What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take that Daily Telegraph!

Quidgybo

Bench
marshall stalin said:
I Say Boycott the grand final as who cares about non nsw teams in any case- A NSW based comp inckuding Canberra is the way to go and the quicker this is done the better it will be. Queensland could have it's own comp in any case.

A 12 teams NSW/ACT comp - the 11 current clubs from NSW/ACT in the Nrl plus central coast bears - 12 team comp - top 5
You've already got that - it's called the NSWRL Premier League. Enjoy.

Leigh.

pantherz9103 said:
The mental asylum called they want their patient back.

If they want you back and by your postings you should be locked up - you better go back then.:crazy:

clap your hands now sunny and let's see how fast you are :x

Brutus

Referee
I'd love to see a double page spread by the Tele on the Parra v Jets Premier League final. But we're more likely to cop four pages on how Barry Hall used to be really bad, but has changed his ways since coming to Sydney. You know the one they like to trot out every month or so.

airpoe

Juniors
Brutus said:
I'd love to see a double page spread by the Tele on the Parra v Jets Premier League final. But we're more likely to cop four pages on how Barry Hall used to be really bad, but has changed his ways since coming to Sydney. You know the one they like to trot out every month or so.
Could you get over it.:sarcasm:

I doubt that many would care about the Premier League final!

Brutus

Referee
airpoe said:
Could you get over it.:sarcasm:

I doubt that many would care about the Premier League final!

Get over what.

This is the highest profile Premier League/ Reserve grade final (in Sydney) for a while. With no Sydney teams in the big one I think a lot of local folk will be keen to see the Jets have a win. You must remember too that the game will be shown live on Channel 9 as well and a lot of people will be watching.

Double page spread - bring it on!

Front-Rower

First Grade
Knightmare said:
Honestly who gives a crap? If "our" Swannies win the Grand Final this weekend, the bandwagoners will whack off to Barry Hall (who's as Sydney as the Yarra River) while "Cheer cheer the red and the white" plays. The end. Brisbane Lions won three back to back but even now they get out-watched by Iron Chef half the time and most Queenslanders would only be able to identify Jason Akermanis from the team.

You could say the same about Billy Slater, Cam Smith, Greg Inglis etc about being as Victorian as the 'GABBA.

Honestly lets just get on with the game. This thread has become a whinge about nothing.

Go the Broncos ;-)

Tom Shines

First Grade
Yeah I thought that was ironic how they're barring up about the Swans winning the AFL, but don't want an interstate side winning the NRL.
Sydney for AFL, Melbourne for NRL pres.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Apologies for the response lag. Been busy with various things.

Quidgybo said:
But it isn't any media conspiracy to deny them attention.
Of course not. I haven't suggested that this might be the case - even in jest.

The Swans had been around well over a decade in Sydney before they started earning some of the spotlight. And it was the best part of two decades before they really were able to grab the spotlight in their own right. We need to be patient and recognise that we need to do the hard yards before we can expect to reap the rewards. This next week will all go some way to earning the Storm some of that attention, both now and in future years, but it isn't the ultimate payoff.

We can't rightly expect to dominate the headlines in Melbourne yet and given the work the Swans and AFL have put in to build their sport in Sydney we can't expect not to substantially share the headlines in Sydney (the Swans will be no means dominate, but they will definiitely be a big story along with the NRL GF). But not dominating in Melbourne does not mean no attention and no headlines. Be assured the Storm will get a huge amount of attention for their on field efforts over the next week. Not a majority or anything like it but also not the silence that would accompany their absence from the GF. It all helps build towards the day where we really *can* expect to dominate the Melbourne headlines.
I agree. I am encouraged by the increased attention the Storm have been receiving in Melbourne, and I have not argued that this Grand Final appearance will do nothing to increase their profile in Victoria. My objections to the current situation have to do with the timing, not with the actual event of an interstate Grand Final (as an aside, I was actually surprised when I first found out that it was the first time it had happened).