir.

The South Sydney co-captain and product of the city's eastern suburbs is in line for a debut at ANZ Stadium in six days' time but before facing Queensland must first surpass another combatant.

Bulldogs No.6 Josh Reynolds, another prospective first-gamer, has arrived in the Blues' camp in Sydney alongside Sutton as a bracketed replacement for the injured Kurt Gidley. What is being billed as a "train off" begins on Thursday morning when Daley's squad begins on-field preparations for Origin I.

There was an orchestrated series of handshakes between the pair for the cameras on Wednesday but it will soon be down to business. Sutton is not particularly fazed by the extra pressure of competing with a teammate for the one place in the side but knows any extra string to his bow may be an advantage. "I'm happy with it. I've done well to get here and I'm happy just to go through the process and put my two-up in the ring. But it's whatever Loz reckons ... having a half hooker or a half back-rower," said Sutton, who made his first-grade debut in 2004 at centre. "I can play back-row, five-eighth, half ... even hooker if he really needed me to. Being a playmaker you know other roles, you know all these other positions quite well. I started off in the centres, then moved to five-eighth and ended up playing back-row for quite a while and then back to five-eighth. I'd be quite happy to fill in anywhere they need me. But whatever happens happens."

That Sutton is even here would have been a pinch-himself moment up until this season. Written off by many as a player of unfulfilled promise, and overlooked in the past by the Blues, he thought his Origin chances might have run their course. However, the facelift at Michael Maguire's Rabbitohs, and their transformation into a competition force, has thrust him into the picture after more than 160 NRL appearances. "I didn't think this day would come," he said. "Probably up until this year I thought I was pretty much no chance of ever playing for NSW. I thought my form has been pretty good and I've been happy with it. I thought I'd be there abouts. I'm just happy the way I've been playing.

"If I get a start I'll be really happy. I'm just really happy with the way things are going. My life is good outside of footy, I've been pretty happy with my footy, so it's just good for me right now."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-blues-camp-20130529-2nbhw.html#ixzz2Ui5ikuc3

derekmc

Juniors
Sutton will be playing for souths this weekend, expect call this arvo.
Heard Daley brought sutton in to take heat off mon Merritt selection and the fact sutton in much better form than Reynolds. Can't wait to hear his spiel"sutton is a great player and was a tough decision, he will get his chance one day".

Probably will on game 3 after NSW get belted first two

Big Sam

First Grade
WTF is going on?

BLfiw-ECAAA9EzY.jpg:large

It was on 2SM - Graeme Hughes mentioned it.

I believed they commiserated Josh Reynolds.

Am a bit WTF myself now too.

Big Sam

First Grade
Yeah it's Reynolds. It all started from the NSWRL's erroneous tweet. If they can't tell the difference between John and Josh how the f**k are we going to beat QLD?