What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T-Rex in the Doghouse?

MSIH

Bench
i would have been prepared to let stewart and kite go to keep t rex and matai.i like kite and it will be very hard to find a replacement who is as professional as him.stewart 's thinking is baffling as i would be sure there would be a coaching role made available to him after his playing career, but to hold the club to ransom has me stuffed:x

Who's holding who to ransom?

It's called a "negotiation", and from what I understand happens quite regularly.

Tommax25

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...i-williams-to-follow-suit-20120430-1xv3s.html

As per the above article (just media reports) Both Snake and T-rex look to remain with the Eagles...

Ok, I have to say how. I thought we'd lose Matai, Stewart MINIMUM, and possibly T-Rex just to keep Foran and DCE. We've kept Foran, kept DCE, Stewart is almost certain to stay. T-Rex is now reportedly set to stay, and on NRL on Fox they mentioned he was asking fro 500k, maybe from the dogs and he's willing to take less at Manly, but still.

If its true Matai must be gone, for sure, although he has been tabled an offer. I don't know. I braced myself for losses, its part and parcel of winning a comp, but it looks like we might only be losing Matai? Love Matai, love him to stay, but that's best case scenario for sure.

If T-Rex and Stewart stay I'd have to say I'd be impressed with Manly management, and they need to impress me after the shit with Des.

One side note any word on Ballin? He seems to be the forgotten man in all of these re-signings/players leaving rumours. Do we have a hooker ready to replace him? Would love to keep him, but how? HOW? :shock:

Edit: just read the article and its slightly misleading, I thought it meant he was signing a new deal, 3-4 years or something like that, but T-Rex has the option for next year, which he is exercising. He could be off after that though. But having him next year is a massive boost regardless of whether he stays after that anyway.

Last edited:

^_^

Juniors
Exactly, I expect him to finish up his contract until end of 2013 and in that time Manly can use the cap increase as well as whichever senior players move on to offer rex a bigger contract.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Don't forget that the salary cap has risen again for next year. I may be wrong with the exact numbers but this year it is around $4.4 million and next year it goes up to around $5.25 million, that has only helped our cause.

Also, don't believe for a second what you hear in the media regarding salaries. The player nor the club will ever tell the media what the worth of the contract is. Either they are completely making it up, or the player managers are tipping them off with inflated figures to promote themselves to prospective clients. I mean T-rex is a damn good player, but no one will be paying him $500K at the moment. He only really came good half way through last year.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Ballin is the 2nd best hooker in the business IMHO. If he was from NSW the discussion on hooker would be done and dusted. He is not on huge coin, so hopefully nobody puts an offer in he can't refuse.

I can't see why we can't keep our team together. We already lost Hoppa, Robertson. None of our props are rated by anybody and none will go anyway without a push. Our backrow has Watmough, Stewart, T-Rex.. A bit weight there. Our halves are more expensive now but both combined are probably on less than Bunji or Thurston. Lyon, Stewart would be on a bit. Matai is on less, but may stay for less. The rest are rookies or cheap buys.

I hope we keep the culture that it is a great place to be. It costs us less to keep them.

Disco

Bench
Can someone give me a run down on the Long service cap excemption.

I read an article the other day saying Minichello would qualify to have 300k excempt under the cap (not saying he is on that much) and that Perrett qualifies for something similiar.

Now i now there is a ten year rule, but how much and how many players can qualify?

Cause we have Kingy and Watmough.......... B Stewart is close and a few others would be nearing that mark?

Tommax25

Bench

I read an article the other day saying Minichello would qualify to have 300k excempt under the cap (not saying he is on that much) and that Perrett qualifies for something similiar.

Now i now there is a ten year rule, but how much and how many players can qualify?

Cause we have Kingy and Watmough.......... B Stewart is close and a few others would be nearing that mark?

Isn't it 7 or 8 years at the same club when you start getting discounts, rising at 10 years? Not sure about the % discounts though, but if its 7 years then Watmough, King, Kite, Matai and Stewart would all be either close or on it. Can someone confirm?

zombie jesus

Staff member

Whatever the total allowance is, it's across the whole club. I've seen 100k, 150k and now 300k reported, not sure what the right number is, and it's for 8 year players.