What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tale of two press conferences

Fathead

Bench
1. If the players think that that was good enough, they are having themselves on - there will be changes next week.

2. I think we are close enough, getting closer

Who do you think said these ?

1. Wayne Bennett after his Broncos scored a good win over a desperate Cowboys in Townsville.

2. Michael Hagan.

Suitman

Post Whore
1. If the players think that that was good enough, they are having themselves on - there will be changes next week.

1. Wayne Bennett after his Broncos scored a good win over a desperate Cowboys in Townsville.

2. Michael Hagan.

Are you for real???

OMFG!!!

Suity

Fathead

Bench
Yeah just heard Gus say it in the wrap.
He was shaking his head too. Said that someone was living in a dream.

salvy71

Juniors
I guess that's why Bennett is successful and Hagan isn't .......I guess Andrew Johns must've been the coach of newcastle in 2001 .....

bartman

Immortal
Wow, Bennett sure is a hard task master, they were 26-0 up at half time.

But he generally gets results (final four finishes). We had it last year, but can't buy that type of form at any point this year.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Here is an excerpt of what Wayne had to say of the Broncos performance:

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/brisbane-hand-cowboys-11th-straight-loss-20080718-3hk8.html

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett was scathing of his side's performance despite the winning score line.

"No, we were rubbish," Bennett said.

"We looked good when we ran on, I'm not worrying about them (Cowboys) we are going pretty ordinary."

Bennett was particularly critical of his side's second half where it invited the home side back into the contest.

"It wasn't even a case of scoring more points, they were a lot more disciplined in the second half and just making sure we didn't invite them back into the game.

"If you are playing well everything looks after itself and we are not playing well."

"We could be leading the comp right now and still be not capable of beating anyone that's really going to matter when the time comes."

While Hagan said:

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/finals-equation-becomes-tougher-for-eels-20080718-3hm8.html

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan denied his side's finals chances had nosedived despite suffering a third straight NRL loss against an understrength Manly.

"I thought tonight was a very important game for our end of season chances, in terms of how we played and also in terms of hopefully coming up with an upset so you can still be in the hunt after this weekend," Hagan said after the loss.

"But we said (we needed to win) 5 from 8 last week (to make the finals) so it's 5 from 7 from now on in, so the maths and the equation hasn't changed to much.

"I don't think we're too far away from sorting it out ... But we know we've got seven pretty tough games to follow and we're going to have to win five of those to be thereabouts.

"Nothing's changed too much from that point of view.

Hagan admitted the Eels let an opportunity slip.

"I think certainly the game was there to be won if our goal line D and our execution was as good as it could have been but you can't be 70-80 per cent against Manly," Hagan said.

"You've got to be at your best and I thought without Orford and when Lyon went off we were a genuine hope."

If the Parramatta administration was smart they would cut Hagan ASAP to prevent the further decline of the club. He took a great Newcastle side that were constant top 4 contenders and took them Wooden Spoon quality within 3 years through his lack of coaching skills, player development and retention.

Good luck fellas, you'll need it.

Daneel

Bench

2. Michael Hagan.

Ahhh yes, i was going to post this myself. Wayne Bennett also stated there would be definite changes next week. We will probably lose to the cowboys next week and run the same team out the week after.

El Diablo

Post Whore
"I don't think we're too far away from sorting it out" - Michael Hagan

:crazy:

so when exactly will you sort it out? round 26?

Jono078

Referee
This is shocking. I feel half sorry for your mob (the other half doesnt care as you are still in our way of making the top 8 :p).

I'll be shocked if you don't have a new coach in 2009. I don't think it's worth bringing one in right now. Let the new coach make plans for the off-season and start fresh.

Daneel

Bench
"I don't think we're too far away from sorting it out" - Michael Hagan

:crazy:

so when exactly will you sort it out? round 26?

Absolutely, at the end of round 26 2009, when hagan coaches his last game ever in the nrl. Raise your glasses everyone, id like to make a toast. Here is to hoping it is a lot sooner.

fish eel

Immortal
I think we've had a lack of intensity and urgency since day 1. There's always been talk of getting better, plenty of time, and after a performance like that, when the coach says

But we said (we needed to win) 5 from 8 last week (to make the finals) so it's 5 from 7 from now on in, so the maths and the equation hasn't changed to much.

is it any wonder we lack intensity and urgency??

fish eel

Immortal
remember people....fitzy never sacked smith in 03 or 04.....he'kk only go if he falls on his sword IMO

salvy71

Juniors
Why did Qld sack him as coach ? It was the worst thing that they could have done ...........for us N.S.W. supporters .......:lol:

Daneel

Bench
I think we've had a lack of intensity and urgency since day 1. There's always been talk of getting better, plenty of time, and after a performance like that, when the coach says

is it any wonder we lack intensity and urgency??

Dont worry fish, it will be 5 from 6 after next week, and 5 from 5 the week after. After that 5 from 4. IF we pull it off from there ill personally fly down to Sydney and apologise to Hagan.

Latest posts