What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taumalolo Chooses NZ

hutch

First Grade
State of Origin will ALWAYS be the pinnacle of RL, no matter what is done. There is too much history, and the players hold it with so much reverance. The quality of play is simply unmatched.

That being said, a very similar amount of reverance is still held for test matches.

Origin is not the pinnacle of the sport of rugby league. It may be the pinnacle for Australian players, and the hardest, toughest or highest quality game but it isn't the pinnacle of the entire sport!

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
State of Origin will ALWAYS be the pinnacle of RL, no matter what is done. There is too much history, and the players hold it with so much reverance. The quality of play is simply unmatched.

Are you sure about it being ALWAYS bud? Considering the benchmark team in the 20's for the last few seasons has been the Warriors 20's and none of them will take part in SOO in years to come, along with a whole host of other Kiwi youngsters in the 20s seems unlikely that SOO will remain the highest quality of football out. Who knows though by then the Warriors 20's team may be the official feeder team for QLD.

I reckon this years Origin 20's series will be sh*t as

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Very few kiwis wanted Fien in the team and we thought it was a joke as much as anyone.

Hoffman's father is a born and bred Kiwi, Beale is related to Zinzan Brooke (former All Black) so although you make a point about those two being born and bred Queenslanders, compared to Taumalolo who has nothing but Meninga in his ear it's a comparison that doesn't quite match up.

The disparity is that all players mentioned in your post were developed by QLD Rugby League. That surely should trump a father's or cousin's nationality when considering eligibility.

Big Pete

Referee
My god. I'll treat it with the respect it deserves from me, a NZer who has not interest in who wins the game as much as you would in a game between the South Island and the North Island, and yes I will 'degrade' it because for Internationals to become the pinnacle of the game then SOC has to be the tier down. It can be pretty easily fixed all of this anyway, allow whatever nationality to play SOC but also for their nation. That way there is no issues whatsoever, the only arguement against it is that they supposedly want only Australians playing SOC, which isn't even the case now as it is. Australia this year for example put 2 months into an the SOC series and then refuse to play any Test series at the end of the year, our players defect to play in it so it gets no respect from me whatsoever.

If anything it's agenda driven nonsense like yours that constantly hurts our game. If South Island and North Island meant as much to the game as Origin did you wouldn't find me bad mouthing it like some of you have, a move that doesn't do anybody any favours.

The International game is going to grow but there are far bigger priorities than player eligibilities.

And Origin had little to no effect on the Kangaroos schedule. Pretty big reach there.

Hutty1986

Immortal
A f**king sh*thouse game of Origin>any international clash.

SOO has been the biggest and most revered part of RL for a long time. Terrific rivalry, as opposed to the international scene 90% dominated by the Roos. (Cue Kiwis bringing up the world cup, etc)

Big Pete

Referee
Origin is not the pinnacle of the sport of rugby league. It may be the pinnacle for Australian players, and the hardest, toughest or highest quality game but it isn't the pinnacle of the entire sport!

Denial.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

doogiehowser_md said:
Are you sure about it being ALWAYS bud? Considering the benchmark team in the 20's for the last few seasons has been the Warriors 20's and none of them will take part in SOO in years to come, along with a whole host of other Kiwi youngsters in the 20s seems unlikely that SOO will remain the highest quality of football out. Who knows though by then the Warriors 20's team may be the official feeder team for QLD.

I reckon this years Origin 20's series will be sh*t as

Highest rating, highest quality, and most investment.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
The disparity is that all players mentioned in your post were developed by QLD Rugby League. That surely should trump a father's or cousin's nationality when considering eligibility.

So another words you're saying that the Kiwis should only be able to pick players developed by the Warriors?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
What is hillarious is that NZ fans seem to take issue with Mal "poaching" NZ born players for QLD, despite QRL making them the players they are today, but have absolutely no problem in the world with Australian born, bred and developed players taking NZ allegiance due to (sometimes obscure) relative nationality links.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I've been a big advocate of reviewing the eligibility rules and ensuring a decision is made by 16 and it's final. I hate how players like Heighington, Chase, Fien, Webb, Beale, Hoffman, Reed, Taumalolo, Kasiano, Te'o etc. are persuaded or change their minds to further their own careers.

I just don't see the point in insulting another competition. It just reeks of bitterness hence the Steve Austin esque promo.
I wasn't trying to run it down, I said that it could be an asset, but at the moment it's not, it is a blight on the game. And until that is remedied then I will continue to treat it with contempt, not to try and antagonise anyone, but because that's genuinely the way I feel about it.
The International game is going to grow but there are far bigger priorities than player eligibilities.
There are few that could be as easily fixed as the player eligibilites and have such an impact. And I'm not just talking about for Origin, I'm talking about the entire international game. The fact that this hasn't happened already is a disgrace.

hutch

First Grade

So origin means more to 7 million papua new Guineans than playing for the kumuls? Or the 30k rugby league players in France aim for the pinnacle of their sport, state of origin? Or the 80k Poms who pack into wembley every year wish they were at an orign match? Or Ellis, burgess, peacock, Morley, tomkins grew up wanting to play in the pinnacle of their sport, origin?

Rugby league is a lot bigger than nsw and qld!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Origin does way more good than bad for the game.
Yeah, but at the moment it's being unneccessarily implemented in a way that holds the game back. I don't want it to be scrapped or anything like that, I just want some people to re-assess their attitudes.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Its like saying you're content with eating apple seeds for the rest of your life, when you could grow a f*cken apple tree with those seeds!

Big Pete

Referee
So origin means more to 7 million papua new Guineans than playing for the kumuls? Or the 30k rugby league players in France aim for the pinnacle of their sport, state of origin? Or the 80k Poms who pack into wembley every year wish they were at an orign match? Or Ellis, burgess, peacock, Morley, tomkins grew up wanting to play in the pinnacle of their sport, origin?

Those same PNG are as passionate about Origin as they are about their own side.

Wembley maybe able to fit 80k but they're lucky to get half that for double header International. Which was seen last year. And Internationals draw as low as 5000 people in a major tournament...a far cry for the minimum 50K+ (sold out) crowd in Origin.

The East coast of Australia is the capital of Rugby League and no game stirs as much interest in the RL community as Origin.

And it's going to be this way until the other nations step their games up.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Simple then. De-link the eligibility for SOO from eligibility for international matches. Then players developed and invested in by the NSWRL and QRL can represent their respective teams, while the international rules can rely on where a player was born.

betcats

Referee

Origin is massive in PNG, it has caused riots and murders, i read a story about it.

Say what you want about french and pommy players but that doesnt change the fact that origin is higher quality footy, draws a bigger crowd and more viewers then international footy, how hard is it to understand?

Latest posts