What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Cup - Games at SCG

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
After reading about the NRL considering using the SCG more often it gave me an idea for a secondary competition within the NRL for the sake of the idea we can call it the Sydney Cup.
The idea would involve a Sponsor putting up some prize money and the 9 Sydney teams would compete over 8 games each.
The draw would have to be done so each get 4 home and 4 away in the format.
Basically one of the regular season clashes between the Sydney teams they would also be playing for 2 points in the Sydney Cup.
Each team would move 1 home game to the SCG therefore having 9 traditional clashes at the traditional home each year.
Using the concept with the 2009 Draw the SCG could have hosted the following games

Rd 5 - Manly vs Wests
Rd 6 - Eels v Bulldogs
Rd 7 - Roosters v Dragons (Anzac Day)
Rd 8 - Bulldogs v Tigers
Rd 10 - Tigers v Rabbitohs
Rd 11 - Panthers vs Roosters
Rd 19 - Sharks vs Sea Eagles
Rd 25 - Rabbitohs v Dragons

Each of these games has a former Grand Final the day could use to promote.

The ladder would have finished like this

Dragons 14
Bulldogs 14
Rabbitohs 10
Sea Eagles 10
Panthers 8
Tigers 6
Sharks 4
Roosters 4
Eels 2

Interestingly the Grand Finalist Eels had a poor record against fellow Sydney teams and would have finished last.

If 2 teams finish equal than the winner would be determined by the winner from the match where those 2 clashed, the 2009 model wouldve been the Dragons from their controversial win vs the Bulldogs

The potential positive in this idea is teams that are not in contention for the 8 may have a good record against fellow Sydney teams and still be in contention for this title and hence giving some fickle fans a secondary motivation to turn out at the games.

Do you think this concept would work?

There may be some problems with other clubs not involved being upset at not having a shot at the prize money but not everything can be fair for everyone. i am sure the other 15 clubs would love a share of the money the Storm receive from News Ltd etc

Based on the 2010 games these are the ones I would like to see at the SCG

Rd 2 Parra v Manly
Rd 5 Panthers v Roosters
Rd 7 Dragons v Roosters (Anzac)
Rd 8 Rabbitohs v Manly
Rd 9 Manly v Dragons
Rd 10 Wests v Rabbitohs
Rd 18 Roosters v Rabbitohs
Rd 19 Sharks v Manly
Rd 20 Bulldogs v Parra

mortz

not a bad idea... but i would like the challenge cup system that superleague uses, this way reserve grade and jim beam cup could participate

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
This concept doesnt involve extra games, just gives extra meaning to the current games.
Possibly gives games that may have little bearing on the finals some extra meaning for the fickle fans

AB129*

Juniors
Absolutely brilliant idea. It would bring back the traditional/tribal aspects without being detrimental to the NRL comp itself and more season games would be important, with a sense of occasion... All without the problem of players playing more games than they already do.

Only problem I can see is those that are left out- I spose they could have a parallel comp, but that might not be necessary/worthwhile?

Love it!

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
I thought of the teams that are left out not being happy but everything cant be fair for everyone.
I am sure al the clubs would like a share of the money News Ltd pours into Melbourne.
I beleive the Titans will get a good return from the All Star game
Most out of Sydney teams dont have as much competition for crowds as the Sydney teams

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I like the idea, it has merit. But League has this image of being the Sydney game (in other states other then Qld). Introducing this would only strengthen that image.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well Sydney is the heart of the League world

The NSWRL's goal is that Sydney is the heart of the League world. The NRL's goal should be that AUSTRALIA is the heart of the League world. The RLIF's goal should be that EARTH is the heart of the League world.

flamin

Juniors
Teams already play for various trophies during the regular season - it's just that, like most things in our game, these a rarely promoted. I think your idea needs some tweaking, but perhaps has some merit.

RL1908

Bench
I like the idea, it has merit. But League has this image of being the Sydney game (in other states other then Qld). Introducing this would only strengthen that image.

The NRL does need to be mindful of the Sydney-centric issue, but it doesn't mean that the code should still not continue to do what is right for its growth/interest/support in Sydney.

In this suggestion here (which I think is a good one), it's hard to see how the non-Sydney clubs could do anything other than applaud it - it doesn't require any more games to be played, doesn't split the NRL into two conferences (Sydney and non-Sydney), and there is no Cup Final proposed - so why not. There's no reason that the 3 Qld clubs couldn't do the same thing.

I wouldn't go so far as to say all the Sydney Cup NRL games should be played at the one venue though.

The only difficulty I could see is how you build up the prestige of the Sydney Cup so that it actually means something to fans and the clubs themselves ie. so that they actually want to win it & celebrate it. Initially at least, I think that it would have to be a sizeable cash prize.

Great idea! Get it through to the NRL now!

A comp within a comp! Great way to create more interest and sponsors, for no extra games.

rabbit0h8

Juniors
I think this would be a great pre-season comp like the 7's rather than during the regular season.

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
I think you may have missed the point.
The concept is to increase the meaning of current regular season matches, not to create more games

footy1

Juniors
Tommy Anderson, this idea needs to be forwarded to the NRL immediately. This is probably the greatest idea I've come across on a forum. It makes absolute sense, definitely gives the clubs more meaning in the games, rivalries can be re-built and all this also involving and fitting in perfectly with the current structure.

I really hope you at least send this idea through to the NRL so that you've made them aware of this. Could revive Sydney clubs financially if there's extra meaning in these inter-city clashes.

Moffo

Referee
like it, good concept

send it through to the nrl. they'll read it when they get back from their latest 3 day bender that starts in chinese restaurants

Latest posts