What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney moves on F1 track

griffo346

First Grade
Sydney moves on F1 track

April 28, 2008
SYDNEY has moved a step closer to luring the Australian Formula One Grand Prix away from Melbourne.
A major feasibility study has been commissioned to determine whether the Eastern Creek circuit can be upgraded to Formula One standards.

The Australian Racing Drivers Club, which manages Eastern Creek, hopes to prove that a permanent circuit for Formula One can be staged there with a serious redevelopment.

The contract for the race at Albert Park is due to expire in 2010 and Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is threatening to switch the round to another country to increase television audiences in Europe.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23610532-23770,00.html

Jimbo

Immortal
Sydney moves on F1 track

April 28, 2008
SYDNEY has moved a step closer to luring the Australian Formula One Grand Prix away from Melbourne.
A major feasibility study has been commissioned to determine whether the Eastern Creek circuit can be upgraded to Formula One standards.

The Australian Racing Drivers Club, which manages Eastern Creek, hopes to prove that a permanent circuit for Formula One can be staged there with a serious redevelopment.

The contract for the race at Albert Park is due to expire in 2010 and Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is threatening to switch the round to another country to increase television audiences in Europe.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23610532-23770,00.html

When you add what it would cost to upgrade the Creek to F1 standard, and what Ecclestone will charge to host the race, there's no way it will be viable

Parra

Referee
Eastern creek is no good for F1. I believe an F1 standard track was in the original Eastern Creek plans - but these got curtailed to what we have today.

I would rather the GP stay in Melbourne or Adelaide. These cities really go into GP mode while it is on - the race is truly an event.

In Sydney a GP would just be lost - most people wouldn't care that it was on at all. Remember when we had the 500cc GP races.

If NSW is to host a GP - and I hope we don't - it probably should be on a purpose built track (NOT another street circuit) at Homebush OR even better - out in a country town like Tamworth or Bathurst or Coffs Harbour.

Jimbo

Immortal
Eastern creek is no good for F1. I believe an F1 standard track was in the original Eastern Creek plans - but these got curtailed to what we have today.

I would rather the GP stay in Melbourne or Adelaide. These cities really go into GP mode while it is on - the race is truly an event.

In Sydney a GP would just be lost - most people wouldn't care that it was on at all. Remember when we had the 500cc GP races.

If NSW is to host a GP - and I hope we don't - it probably should be on a purpose built track (NOT another street circuit) at Homebush OR even better - out in a country town like Tamworth or Bathurst or Coffs Harbour.

Adelaide was awesome, better to visit than Melbourne IMO. The problem with street circuits in general is the cost of setup and removal - I think I heard somewhere that the concrete barriers cost over $1m per year alone

It all comes down to viability, and how much coin the State Government is willing to throw at it

shaggy

Juniors
but if their is no lights for the racing at night, the race wont be their anyways

Hanscholo

Bench
I take it that the redevelopment would include track lighting? Cause that is the major issue at the moment, Europe doesnt watch asian races, and Europe funds the entire sport.

Red Bear

Referee
I hope it stays the f**k away from Sydney, we already have the f**kin V8's next year, dont need any more of this rubbish motor racing sports in NSW

Stagger eel

Staff member
I hope it stays the f**k away from Sydney, we already have the f**kin V8's next year, dont need any more of this rubbish motor racing sports in NSW

na! bring it on..that should rile hippies up even more. :lol:

Latest posts