What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tallis -

Saint 60

Juniors

Anonymous

Juniors
Regarding this bit :?:
It's about his love of rugby league, his loyalty to the Broncos whom he joined in 1996 after sitting out a full season on principle following his acrimonious split with then St George coach Brian Smith.
For a start, Brian Smith had departed some months earlier and it was well know that he was leaving weeks or months before that. By October 1995, Rod Reddy was officilally installed as the new coach.

It's true that Tallis wanted more on-field time (Smith was using him as an impact player) but that was all past history by 1996.

Tallis was offered a good deal to go to Brisbane but still had a year to run on his contract with Saints... which is where its gets really complicated.

During the period before Reddy left and after David Waite took over, Tallis was asked to come back... as were all the players who shot through. But Tallis was the only one who refused.

Against a background of Super League, back room deals, and plain stubborness, Tallis decided to play Union in Qld instead.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
From what I believe, when Phil Gould and the ARL boys sat down to try and sign up Tallis during the Super League wars, Bee-sting Head told him that he was never going to be an 80 minute player and that he'd always be a benchy. After that he went and signed with Super League.

Thanks for that Gus you clown! :evil:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Gorden "Man of my word" Tallis sits out a contract :roll:

Rot in hell. Geez, his return to Kogarah was good. We lost but the steady stream of objects going over the fence got our point across. Thanks security!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

Collateral

Coach
Gus did a similar thing to get Fitzgibbon to leave as well...that bloke is nothing but bad news for the Dragons.

Anonymous

Juniors
We certainly could have used him in the 1996 grand final.

IMO Tallis has his own priorities and its hard to be critical of any player for that. But there seems to be a revisionist approach (mainly amongst Broncos supporters) as to what actually happened.

The main myth is that Tallis 'stuck to his word' by not returning to Saints. This is completely blown out of the water by the fact that he broke a signed contract.

Saint 60

Juniors
i agree with that...he did sign the contract, and its unusual to find Saints not letting anybody out, ive seen them do it a few times... Chris Walsh to name one actually...Gavin Allen another ----

im startin to think the Mr Tallis is forgetting a lot of his own history :lol:

----------------------------------------

Chris Johns another as i remember :)

Anonymous

Juniors
Its not unusual for clubs to release players but it has to suit both parties.
In Tallis's case, it didnt suit St George so in my books, that means he should have honoured the agreement.
Instead, he played lower grade rugby union rather than first grade rugby league.
It's either a stubborn response or a better deal waiting for him at the other end. Take your choice... but imo, it wasn't done because his was 'sticking by his word'.

As already said, it was a very complicated set of circumstances and some have thrown Phil Gould's influence into the equation.

But Super League had it in for St George by offering contracts to the bulk of the Saints team as well as coach Reddy.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
I think that Super League knew that if they could get a club with the history of Saints to come over it would be a massive coup for them. When they couldn't get the club they decided to sign up all the players and hopefully force the club into a move accross.

I'm glad they stayed with the ARL even though our playing stocks got pillaged, I've said it before the club is bigger than the players.

Anonymous

Juniors
Dragons Cross said:
I think that Super League knew that if they could get a club with the history of Saints to come over it would be a massive coup for them. When they couldn't get the club they decided to sign up all the players and hopefully force the club into a move accross.

I'm glad they stayed with the ARL even though our playing stocks got pillaged, I've said it before the club is bigger than the players.
Personally, I don't believe Super League had a skerrick of altruism about them and once they were knocked back, they set out to destroy St George.

Southernsaint

Staff member
They wanted Saints to go to Stupor League but didn't promse them that they'd remain in Sydney. As all "franchises" were controlled by News Ltd, Melbourne or Adelaide Saints was a distinct possibility.

Bastards.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Latest posts