What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap The Emblems

Jeffles

Bench
It maybe a bit controversial to the old fellas but I think it should be done.

At the moment Newtown wear the "N" emblem on their left breast and have the "Jets" emblem on the sleeve. I think this should be turned around.

I understand the desire to have a past connection. Wests Tigers, Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions all have connections with the past on their jerseys but they do not put those connections where the current emblem should be. The "N" is not the current Emblem so it should be where the "Jets" emblem should be.

Newtown sides from 73 to 83 had "Jets on the chest. For all other purposes (match prgrammes, website, other marketing) the "Jets" emblem is the primary tool. Yet it isn't the primary one on the jersey. It doesn't make sense. Newtown has been the Jets for 31 years, they should embrace it.

Another thing, they should move the shoulder emblem higher so that the sleeve sponsor can appear on both sleeves (like a normal sleeve sponsor. Give them credit.)

Opinions please?

Newtown Ear

Juniors
How dare you Jeffles!!!

The difference between The Western Bulldogs, The Wests Tigers and Brisbane Lions is they either merged or changed their names, thus losing their identity!

This Club has been wearing the Famous Royal Blue jersey since 1908.

The problem is you young upstarts want to change everything for the sake of change.

What is wrong with tradition??

Next thing you will want Newtown to change its colours or where a Super League jersey like Penrith!

Wake up to yourself! You have obviously got nothing to do except cause trouble. I hope you arent going to be doing this for the next 3 months while you are off uni!

JEFFLES. A SMART YOUNG MAN????

I'm agreement with Mr Ear.

The have been wearing the "N" for far longer than the "Jets" and I feel that is more a symbol of the Newtown club than the Jets badge, which they nicked from the New York Jets!

Bluebag

Juniors
HPH, it was only coincidence about the NY Jets, for one we do not have the football in our logo therefore they are entirely different.

Bluebag said:
HPH, it was only coincidence about the NY Jets, for one we do not have the football in our logo therefore they are entirely different.

Bluebag.... OK I'm sure that they are COMPLETLY different.....! The "N" is they same style and the "Jets" also looks remarkably the same...

;-)

mono_mal

Juniors
i agree with jeffles.
whilst some may argue that the 'N' emblem has long been part of the jets jersey since 1908 when the three stripes were added the 'N' emblem was changed to the modern logo.
this new jersey has therefore become a mis match with the return of the old logo whilst keeping the modern jersey design.
i think the old emblem should remain though perhaps on the sleeve or if not on the shorts.
also on the New York Jets issue the other day my dad asked if it was a Newtown hat i was wearing or a New York Jets hat.
for this to even be questionable to the casual observer means they are too similar for my liking.

izzo

Juniors
ny_jets_salsa.jpg

For those who dont know this si the NY Jets Logo

Jeffles

Bench
The difference between The Western Bulldogs, The Wests Tigers and Brisbane Lions is they either merged or changed their names, thus losing their identity!

Good point, but it was just an example to demonstrate that clubs can still have a connection to the past but not where the current emblem should go

This Club has been wearing the Famous Royal Blue jersey since 1908.

I never said change the jersey. That's why you are Newtown Ear and not Newtown Eye.

Next thing you will want Newtown to change its colours or where a Super League jersey like Penrith!

See above comment.

Wake up to yourself! You have obviously got nothing to do except cause trouble. I hope you arent going to be doing this for the next 3 months while you are off uni!

If by "causing trouble" you mean offering a refreshing and relevant alternative to the diatribe of complaints that we are used to from Newtown Eye and other Alan Jones listeners then yes, I will be causing trouble.

Your comments obviously indicate that you know who I am. Are you willing to name yourself Newtown Eye?

JEFFLES A SMART YOUNG MAN????

You've used question marks but your grammar is appalling. If I were to answer your question, it would be an emphatic yes!!!

I am not suggesting radical overhaul. Newtown already have the Jets emblem. It was worn by Newtown greats of the 1970s and 1980s. It is still the main emblem of the Jets today. It is on everything. Look at your Jets membership card, the sign at the front of the Jets Sports Club, the Royal Blue merchandise van, Newtown merchandise, a Newtown RLFC letterhead, The Jet Base Rag match day programme, the Newtown RLFC website, the price list at the Henson Park canteen and the Hill bar, the Admission prices sign at the turnstile.

The "N" emblem as the main one on the jersey is an anomoly, an inconsistency. I know it is a great link with the past. I own a bluebags jersey and have seen photos in "Out of the Blue" of great men wearing it. But it is not the main emblem anymore. Placing it on the chest of the jersey as the main emblem is not the way to go. Put it on the top of a sleeve.

Newtown Ear

Juniors
Jeffles,

You post arrogants remarks like you did and then not expect to get heated responses.

I dare you to make a formal announcement in front of a home crowd at Henson Park as to your thoughts in relation to this topic. You would be pelted with cans, half eaten steak sandwiches and anything else the disgruntled supporters could get their hands on.

As for you saying I know you, it is you making those assertions, particularly by assuming that I am an Alan Jones listener.

I think you have been hanging around at Rabbitohs.com for too long! You and your mate Izzo are not too sure where you belong! Izzo keeps posting a large Rabbitoh emblem. I wonder if he would tell Souths he wants that removed?

Perhaps you think you are the Botak of Newtown. Heaven Forbid!

Anyway, back to the jersey....

I've had a think about this and hows this for a option...

Keep the "N" badge on the left breast. BUT on the back of the jersey underneath the players number, why not have a huge "Jets" badge that covers the whole width of the jersey? It's an idea that I've seen on Wakefield shirts where they have the traditional "WT" combo on the back of their jerseys. If the big Jets logo was on the back of all the jerseys sold by the club then I think that would be a winner!

Tradition meets the 21st centry.

Jeffles

Bench
HPH,

Your Wakey idea is more in line with my suggestion. The current emblem is at the front and the old emblem is away from the chest.

Jeffles

Bench
Newtown Ear

I dare you to make a formal announcement in front of a home crowd at Henson Park as to your thoughts in relation to this topic. You would be pelted with cans, half eaten steak sandwiches and anything else the disgruntled supporters could get their hands on.

The response on this forum suggests some support. I have also spoken to fellow Jets fans and they like the idea.

As for you saying I know you, it is you making those assertions, particularly by assuming that I am an Alan Jones listener

I made the assumption based on the fact that you knew I was a uni student now on holidays. As for the talkback remark, it was a reference to the old-timer drivel The Parrot is notorious for.

I think you have been hanging around at Rabbitohs.com for too long! You and your mate Izzo are not too sure where you belong! Izzo keeps posting a large Rabbitoh emblem. I wonder if he would tell Souths he wants that removed?

I am a True Blue Newtown fan. I belong here as much as the next person. Born and raised in the area. As for your allegations about izzo, you'll have to take it up with him. But neither he nor I suggested the "removal" of an emblem (you words there). What I am suggesting is remedial function to correct the inconsistency an "N" on the chest creates.

It is obvious Newtown Ear that you are here to pick a fight. I have 3 months off as you well know. I can spend that time being the wax in Newtown Ear. But it will take more than a cotton tip to remove me. BRING IT ON!!!!

Regards

Jeffles (The Smart Young Man)

Jeffles said:
HPH,

Your Wakey idea is more in line with my suggestion. The current emblem is at the front and the old emblem is away from the chest.

Nah, nah, nah....

The "N" STAYS on the left breast. And the "Jets" is printed on the back of the jersey, underneath the players number.

2 True Blues

Coach
The bluebags have had a lot taken away from them over the years.

If there is ONE thing that instantly identifies them as who they truly are, " NEWTOWN " , it is the famous " N " symbol.

To take that final peace of Aussie working class heritage away would be the end.

To fall victim to change is to lose traditional idenity, and to me, and most supporters identity, tradition, and history is all we have left.

I wear my " N " with pride, and would have it no other way.

To win the premier league grand final with full TV coverage is what I live for, to poke the money mongers in the eye. To proudly see my " N " cross the try line and take the cup in my lifetime, ( apart form winning lotto ) is what I solely want in life.

Long live the " N ".

And long live the Newtown Jets.

Bring on season 2004.

Jeffles

Bench
I confused you HPH. I was referring more to Wakefield Trinity. What Wakey have done is more in line with my suggestion. That is, new emblem on the breast, old emblem elsewhere.

2 True Blues, good to have you back. Adn I'm not suggesting they should remove the "N". Just move it.

Newtown Ear

Juniors
Dont worry 2 True Blues, I wont let the famous "N" go away.

We must fight these friends of Super League, like Jeffles and his mate Izzo from taking away what is, as you describe, "Working Class Heritage".

Unfortunately the inner west is being invaded by yuppies who want to take away what we hold dear to us. It seems that Izzo wants to sell "Salsa" on the hill, where will it all end?

The "N" will never go away.

Jeffles,
I know where you are coming from, BUT the "N" must stay on the breast!

The "N" represents Newtown and what RL is about, if I wanted a jazzy super league jersey then I'd grab myself a Wests Tigers shirt. But I want to wear a jersey that represents history and passion, not some franchise.

izzo

Juniors
You people talk about tradition and keeping the N logo on the left breast. But Newtown isnt all heritage , if they where how come they changed logos? and changed from being the 'Bluebags' to becoming the Jets?. Changing of the Jersey to have 3 stripes on the sleeve and such.

I wouldnt be critiscing Jeffies and I for having a different opinion to yours the people you should be critisicing are the ones that destroyed Newtowns tradition by calling them the 'Jets' instead of the 'Bluebags' , changing the logo to a modernised one , putting the Club in a position to be removed from the NSWRL and so on.

cheers.