What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take that Daily Telegraph!

Knightmare

Coach
Honestly who gives a crap? If "our" Swannies win the Grand Final this weekend, the bandwagoners will whack off to Barry Hall (who's as Sydney as the Yarra River) while "Cheer cheer the red and the white" plays. The end. Brisbane Lions won three back to back but even now they get out-watched by Iron Chef half the time and most Queenslanders would only be able to identify Jason Akermanis from the team.

Once Dead

Bench
ali said:
You arrogant pricks! Rugby League does not belong to Sydney. Brisbane and Melbourne have just as much right to be there as anyone else. If they'd had different gaming laws in Brisbane, the NRL could have emerged out of Queensland. So the Telegraph can stick their campaign for an all Sydney grand final you know where.

As Cronulla hasn't made the grand final, I don't care who else makes it. The game we'll be watching next week will still be Rugby League. It's the sport I follow. Yes Sydney is in the AFL final, but I far prefer Rugby League as a sport and have no interest in that code of football. This is a big week for Rugby League, the media need to be reminded that this is a Rugby League town, first and foremost. Just because no Sydney teams are in the grand final, doesn't mean we'll lose interest in the sport we've followed for the last 29 weeks.

If you're deluded enough to believe that their agenda is simply to sell papers by sensationalising things then you decide to let them make fools of you by 'laughing' at them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting that you see an interstate final as being a great opportunity for AFL in Sydney yet don't feel that it is a great opportunity for the NRL in Melbourne? This attitude is why AFL is succeding in Sydney yet RL continues to struggle in Vic.

You would think given the NRL is 50% News Ltd and the Storm is owned by News Ltd that News Ltd media would be pushing them very hard in the media?

Glenn

First Grade
So what about the Daily Terror, where is there biggest market.

Brisbane..No
Melbourne..No
Sydney..Yes

Of course things are going to be written to suit the Sydney Market, just like the Courier Mail is written to suit the Brisbane Broncos, The Hun written to suit the Melbourne market.

ali

Bench
There is no doubt that when comparing Sydney in the AFL grand final, with Melbourne in the NRL grand final, Rugby League has more to gain.

In fact, we know how Sydney loves to jump off a bandwagon. Could an extended run of success for the Swans set them up for a greater fall down the track? Excluding last weeks semi, did the Swans crowds increase on average this year?

Brutus

Referee
Glenn said:
So what about the Daily Terror, where is there biggest market.

Brisbane..No
Melbourne..No
Sydney..Yes

Of course things are going to be written to suit the Sydney Market, just like the Courier Mail is written to suit the Brisbane Broncos, The Hun written to suit the Melbourne market.

And rugby league is Sydney's number one football code.

I dont think the Tele would be too concerned about the Melb vs Bris GF

Its parent company News Ltd is the majority owner of both teams, as well as 50 per cent of the NRL. The anti-Sydney campaign last week was just a ploy to sell more papers...good luck to them.

i dare say Adam Goodes will be on the front page of the tele tomorrow as he has just won the Brownlow Medal by getting 3 votes in the final game of the year to beat scott west 26 votes to 23

The Preacher

First Grade
El Diablo said:
And the News Ltd paper in Melbourne will not dedicate any space to the Storm.

That's absolute BULLSIHT. The editor of the Herald Sun is an avid league fan, born and bred in Sydney, and is related to one of Balmains best remembered footballing families.
He has a full time league writer and also sources from the other News publications where needed.
He attends as many Storm games as possible, and comes to games with me when in Sydney.
What you have written is nothing short of SIHT !!

Lowdown

Juniors
The Preacher said:
That's absolute BULLSIHT. The editor of the Herald Sun is an avid league fan, born and bred in Sydney, and is related to one of Balmains best remembered footballing families.
He has a full time league writer and also sources from the other News publications where needed.
He attends as many Storm games as possible, and comes to games with me when in Sydney.
What you have written is nothing short of SIHT !!

Good on you Preacher...Herald Sun has given the Storm support when other media organisations (and I'm looking at your The Age) continued to turn their noses up and flock to covering the AFL until well past saturation point.

Karl de Kroo everyday has well written articles on the Storm and I know many people who read the Herald Sun and become familiar with the Storm, despite not having any chance to watch their games on TV.

Could they do more, possibly, but you should not overdo it. Building RL in Victoria is not a sprint, like many thought back in 98 and 99. Careful planning, and grass roots development are needed, but most importantly, they need Channel 9 to get off their asses, and show RL at a decent time slot. This does NOT need to be live (like they did in 01/02 I believe which killed attendances), just reasonable. 9.30pm or 10.30pm is better than 1am. Why not replay the game at midday on Sundays instead of showing Tarzan etc etc.

Lets not beat ourselves up though at the moment. This week is to be enjoyed by all NRL fans, particularly those of the Storm and Broncos. It will be a classic game, and if people dont turn up, or tune in, its their loss.

I Say Boycott the grand final as who cares about non nsw teams in any case- A NSW based comp inckuding Canberra is the way to go and the quicker this is done the better it will be. Queensland could have it's own comp in any case.

A 12 teams NSW/ACT comp - the 11 current clubs from NSW/ACT in the Nrl plus central coast bears - 12 team comp - top 5

Ice777

Bench
marshall stalin said:
I Say Boycott the grand final as who cares about non nsw teams in any case- A NSW based comp inckuding Canberra is the way to go and the quicker this is done the better it will be. Queensland could have it's own comp in any case.

A 12 teams NSW/ACT comp - the 11 current clubs from NSW/ACT in the Nrl plus central coast bears - 12 team comp - top 5

Knob :lol:

pantherz9103

First Grade
marshall stalin said:

The mental asylum called they want their patient back.

Latest posts