What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SW Warriors 2011

Swamp

Juniors
THe Warriors have had another stirring victory downing South Perth 32-10. With Fremantle beating Rockingham we now have a three way tie for 1st place. With only a couple of games to go of the regular season the Warriors could spring a surprise & take out the minor premiership. There last game is against Fremantle, a team the club hasn't beaten yet & were knocked out of the semis last year. Exciting times ahead!

Swamp

albert

Juniors
Swamp
Just wondering how the website is going? (Thought it would be up and running by now)
Also, looking good in reserve grade. Will you guys be playing in first grade next year?

Swamp

Juniors
Swamp
Just wondering how the website is going? (Thought it would be up and running by now)
Also, looking good in reserve grade. Will you guys be playing in first grade next year?
G'day mate, yeah the website. I have spoken to several people about this lately but have been waiting a reply myself. The want for it to be up & running is there but content & application is missing.
As for stepping up to first grade next year is another tough one. I personally would like to see it happen & also upgrade to better facilities but the problem comes down to money & playing numbers.
To step up we would need an influx of players. Some players are just as happy running around in reserve grade. Do we loose players because they are not interested in the extra effort required or do we struggle to fill two teams as per Willagee & again loose players because they are getting flogged week in week out.
Several of the job opportunities we have for our players are starting to dry for a period therefore that carrot may not be around until the following year. We would need to assess everything at the end of the year, this is also depending on how we fair come finals time.

It was unfortunate to see Joondalup fail to fill a full squad for today's clash in Bunbury. I dare say their priority was to get a win against Kalgoolie so therefore they took their best squad up there.
Anyway the game was stopped with 20 minutes to go with the Warriors ahead 62-4. Luckily for us that no-one was injuried for our crucial game against Fremantle next week.

Swamp

Nuke

Staff member
Swamp, Joondalup Ressies players have barely been turning up for most of the season for reasons best known to themselves. As a committed Ressies player myself, I don't know what their issues are. We lost a few games early in the season, so a few players with weak hearts stopped coming then ('Why turn up if I'm gonna lose?'). Sure, we had a few injuries and a few guys got work away from Perth, but the rest still should've turned up and dug deep. Several players who started the year in Reserve-Grade have also been called up to be playing First-Grade for a fair majority of the season. Again, we had some weak hearts playing Firsts, some players got injured, and some had to leave for work reasons, hence the call-ups. The past 5 or 6 games, us Ressies have been playing with less than 13 on the field every week, and a number of those players have been called in off the hill to pull on the boots just so we can field a team.

This weekend just gone, several First-Graders couldn't make the trip to Kalgoorlie for one reason or another, so the last of the dedicated Ressies players (myself included) were called in to fill in (and even then Firsts had only 2 on the bench). To get minimal numbers against you guys (South West) was a good effort given the circumstances in my books. It's been a very disappointing season for Joondalup as far as these kinda players goes. The mindset seems to be 'I'll just turn up if I feel like it.' If it's cold or wet, a lot 'have work on' and can't come (or just don't bother letting anyone know and just not turn up). I hate that mentality. It needs to change for 2012, that's for sure, and I believe it will.

Good luck in the Finals, South West.

Swamp

Juniors
Swamp, Joondalup Ressies players have barely been turning up for most of the season for reasons best known to themselves. As a committed Ressies player myself, I don't know what their issues are. We lost a few games early in the season, so a few players with weak hearts stopped coming then ('Why turn up if I'm gonna lose?'). Sure, we had a few injuries and a few guys got work away from Perth, but the rest still should've turned up and dug deep. Several players who started the year in Reserve-Grade have also been called up to be playing First-Grade for a fair majority of the season. Again, we had some weak hearts playing Firsts, some players got injured, and some had to leave for work reasons, hence the call-ups. The past 5 or 6 games, us Ressies have been playing with less than 13 on the field every week, and a number of those players have been called in off the hill to pull on the boots just so we can field a team.

This weekend just gone, several First-Graders couldn't make the trip to Kalgoorlie for one reason or another, so the last of the dedicated Ressies players (myself included) were called in to fill in (and even then Firsts had only 2 on the bench). To get minimal numbers against you guys (South West) was a good effort given the circumstances in my books. It's been a very disappointing season for Joondalup as far as these kinda players goes. The mindset seems to be 'I'll just turn up if I feel like it.' If it's cold or wet, a lot 'have work on' and can't come (or just don't bother letting anyone know and just not turn up). I hate that mentality. It needs to change for 2012, that's for sure, and I believe it will.

Good luck in the Finals, South West.
Thanks for your honest reply Nuke, I was hoping for yourself or JG to reply. That is a real shame about Joondalup, while the results haven't been going your way I thought that you had reasonable depth within the club. Anyway, wipe 2011 off & start off fresh again next year.

Swamp

Nuke

Staff member
Yep, that's the plan mate..!

I have faith that it 2012 will indeed be better for us (so the world better not end then! Haha!).

Swamp

Juniors
The Warriors continued on with their good form with an emphatic victory over the Fremantle Roosters to finish on equal top with the Rockingham Sharks. The boys came out of the blocks firing & went to a 28-0 lead after just 15 minutes with probably one of the tries of the year called back for a forward pass. A bit of a contentious one!
After 3 consecutive penalties the Roosters finally found themselves in a position for a scoring opportunity. Due to great defence they were held up centimetres from the line. Two late tries saw the Warriors go in at 36-0 up.
The second showed more promise for the Roosters however more determined defence including some bone jarring hits once again denied them. With the Warriors big forwards hitting the line hard time & time again breaks up the middle became frequent allowing the small fast men to take full advantage. As per the first half the flood gates opened! Late in the half saw another great try disallowed for a forward pass to an unmarked man.
With the game done & dusted the Warriors were still keen for more points in the dying stages buoyed by the knowledge that they could still unseat the Sharks for the minor premiership if a try or two were scored. However it wasn't to be. All in all another great day for the Warriors on their last home game of the season running out eventual winners 64-0.
Due to last week's 62-4 fortfeit with 20 minutes to go by Joondalup, apparently it seems a protest of some kind was sent to the WARL & through their wisdom only 20 points for the game was registered for the Warriors for & against, leaving them only shy of the Sharks total! While the club has moved on, it is still a bit disappointing considering the Warriors have beaten all of the top four clubs by 40+ points during the season.
To put the Warriors second half of the season into perspective in the past five games for & against for the club stands at approximately 262-52. Anyhow, nobody is bitter a club in regards to the revised scoreline as we now have the opportunity to rub more salt into the Rooster's gaping wounds!

Go you Warriors!!

Swamp

Nuke

Staff member
Rockingham Ressies beat Joondalup Ressies 98-0 today. You would've needed a dead-set mammoth scoreline to do better in for-and-against column than them given what you were both on coming into today's games.

Best of luck to you, South West, for the Finals. I'll be going for you.

Swamp

Juniors
Nuke,

No criticism of yourself or the club, but considering we put on almost 30 points in the first 15 minutes against a team that was vying for second position do you not think that we could of put on at least a further 30+ points against a team coming second last with 20 minutes to go & only 12 players on the field?
How many players did you have yesterday?

Nuke

Staff member
If we forfeit our game, then should First-Grade have won, they'd also be docked the 2 competition points, thus costing them a spot in the Finals.

Or do you mean, why did we not stop the game early? If that's what you mean, then it was simply because it was the last game of the year and those who were playing felt they wanted to give everything they had for the last 70mins of the season. The game against your mob had no regular Giants players in that team. We had one semi-regular guy (as in he'd filled in every week since our numbers were desperately short), but that was it. The only regular Ressies players left were on the bus to Kalgoorlie that weekend. Again, the Ressies team was only playing so that our First-Grade team wouldn't lose the vital 2 points had they won otherwise there would have been no Ressies game at all down there that weekend.

Swamp

Juniors
No worries Nuke, I wasnt having a go at you just the politics of football I suppose. I didn't realise that the first grade team is docked if their reserve grade team forfeits.

kiwiperth

Juniors
Are the warriors going to have a 1st grade side in the competition?

I'm happy to say that the Warriors are a good premier grade side, but essentially they have an advantage over other teams not having to field a 1st grade team. Look at Willagee this year. Their 1st grade team might go well in the premier competition, but instead they have to put in 2 sides. Just wondering if the warriors are going to continue in the premier grade and be happy being at the top of that or if they are going to bite the bullet and put a side in, and then not run if not successful?

Swamp

Juniors
If you look at my earlier posts you will see that I have mentioned such things. While Willagee & others have been struggling they have been in the comp for some time with a decent history. The Warriors have only been in existence for 2 years in a region that has never had RL before & have managed to produce teams in almost all grades. This can't be underestimated by any means.
The eventual move would be for the Warriors to go up to 1st grade & continue in reserve grade but should this happen next year I don't know. Have a look at Leagues the around world, in all codes for that matter, & see how teams struggle for a few seasons in the top grade both on & off the field. It would be criminal to force the Warriors into 1st without a bit of support considering they expanding the game to foreign areas.
No-one complained about flogging them last year therefore no-one should complain if they are being flogged themselves this season. They haven't gone out & bought players, they have however been fortunate enough to secure a great coach.

Swamp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to see the Titans reach the playoffs. They have done wonderfully well in such a short space of time. Hopefully the Warriors can follow their lead and be in the premier grade in the not too distant future.

For now strengthening the jnrs, getting into schools in the SW and continuing to build the club should be priority and when the time is right and the club feels it has the playing strength then move up.

Swamp

Juniors
The SW Warriors have played themselves into their first Grand Final appearance with a 34-22 win over the Rockingham Sharks. The Sharks will now meet the South Perth Lions for the chance to meet the Warriors in the decider.
Go the Warriors!

Swamp

Nuke

Staff member
Good stuff. You can disregard my question in our PM conversation, Swamp ... I should've checked here first..!

Latest posts