What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tana steps down...

Te Kaha

First Grade
Taken from Stuff
Umaga retires from international rugby

10 January 2006
null.gif

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]BREAKING NEWS

All Blacks captain Tana Umaga today announced he is retiring from international rugby and will not be available for the All Blacks, allowing the 74-Test veteran to spend more time with his family and to contribute to provincial and Hurricanes rugby.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, MS Sans Serif]The announcement caps a stellar international career which culminated in his leading the All Blacks to an unparalleled string of achievements in 2005 - victory in the DHL New Zealand Lions Series; the Philips Tri Nations title; retention of the Bledisloe Cup and New Zealand's second-ever Grand Slam.

Umaga made the announcement at a press conference in Wellington today, where he was joined and acknowledged by All Blacks coaches Graham Henry, Wayne Smith and Steve Hansen and by New Zealand Rugby Union Chairman Jock Hobbs and Chief Executive Chris Moller.

Umaga said he has valued every moment in the All Blacks environment and every opportunity to pull on an All Blacks jersey.

"It's been a tough decision but I think the time is right for me, for my family, and for the team. After the achievements last year and the development that is going on within the team, it is a good time to step down.

"I am looking forward to spending more time with my family and to putting something back into Wellington rugby and the Hurricanes, and to the wider community."

All Blacks coach Graham Henry said Umaga had made an enormous contribution to the All Blacks and to the game of rugby both on and off the field and his presence would be missed at the international level.

"Tana's legacy is immense - he has led the All Blacks with distinction and to great success, while making a major contribution to the development of All Blacks rugby and what it means to be an All Black.

"Personally, I am sad to see him retire given his performances in 2005 but he has taken the decision to spend more time with family and I applaud him for that. It is fitting that his record will be remembered along with the very best All Blacks captains'."

Smith, who has been involved with Umaga from his All Blacks debut in 1997, said he has been privileged to have worked with Tana during his time coaching with the All Blacks.

"The best thing about this game is the people in it and the relationships you develop with them. Seeing Tana develop as a person is one of the abiding memories I'll have from my All Blacks involvement. Tana has always cared about others and carried great responsibility for his own performance and that of the team. He has recently grown into an even greater leader, one who can share the responsibility with others whilst retaining an iron will and resolve to win," said Smith.

"I think Tana's decision to retire from international rugby reflects this growth in him as a person and family man. Watching Tana perform the haka and play in the black jersey leaves you in no doubt as to what it means to be an All Black. The All Blacks will miss his influence and he can be immensely proud of what he's leaving behind."

NZRU Chairman Jock Hobbs also paid tribute to Umaga's contribution as a player and as All Blacks captain.

"Tana has represented both the All Blacks and New Zealand rugby with dignity and with a strong sense of the team's responsibility to its fans and partners, and he has been an inspiration to many people both on and off the field, as demonstrated by his winning of the Pierre de Coubertin award for Fair Play and his commitment to and work in the community," said Hobbs.

"His work in areas away from the rugby field on behalf of the All Blacks, New Zealand's professional rugby players and on behalf of the NZRU, including his key role in presenting New Zealand's bid for Rugby World Cup 2011, is further testament to his commitment and professionalism."

Hobbs said that because of his long service and his great contribution to New Zealand rugby as a player and as All Blacks captain, and in consideration of his desire to spend more time with family, Umaga had been granted a special exemption to the requirement that NZRU-contracted players be available for selection for international duty.

Umaga (32) made his debut for the All Blacks against Fiji in 1997 and has appeared in 74 Test matches, 21 as captain, as well as five other matches for the All Blacks.

His last Test was against Scotland at Murrayfield on 26 November as the All Blacks sealed only the second Grand Slam by a New Zealand team in 100 years. He appeared in two Rugby World Cups, in 1999 and 2003, with a knee injury in the opening match ruling him out of the rest of the most recent tournament.

After earning his call-up to the All Blacks on the wing, Umaga switched to centre in 2000 and has also played at second five-eighths for the national team. He was regarded by many observers as the world's outstanding international centre in 2005.

Umaga first took over the All Blacks captaincy in 2004 when All Blacks coach Graham Henry named him as the team's captain, and Umaga led the All Blacks to victories over England twice, Argentina and the Pacific Islanders before retaining the Bledisloe Cup and then, following the Philips Tri Nations, he led the team on an unbeaten end-of-year tour to Europe.

Umaga, who is contracted to the NZRU until the end of 2007, said his focus will now be on contributing to the Hurricanes and Wellington Lions, while continuing to be involved in rugby projects and issues that interest him.

"Being appointed captain of the All Blacks was a huge honour. A lot of the work we have been doing is around preparing the All Blacks for the future and I feel privileged to have played a part in that," Umaga said.

[/font]

Always going to happen. Now its just wait and see in what capicity he is at the world cup in.. back as a player? acaptain or just a mentor?

When I first watched a Bedisloe game in 2001, I was first impressed by Jonah, but also by a big tackle made by Tana. Great runner too. Very classy player. He would've made a great NFL player if he'd grown up in the US.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
I was soo gutted about this.
Anyone that knows me...or talks to me...knows i love tana...and knows hes my alltime fav union player.
Im totally gutted i never got to meet him...and with this new npc...looks like i wont get ta.
Hes a legend on and off the field...so humble...such a great role model....
It wont seem like the all blacks with out him:(