What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Dragons

redVgirl

Juniors
yeh but its kind of endearing...like the chief is so obviously bias towards the blues and i love it. i reckon if i was on TV it would be soooo hard to contain my emotions. and my rampant swearing. footy brings out my most unladylike side.

petetheileet

First Grade
ikin is jus the north of the border version of Gould...i give him another 5rounds b4 people are calling for him to be booted

Misty Bee

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
The Voice of league is Darrell Eastlake and Graham Hughes.

err, that's be 2 voices, dingbat!!!!

The voice of league will be, until eternity, the great Frank Hyde. No-one, nothing will EVER compare to him.

gregstar

Referee
Misty Bee said:
err, that's be 2 voices, dingbat!!!!

The voice of league will be, until eternity, the great Frank Hyde. No-one, nothing will EVER compare to him.
geez charlie - do you ever tire of catching a vapour fly every time you go fishing?

Mr Saab

Referee
With all due respect to Mr Hyde, he didnt have the passion in his voice like an Eastlake or a Hughes you f**k wit.

innsaneink

Referee
IMO I always thought Eastlakes bunged it on just a tad too much, went overboard to the point of tedium ....where Hughes maintained a level of excitement and passion in his calls that matched almost perfectly what was happening at that time on the field.

* Sidenote

I crack up every time I hear it now, only on the w/end version of talkinsport, how they play old commentary after ad breaks etc....theres a bit of Hughes with Mossop, dont recall the game theye calling but its sort of....

Hughes: "It goes from Stuart, out to daley...daley onto meninga, meninga kicks.."

Mossop; "Why did he kick?"

Hughes: Stunned silence.

OK... the humour doesnt translate too well over the net, and the players i included arent the players in that ...I cant recall exactly who they are...Rex just seemed to forget he was commentating for a second and highlighted his ignorance magnificently.

It always gives me a giggle.

Mr Saab

Referee
I have heard that commetary too, and i think it is in the Bulldogs 1988 GF and not canberra players.

Rexxy

Coach
The only thing AFL does better than league is commentary. Watch Denis Commeti on Nine, and he is the perfect study of calm, expert,unbiased, almost dignified commentary. None of the shrill, empty headed shennanigans like you get from Rabbs, Matty, Gus and special son and MJ impersonator Ben Iken.

Its the pictures what people tune in for, not the threatresports in the commentray box. So STFU Rabbs and Gus you pair of old tired thesbians.Our game is exciting enough without having to create borrowed interest or whip up a frenzy.

NRL on Nine is opinionated bone headed rubbish and does our great game no favours.

And anyone who thinks Graeme Hughes is the answer needs a glassing.

nqboy

First Grade
petetheileet said:
ikin is jus the north of the border version of Gould...i give him another 5rounds b4 people are calling for him to be booted
Just without the keen football brain.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Rexxy said:
The only thing AFL does better than league is commentary. Watch Denis Commeti on Nine, and he is the perfect study of calm, expert,unbiased, almost dignified commentary. None of the shrill, empty headed shennanigans like you get from Rabbs, Matty, Gus and special son and MJ impersonator Ben Iken.

Its the pictures what people tune in for, not the threatresports in the commentray box. So STFU Rabbs and Gus you pair of old tired thesbians.Our game is exciting enough without having to create borrowed interest or whip up a frenzy.

NRL on Nine is opinionated bone headed rubbish and does our great game no favours.

And anyone who thinks Graeme Hughes is the answer needs a glassing.
Its almost embarrassing listening to them. If we want comedy, we have the likes of Roy and HG. The Channel 9 team try too hard, and never quite pull it off.

Would it be a channel nine directive? Or just the NRL coverage? Either way it'll be hard to remove without a major shake up. Its not just the current crop of NRL commentators, they're rarely impartial nowadays and all seem to be infected with the same nonsense. They probably get annual booster shots of stupidity just to make a bird of it.

Perhaps they think it helps with the ratings, and perhaps they're right on that point. Some of what I'm reading in the forums is almost an echo of the replay I watched last night.

innsaneink

Referee
Maroubra Eel said:
They are the Western Suburbs tigers, aren't they?:crazy:

No.

Even the Magpies arent Western Suburbs any more.
wests_logo(new120).gif

schnitzel

Juniors
What happens when Western Suburbs Magpies amalgamates with Balmian Tigers? Western Suburbs Tigers or Wests Tigers for short.... Rabs is spot on there

drake

First Grade
Rabs is hopeless. I spend more time abusing him than any of the players or even the referee.
Voss is the only one I like who calls the games, with Sterling as co commentator.

As an interesting comparison, have a listen to Martin Tyler on SBS calling the football. You don't here him talking about his mate in Young or crapping on with attempts at theatrics.

And I'd have Hughes any day of the week, so roll up the glassing Rexxy. :D

innsaneink

Referee
schnitzel said:
What happens when Western Suburbs Magpies amalgamates with Balmian Tigers? Western Suburbs Tigers or Wests Tigers for short.... Rabs is spot on there

In your world, maybe....but sorry, you like Rabs..is wrong.

Wests is Best

Juniors
Ok, Rex Mossop lost it a bit during his stint at channel 10 in the late 80's, but at his peak at channel 7 there was no better and there has not been any better commentator since.
Ray Warren is appalling. I understand he was not ever a player of any note, but he has watched more games of football than just just about anybody on this forum, and his knowledge of the game, in particular his interpretation of the rules is very questionable. He should be an expert on Rugby League with his experience in broadcasting.

Latest posts