What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney NRL finals move to bigger venues

big pat

Coach
for thirty years people couldn't give a toss, then we got wayne bennett, and all the jealous geniuss started with the hate campaign, well 2010 year of the dragons, we won the comp, what else did we expect, well they can f**k off as far as i'm concerned.

for thirty years people couldn't give a toss, then we got wayne bennett, and all the jealous geniuss started with the hate campaign, well 2010 year of the dragons, we won the comp, what else did we expect, well they can f**k off as far as i'm concerned.

very nice.

RedVDave

First Grade
Total BS for mine, what happned to you worked your arse's off all year so you can play where you want? See if we play Manly first week of the semis it gives us a great advantage as their record at Kogarah Jubilee & WIN Stadium are both poor we lose our advantage which we worked hard for all year it reeks of stupidity for mine, plus according to the official count we didn't even sell out the first week of the semis, I guess the Parra bandwagoner's cant complain though.

Red V Ultras

Juniors
What a f**king disgrace. What's the reward if you leading the comp ladder and play your semi in the oppositions field, I reckon all other teams will be liking the sfs or homebush idea. We have a great record at Kogarah and will get 22,000 Dragons supporters for sure, teams who come over to kogarah know it's going to be a tough task to get a result.

Oh well it's not about us red v members it's another win for the greedy fatcats in the NRL, Anz and SFS to fatten up their wallets on the ticket sales and use the excuse that morons band wagon fans miss out, yeah right gallop and politis can lick each others balls.

Also the Gong will not host any semis.

RedVDave

First Grade
What a f**king disgrace. What's the reward if you leading the comp ladder and play your semi in the oppositions field, I reckon all other teams will be liking the sfs or homebush idea. We have a great record at Kogarah and will get 22,000 Dragons supporters for sure, teams who come over to kogarah know it's going to be a tough task to get a result.

Oh well it's not about us red v members it's another win for the greedy fatcats in the NRL, Anz and SFS to fatten up their wallets on the ticket sales and use the excuse that morons band wagon fans miss out, yeah right gallop and politis can lick each others balls.

Also the Gong will not host any semis.

Great point, what do benefit/advantage are we season ticket holders awarded with? When the game is at ANZ/SFS there will be no need to have first dibs on the tickets because the likelyhood of either venue selling out seems unlikely.

northernsaint

Juniors
Agree that we seem hard done by by not playing at Win/s next season.
What is happening to the Kograh $13m upgrade? Does anyone know when it is to start? What is the garentee of this still happening with a new State Government likley, not far away?

STG 002

First Grade
Does Newcastle get a home semi if they earn it ?
If they do, this has purely been brought in against us.
I don't see the difference between us and Newcastle.

Father Ted

First Grade
Total BS for mine, what happned to you worked your arse's off all year so you can play where you want? See if we play Manly first week of the semis it gives us a great advantage as their record at Kogarah Jubilee & WIN Stadium are both poor we lose our advantage which we worked hard for all year it reeks of stupidity for mine, plus according to the official count we didn't even sell out the first week of the semis, I guess the Parra bandwagoner's cant complain though.

I agree Dave and further to that I have had it with the Telecrap dictating to the game and using Saints as an excuse.

RedVDave

First Grade
I agree Dave and further to that I have had it with the Telecrap dictating to the game and using Saints as an excuse.

Absolutley, I remember Rothfield wrote an article this year saying that Tigpies should play their 1st semi at SFS, which they did ...and what was the result? They lost to the team that plays their every week I am prepared to say had they played at Campbelltown, Leichart or even Homebush they would have won, was it worth the extra few bucks?

RedVDave

First Grade
Finals footy loses edge: Weyman

St George Illawarra's front row spearhead Michael Weyman believes a top four finish has lost its edge after the decision to move all Sydney qualifying finals from club home venues like WIN Stadium.
The Dragons, who have won the past two NRL minor premierships, have been stripped of the right to host a finals game in the Illawarra, or at Kogarah's WIN Jubilee Oval, after a decision made by club chief executives at this week's annual end-of-season conference.
Weyman said moving the game to the Sydney Football Stadium or ANZ Stadium could not possibly compete with the atmosphere created during this year's finals series.
"Kogarah's great to play at, both our home grounds are," he said.
"Suburban grounds, they create that atmosphere and it makes it unreal."
WIN Stadium is in the midst of a $29 million western and southern grandstand upgrade and is due to reopen for the Dragons' clash with Manly in June.
Wollongong fans were hopeful of hosting a final next year - provided the Dragons finished in the top four again - after the club's past two home finals were played at Kogarah.
But that chance has been snatched away from them.
A finals clash against the Bulldogs or Souths at ANZ Stadium would not only nullify any advantage, but provide a boost for their rivals, who use the Homebush ground as their home base.
Similarly, the Roosters and Wests play home games at the Sydney Football Stadium.
However, the move to the bigger Sydney venues would provide a massive financial windfall for the NRL, who take the revenue made from finals games.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...e/finals-footy-loses-edge-weyman/2015217.aspx