What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Semi-Final Crowd

Loudstrat

Coach
Jees some of you take this all serious.

Lighten up!

Of course in the current league situation the world cup isn't the highest quality competition, but what do you expect? Some sort of miracle where it somehow becomes a perfectly even competition overnight?

We need world cups like this to ignite the passion in the smaller countries. I think it's great to see the fans of the islander nations (in particular) come out and cheer on their squad with huge passion.

I bet you on the streets over there everyone will be talking about it and looking forward to the next world cup and trying to develop their national teams to be more competitive in the future. This is why we are hearing talks of islander teams in the NRL! The game has the capacity to grow!

Some of you just love being negative and ripping the rlwc to shreds, but it was always going to be a case of Aussies/NZ/England dominating.

Again, we need world cups like this to promote international football so that improvements can be made over time!

Stop being little whiney bitches and try and enjoy the fact that there is some league on over the off-season.

Mate, well said! :clap::clap:

The average crowds don't mean dick. They're just a gauge of the interest, of which there is none.

The money is made in the millions watching on TV. How many millions watched the cricket world cup worldwide compared to this dogturd. Game over.

If RL wants international then play games that make sense. Have a Pacific Nations Cup so like level of ability can play like. Go back to Aust v GB for the Ashes etc. 3 tests every 2 years. Play the Tests in Australia at venues and people who gives a sh*t, Brisbane, NQ, Newcastle, Gold Coast perhaps.

I get the feeling we only havea World Cup cause we feel after all these years we have to have a World Cup. It isn't worth sh*t. Drop it, go to fixtures that make sense.

Moffo

Referee
care factor zero, need to change the format. all my league mates have said the same thing. why dont we focus on a world cup for 7s as the preferred format. at least this will level up the playing field

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The union you are talking about got 80 000 to watch the wallabies v england last night. Add to this the crowds for the games featuring scotland, Ireland, Canada, The pacific Islands, France, Nz, South Africa, Italy, Agentina and Wales over the weekend and I should think they would sh*t all over a 16 000 crowd average. I understand that for league to develop it will have to start somewhere and that this world cup has been great for tonga, samoa, png and fiji but for league to compete with union internationally will take a while.

Also cricket got 15 000 to the 20/20 clash between Australia and a bullsh*t side of old bastards and up and comers called the Adam Gilchrist allstars. IF they can pull those numbers for a nothing game and league gets about the same for a world cup semi featuring the home side something is wrong with international league in this country.

I know you are passionate about league brutus and that is fantastic. I know you want league to grow internationally but mate take off the rose coloured glasses. Until league gets organised with proper management structures and a clear vision for the future it will continue to struggle.

The tv rights in Australia and the lack of promotion of the tournament are just two examples of how those at the top are letting the game down. Until that changes nothing else will.

Good post. Spot on in bold.

Re: World 7s - not an insane idea.

shiznit

Coach
baby steps people.... sure the RLIF could have done a hell of alot better with promotion and making 9 show the comp some respect.

but the competition on the field on the whole has been very good...

on the u17 womans world cup... i would have went if i was in auckland... i took my girl to 2 games here in Hamilton... there were lots of families and the prices were great.. $10 per adult.

you could also buy a stadium ticket for about $25 and you could go in and out of all the games at the one venue... RLIF could have done that imo...

Big Picture

Juniors
baby steps people.... sure the RLIF could have done a hell of alot better with promotion and making 9 show the comp some respect.
I fully understand the frustration many people have with 9's scheduling decisions. However, try for a minute to see things from their perspective.

There were 10 countries in this World Cup. Four of the ten are Pacific island countries, and three of those four combined have fewer people than any state capital except for Hobart. Can you really expect 9's programming execs to rate those countries? What does having 1/3 of the teams in a World Cup from such small countries say about a sport's international profile??

Two other countries (Ireland and Scotland) are very new to the game and have fledgling amateur competitions that so far have produced a small handful of players who've stepped up to the pro ranks, only one of whom (Brian Carney) is known to the Australian public.

PNG is a traditional RL country. If you look back at the postings from before their opening game against England, almost every English fan expected England to win big and they all saw it as terrible when they didn't. It's clear that very few of the English fans rated PNG as an opponent despite their proud RL heritage and the presence of Papuan players in the English pro game.

The unfortunate truth as that to get more respect from 9 for the next World Cup the RLIF needs to focus all its' development support on countries that can raise the profile of the international game to the point where 9 would show it live.

brendothejet

First Grade
I know amongst my group of friends no one was keen on going because it was going to be a boring match.

Also, half of them didn't know it was on and don't really like going to football games wthat start at 8pm on Sunday...

This whole tournament has been a joke - i don't care what you nincompoops (ie Brutus) say.

The tournament isn't a joke.

It was awesome fun. I went to 9 games and had a blast at each one.

I saw more free style play in those 9 games than i did in the entire NRL.

The NRL Grand Final has been boring for the past few years...hasn't stopped anyone going.

NRL clubs are looking to sign several players from the smaller nations and this can only be good for the game.

brendothejet

First Grade
Agreed. Give the game to Qld and Victoria.

Sydney bashing...is it fun for you guys?

Seriously, more people attended world cup matches in Sydney and NSW than anywhere else.

The Telstra Dome should have been full if Victorians are the sporting mad inhabitants of the Sporting Capital of Australia like they proclaim they are.

Nth Queensland could only muster 26k people to games involving heavyweights like England and Australia, and PNG.

The Gold Coast attendance at the Qualifying final was rediculous and the Rockhampton game was total wank.

Without Sydney this tournament would have fallen on its arse bad. We have supported it just fine thank you, turning up to plenty of 'nothing' games between minor nations, we have generated more media coverage than anyone else, we have generated plenty of revune and promotion for the game.

The sydneybashers have got to get over themselves sometimes.

Brisbane will get a big crowd for the final, but its not really hard to do when you only have to do it for 2 games. I wonder how many brisbane fans would be turning up to the final if they had already been into their pocket for 5-6 games like Sydneysiders have.

Yes I'm from sydney and I'm being parochial, but to continually bag off sydney when it clearly generates more money, more players, more attendences, more media presence is just bullsh*t.

Without sydney RL would die.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
What else can you whinge about? You don't like the colour green? Planets not aligned properly? The ARL balls up by scheduling a semi when your pet pig Doris is on heat?

So half of your friends thought the match would be boring, even though they didn't know it was on??????

You dickhead. Sheffieled Shield matches draw - what - 300 people? Origin draws 70k. How about club cricket compared to NRL? Is cricket dead?

And the Wobblies game - when was that on TV? I did hear that someone scored 1 try and 9 goals. No wonder Yawnion struggles to get on FTA TV in Australia.

When was the last time Australia v PNG or Fiji was televised in anything? Oh yeah, I remember - the Kangaroos v Fiji test in Newcastle in '97.

Keep whinging, knob jockeys. Instead, we'll watch some bloody entertaining Rugby League - and games where more tries are scored than in entire Yawnion tournaments.

Look i admire the passon you have for international league.

As for union, I didn't say it was better than league. All I did was point at that at the moment it is sh*tting all over league in crowds to international games. I didn't say it was a better or worse game than league.

I believe I also said that it is the administration that is letting down international league. Do you disagree with that as well ?

Cheezel

Juniors
I was at the game last night and enjoyed it! I was expecting Fiji to get hammered by a bigger margin. The Fijian crowd at the Southern side of the ground was sensational! Every time Fiji put on a big hit or made a good run they went crazy! It was great to see.:lol:

The crowd could of been better but it was on a Sunday night at 8pm! If it was played on a Saturday night I think their would of been 25,000 +

Reading through the posts on this thread I think some people don't see the bigger picture. To develop minnow nations there has to be some form of revenue stream and international competition. The World Cup is ideal for generating money to assist the smaller nations. Not only that but the game gets exposure outside traditional nations. Fiji and Ireland come to mind! Broadcast into 127 Nations and on-line.

15 Nations tried to qualify for this World Cup. So even before the World Cup kicked off it's effects were being felt 2 years earlier in the US and Europe. I would not be surprised if more nations try and qualify next time round.

So look at the bigger picture. If it wasn't for the 1995 and 2000 World Cup's nations like Lebanon, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Ireland, Scotland would not have local competitions today. The seeds have been planted they just need time to grow. ;-)

I also think the RLIF was on thee money with the Super Pool. Last night's result is proof and I hope they stick with the same format in 2013 but increase it to 12 teams to give teams like the US, Lebanon and Russia a chance to qualify. Once a few more nations can challenge the Big 3 then it will be time to ditch the Super Pool format. I don't see that happening until 2017.

Knightmare

Coach
Sydney bashing...is it fun for you guys?

Seriously, more people attended world cup matches in Sydney and NSW than anywhere else.

The Telstra Dome should have been full if Victorians are the sporting mad inhabitants of the Sporting Capital of Australia like they proclaim they are.

Nth Queensland could only muster 26k people to games involving heavyweights like England and Australia, and PNG.

The Gold Coast attendance at the Qualifying final was rediculous and the Rockhampton game was total wank.

Without Sydney this tournament would have fallen on its arse bad. We have supported it just fine thank you, turning up to plenty of 'nothing' games between minor nations, we have generated more media coverage than anyone else, we have generated plenty of revune and promotion for the game.

The sydneybashers have got to get over themselves sometimes.

Brisbane will get a big crowd for the final, but its not really hard to do when you only have to do it for 2 games. I wonder how many brisbane fans would be turning up to the final if they had already been into their pocket for 5-6 games like Sydneysiders have.

Yes I'm from sydney and I'm being parochial, but to continually bag off sydney when it clearly generates more money, more players, more attendences, more media presence is just bullsh*t.

Without sydney RL would die.

Townsville only got 15K to watch the Aussies play PNG. That was one figure which surprised me, as it was smaller than some of the years' Cowboys matches.

Noa

First Grade
To be fair to the people of Sydeny they're probably more worried about the whole state going down the toilet atm then a league match.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm just glad we didn't include farcical nations like Romania, Namibia, Uruguay and Georgia.

Some scores involving those teams in the 2003 RWC held in Australia:
Namibia: L14-67, L7-64, L0-142
Romania: L8-90, L3-50, L17-45
Uruguay: L6-72, L13-60, L13-111
Georgia: L6-84, L9-46, L19-46

With no score above 52 in the tournament and that score only being amassed by the (likely) winning nation... I think we did well to only put 10 nations in.

Noa

First Grade
I'm just glad we didn't include farcical nations like Romania, Namibia, Uruguay and Georgia.

Some scores involving those teams in the 2003 RWC held in Australia:
Namibia: L14-67, L7-64, L0-142
Romania: L8-90, L3-50, L17-45
Uruguay: L6-72, L13-60, L13-111
Georgia: L6-84, L9-46, L19-46

With no score above 52 in the tournament and that score only being amassed by the (likely) winning nation... I think we did well to only put 10 nations in.

No paraplegic's either, unlike the union WC can produce by letting 3rd world countries nations play full-time professionals.

Thats always a positive.

colly

Juniors
see wiki, i think it would be great to help the international game if more test matches and importantly a team from both countriea memtioned. it can be done cheaply, it would depend on how we structure it. pay 'good' local wages the team would be cheaper to run, dont let other nrl steal thier players and the nrl give a smaller team handout to these countries/nrl teams which should keep the rest of the nrl teams happy, any comment

JW

Coach
Pleasantly surprised with the crowd last night. Naysayers need to have a bit of perspective with this.