What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tallis out as Souths ring the changes for next year

Ziggy the God

First Grade
SOUTH SYDNEY forwards mentor Gorden Tallis will leave at the end of the season as incoming coach Michael Maguire embarks on a cleanout of the coaching staff.

Tallis has decided to part ways with the Rabbitohs so he can return to Brisbane to spend more time with his family. It will be one of many changes to the coaching roster, which will have a fresh look after the appointment of Wigan mentor Maguire for next season and beyond.

Assistant coach Kurt Wrigley is highly regarded by Maguire and will be retained. However, several other staffers are tipped to go. Strength and conditioning coach Grant Duthie, recruitment manager Mark Hughes and football manager Mark Ellison are among those with question marks hanging over their futures.

boo_boo

Juniors
If Maguire brings his preferred coaching staff & we are successfull under these changes then it will all be worth it.
If not then the owners have again made poor judgements & need to accept responsibility for their actions.
It's time to deliver on the field.

Noa

First Grade
Talent ID has been the the 2nd most important factor at the Storm after Bellamy, NZ and Queensland being particularly important. Without knowing what limitations Hughes has in his role you cant say from the outside he has done a terrific job. Id be interested to know make-up of your Sg Ball and U/20's sides regarding what areas theyre from.

As I posted once before if your relying on youre traditional areas to find talent youll never be up with the top clubs again, Maguire know this better then most.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think Maguire needs to be given full reign of the football department. If we trust him to be head coach then we trust him to surround himself with the right people. That's the only way we'll know if he's a success or a failure.

Maguire should get what Maguire wants.

And I have confidence that he will be a success. From what I've heard Maguire was the brains of the operation among Bellamy's assistants and that he deserves a lot of the credit for Melbourne's successes that went to Kearney instead. We got the right Bellamy student and that'll be proven next year.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Kearney' a great man-manager though, dont underestimate how important that is in coaching (and he is very good with the x's & o's).

Most of the great coaches in any sport were/are great at handling men first and foremost e.g. Alex Ferguson, Phil Jackson, Wayne Bennett

Theres plenty of tactical genius who didnt last long at the caper, however I think Madge has the right mix.

Sidestep

Juniors
Talent ID has been the the 2nd most important factor at the Storm after Bellamy, NZ and Queensland being particularly important. Without knowing what limitations Hughes has in his role you cant say from the outside he has done a terrific job. Id be interested to know make-up of your Sg Ball and U/20's sides regarding what areas theyre from.

As I posted once before if your relying on youre traditional areas to find talent youll never be up with the top clubs again, Maguire know this better then most.

Mark Hughes is good at his job. He found SBW and continues to find good regional and interstate talent, he often misses the best ones because he does not have the cheque book to compete. These are some country kids in the South Sydney system that I am aware of;

20's - Keiran Vale - Port Macquarie (Kempsey junior)
Liam Mecham - Kempsey (Smithtown junior)
Alex Hull - Nambucca Heads
Reece Jaegar - NYC Roosters via Gunnedah
18's Ryan Hall - Orara Valley junior (near Coffs Harbour)

Big Sam

First Grade
Hughes also found Isaac Luke for the Dogs and brought him along when he came to us I think. He's worth keeping just for that.

Richardson gone would be brilliant but I'm not sure Maguire has the right to request a new CEO. That'd be Russell and PHaC's job.

Interesting about Ellison going. We keep hearing that he's really popular with the players and has got a good tactical brain. Maybe the club's opinion of him has changed?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Hughes also found Isaac Luke for the Dogs and brought him along when he came to us I think. He's worth keeping just for that.

Richardson gone would be brilliant but I'm not sure Maguire has the right to request a new CEO. That'd be Russell and PHaC's job.

Interesting about Ellison going. We keep hearing that he's really popular with the players and has got a good tactical brain. Maybe the club's opinion of him has changed?
Spot on.

Noa

First Grade
Mark Hughes is good at his job. He found SBW and continues to find good regional and interstate talent, he often misses the best ones because he does not have the cheque book to compete. These are some country kids in the South Sydney system that I am aware of;

20's - Keiran Vale - Port Macquarie (Kempsey junior)
Liam Mecham - Kempsey (Smithtown junior)
Alex Hull - Nambucca Heads
Reece Jaegar - NYC Roosters via Gunnedah

18's Ryan Hall - Orara Valley junior (near Coffs Harbour)
Do you have a presence in NZ, league and union school comps. If you dont these days your not in the game.

t10do

Juniors
Now all we need is Tallis to get the flick by Fox Sports...

i think i will finally be able to watch the tv while he is on there next year, now knowing he is NOT part of the coaching set up! he used to (does) make my blood boil. someone like hughes should be a definite stayer, unless there are more undercover rumblings than us mere mortals know of.

Latest posts