What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take the money and run Matty...

Broncodroid

Juniors
Take the money and run Matty...

With the NSW selectors once more showing that they have "favourites" when it comes to the selection of NSW teams, I would encourage Matt Orford to take the money and run to the ESL competition where he could make triple of what is on offer in Australia. "Make some easy money, see the other side of the world and win a competition or two with some ESL player awards to boot..." is what I would say.

No, I am not one all about money, though Matt Orford is no chance of representing NSW or Australia in his career unless Andrew Johns, Craig Gower, Brett Kimmorley and now Trent Barrett is injured. Players want to represent at the highest level, Orford will not have that chance and would only be sticking around to win a premiership in the NRL competition which in itself is a great honor don't get me wrong.

Orford is 28-29, he could sign for 2-3 years in the weaker ESL comp earning over a 1 million pounds, set his family up for life after football and comeback ending his career in the NRL in which by then the Central Coast would have a team in the competition. The chance to win a premiership would still be on offer.

It is something I am sure he is thinking about....

I would hate to lose him from the NRL, though with his career at the later stages, "life after football" enters the thought process for ALL League players. With the money on offer and no chance of getting a rep jersey, the big dollars and chance to experience the world would IMO be all too tempting.

Push s### up hill with Souths or make a squillion dollars heading O/S playing the game you love? Easy decision for a player with no hope of representing at the highest level...

legend

Coach
He'll probably go because he is nothing more than a mercenary and that's half the reason he hans't won a premiership. No loyalty.

He's only 27 btw.

mightybears

Bench
legend said:
He'll probably go because he is nothing more than a mercenary and that's half the reason he hans't won a premiership. No loyalty.

he left the northern evils because they picked up brett 'you offered me how much!' kimmorley, he has been loyal to the storm
so what that he has a manager that does his best by his client by talking it up in the media
orford probably feels, were he back in sydney he might get more of a 'seeing' for rep matches

if orford is mercenary then what is braith anasta, he of the wah i'll go to union if you don't pick me in origin/offer my millions wah?

woodgers

Bench
My thoughts exactly Broncodroid. Orford has outplayed all those halfbacks this year and still doesn't get a look in. Even if they all went down I reckon Sticky would go for 'wonderboy' because he had 1 game experience last year.

Some players are hard done by, Orford is one of them. You play your guts out for things like rep jumpers only to see less deserving players get picked.

I would prefer to be a rich retired footballer than a player who is not remembered for anything special thanks to selector bias.

shadow grinder

First Grade
orford hasnt played well enough for the last few weeks....kimmorley should have been given a second chance.

Playing origin and tests are cool.....but winning NRL premierships is what it's all about. Ask Big Mal, ask Ricky Stuart, ask Laurie Daley, ask Brad Fittler,...ask anyone but Wally Lewis. It's the pinnacle of this sport...so special that many GREAT players haven't achieved it.

Now Matt Orford could stuff off to England for a million dollars, but the Storm are a good young team, and they're 1 or 2 props short of a premiership calibre side. They're building something pretty special in Melbourne, and he may want to very well stay part of it. Crocker will give them a bit more mongrel if he signs for them, if he can stay outta trouble. If the Storm do win the premiership, then I have no doubts Orford by then would have proved he can play in the big games, and in turn be selected for rep sides.

One thing though, I don't see too many Storm fans worried about him leaving. Cooper Cronk does look the goods.

eelandia

Juniors
Orford's form hasn't been that great for the past 2 months....!!! His organisation skills have been below par and he doens't deserve an origin spot. Gower is not fluent in his play and Kimmorley has had two ordinary games in a row (3 if you include Origin 1).

No other choice but the most skillful player in the game.... Joey Johns...!!.

The Q Facor

Juniors
Bobby DIGital said:
Playing origin and tests are cool.....but winning NRL premierships is what it's all about. Ask Big Mal, ask Ricky Stuart, ask Laurie Daley, ask Brad Fittler,...ask anyone but Wally Lewis.

1986; Wally won a premiership with Wynumm-Manly. I think he may have won a couple with Valleys too.

Shifty

Juniors
woodgers said:
My thoughts exactly Broncodroid. Orford has outplayed all those halfbacks this year and still doesn't get a look in. Even if they all went down I reckon Sticky would go for 'wonderboy' because he had 1 game experience last year.

Some players are hard done by, Orford is one of them. You play your guts out for things like rep jumpers only to see less deserving players get picked.

I would prefer to be a rich retired footballer than a player who is not remembered for anything special thanks to selector bias.

Orford hasn't outplayed any half-back this season and rarely does when he comes up against rep quality halves.

It's his performance against quality opposition that sees him miss out on rep selection.

Beaches Boy

Juniors
Monas made him look 2nd rate at Brookvale ealier this year as hard as it is to believe. Souths would be like signing up for 5 years hard labour at Long Bay for the poor guy.

ibeme

First Grade
If you hold any credence in anything Danny Weidler has to say, then the Vic government might be coming to the party in order to keep Orford. That's what he said on the Footy Show last night anyway. But Danny says a lot of things.

Copa

Bench
Yeh..... what was Weidler on about?? THe Victorian Government getting involved?! That would be strange.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
The Q Facor said:
1986; Wally won a premiership with Wynumm-Manly. I think he may have won a couple with Valleys too.

It's not an NRL or ARL trophy. Big difference.

As for Danny, Danny's often full of sh!t!

Azkatro

First Grade
Paul Rauhihi's doing it next year. If I was a first grade player and had offers in England, f**k yeah I'd do it too. You get to travel overseas and spend a bit of time in Europe and make a bit of extra money setting up a nest egg. I think these days though it's far from easy to just fall into the trap of playing casual football - it's a strong competition these days.

Latest posts