What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taane Milne signs with Warriors.

Rich102

Staff member
Former Wests Tigers centre Taane Milne has been given an NRL lifeline by the New Zealand Warriors, signing a two-year deal with the club.

The Sunday Telegraph reported the deal, which stemmed from a handwritten letter sent by Milne to Warriors coach Stephen Kearney.

Milne was sacked by the Tigers during the 2018 NRL season after turning in a second positive drug test. His note to Kearney was simple.

"I told him I'm not a drug addict," Milne told the Telegraph. "I wrote to him — spelling errors and all — telling him that I wanted to play in the NRL again. That I owned up to my errors and I was on the right track. I knew I could offer something to the club."

According to the Telegraph, Warriors skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck reached out to offer support, as did the man who recruited Milne to the Roosters earlier in his career, Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan.

Milne leaves for New Zealand today will start pre-season training with the Warriors tomorrow.

The 23-year-old was born in Auckland and has represented Fiji on six occasions, and realises the opportunity he has been given at the Warriors after his mistake with the Tigers led him to a "wake-up call".

"I don't have a drug problem," Milne said. "I made a mistake. A really costly one and I embarrassed myself and my family. I felt so much embarrassment.

"It was my fault though and I can't blame anyone else. I did this to me. But I have learnt so much. I've grown up. I had a really good job and I lost it all.

"I thought my NRL career was done and people would just remember as a guy who had a drug problem. I want to use this to help people. Only now am I comfortable speaking about what I did.

"Alcohol was a factor and I've been off it for months. I've made a promise to myself not to drink the entire pre-season."

Iron Lion

Juniors
A very dynamic, robust and talented centre. This is what you call a true smokey as potentially is capable of being the best centre at the club and likely a starting centre by the next finals series. If Taane had not had the drug controversy he could possibly be a top 10 even a top 5 centre in the NRL today.

Very good signing if his life is turned around. Has qualities I liken to a Clinton Toopi and Dean Whare. I am a massive Toopi fan so pleased this guy gets a shot here.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Hope he works out.
I can't say I'm as familiar to him as the rest of you appears.

Our outside back stocks look rather healthy
RTS, Fus, Ken, Hiku, Beale, Kata, CNK, Milne, Ayshford

I'm sure there are more I'm missing.....

Hope he can resurrect his career. Had hopes for him at the Tigers, shame it never eventuated as we were lacking a good quality centre to pair with Marsters.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Hope he works out.
I can't say I'm as familiar to him as the rest of you appears.

Our outside back stocks look rather healthy
RTS, Fus, Ken, Hiku, Beale, Kata, CNK, Milne, Ayshford

I'm sure there are more I'm missing.....

Yes and No, don't get your hopes up at all for Ayshford and CNK as they are not viewed as likely candidates for first-grade play for the Warriors in 2019.

Matua

Bench
Another centre better than Kata who will likely watch as Kata Kearny Jnr bumbles through another season.

Campion

Juniors
Thought he was a great centre at teh Dragons (i'm thinking of the right guy right?) then seemed to fall off the face of the planet at Tigers (i'm reading drugs--which drugs?). If he's as good as i remember at the dragons then Kata is gone (but he won't be because... he's kearney's son).

I know Taanes Dad and have met Taane a couple of times. Very very quiet reserved young man. His dad is a hardout Warriors fan. And i mean hard out. When Taane was playing for Dragons in the ANzac game for the Dragons at Allianz there were 40k people there. His Dad had the Warriors jersey and cap on.
Taane had an awesum world cup for Fiji close to centre of the tournament. Signed with the tigers but slacked it in the offseason. Dropped his lip a bit about not making 1st grade as Naqaima and Esan Marsters were the 1st choice centres then got busted for cocaine and Ivan released him straight away

Like Iron said he could be a great centre. Hes got this opportunity now and he can pass to his wingers so IMO hes ahead of Kata

Latest posts