What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Te Maire Martin

MrAnonymous

Bench
Yes we have blooded heaps. 3 or 4 teenagers last year alone plus a few more young guys this year. This myth we hold players back keeps getting round Panthers forums because in 2011 Gus said he thinks most kids need to play NSW cup before FG which all of these kids have. We will debut atleast 3 or 4 more next season aswell. Martin is chance after some nsw cup, Kikau will figure then we have our 20s which have been going very well including the best playing up in nsw cup. The whole plan is to bring these kids through and its been happening and will continue next year.

It's nothing to do with that at all. If Wallace and Soward stay fit he wont play.

betcats

Referee
It's nothing to do with that at all. If Wallace and Soward stay fit he wont play.

If he is doing well enough in NSW Cup he will, he will have to be playing well though they wont just hand it to him.

The only kid last year who debuted only because of injury was Moseley imo. Yeo, Dallin and Bryce were obviously going to get a run last year, injuries may of sped it up a bit but it would of happened anyway. Yeo debuted round 1 in the centres when we could of played Brown and used of our other many backrowers with FG experience to cover. Dallin was 18 and we had Kevin Naiqama playing reserve grade last year and Wes if we got desperate, so we could of held him out too. As I just said we had lots of backrowers last year so Bryce could of been kept back too if we had wanted. Moseley got a run cause our hookers got hurt but he was ready for it.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
So he'll play about 15 games next year then

Yeah its more than likely one of them misses some games next year considering our record so far. Even forgetting Penriths horrible injury run the last few years how many teams go through a whole season using only 2 halves?

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
With a name like that, he'll be hitting the bottle before he's hitting the headlines (unless he hits the headlines for hitting the bottle).

MarkC

Juniors
I don't think giving young guys a run in the NRL is any real yardstick of how well a club is run.
You have to look at how their careers progress after they get a taste of NRL.

IMO some young kids play too many NRL matches at a young age, or are thrown into the NRL before they are ready.

Injuries often force those decisions, but some does poor planning, recruitment and retention.

In the case of young forwards, they have to be physically ready for the NRL, being big helps.

In the case of young halves, there are similar issues, they can get knocked around or loose confidence if they are thrown into NRL too early.

The really good players handle it, but there are not many of those.

For most young halves they need 2-3 seasons to become a top performer in the NRL.

The Tigers have Moses and Brooks, who have already had a couple of years in the NRL, Martin will get more opportunity at Penrith, I recon Wallace only has 1-2 more seasons of NRL.

Danish

Referee
The only reason this guy is the best junior player you blokes have ever seen is because Jesey Flegg was not televised back when Jamie Soward was playing in that comp.

Soward scored 350 points in a season in 2004 and laid on countless tries for others. He made Sam Perrett look like an immortal that year.

He is now a good but not great 1st grader.

Reading too far into U20s form will only lead to regular disappointment and undue pressure on young kids trying to forge an NRL career

betcats

Referee
I don't think giving young guys a run in the NRL is any real yardstick of how well a club is run.
You have to look at how their careers progress after they get a taste of NRL.

IMO some young kids play too many NRL matches at a young age, or are thrown into the NRL before they are ready.

Injuries often force those decisions, but some does poor planning, recruitment and retention.

In the case of young forwards, they have to be physically ready for the NRL, being big helps.

In the case of young halves, there are similar issues, they can get knocked around or loose confidence if they are thrown into NRL too early.

The really good players handle it, but there are not many of those.

For most young halves they need 2-3 seasons to become a top performer in the NRL.

The Tigers have Moses and Brooks, who have already had a couple of years in the NRL, Martin will get more opportunity at Penrith, I recon Wallace only has 1-2 more seasons of NRL.

Im not saying its makes us a better or worse club then any others its just our plan going forward is to develop and promote as much as possible from within with a clear path from NYC to NSW Cup and then to FG when the opportunity presents itself, in fact the problem we have now is we have to lose some depth to keep everyone we want too, we have lost or are losing quite a lot of experienced Fgers this year whose depth positions will be taken up by guys who have played very little to no FG.

Id rather if all our kids were forced to play close to a season in NSW cup especially forwards, though some of them don't need it its still an adjustment period for them physically. None of them are getting to FG without playing NSW cup atm so that's good enough. Out of four teens I mentioned debuting last year all them went on to play regular FG this year.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Anthony Milford is the best junior I've ever seen coming through, i havent seen enough of Martin to compare the two

MarkC

Juniors
Im not saying its makes us a better or worse club then any others its just our plan going forward is to develop and promote as much as possible from within with a clear path from NYC to NSW Cup and then to FG when the opportunity presents itself, in fact the problem we have now is we have to lose some depth to keep everyone we want too, we have lost or are losing quite a lot of experienced Fgers this year whose depth positions will be taken up by guys who have played very little to no FG.

Id rather if all our kids were forced to play close to a season in NSW cup especially forwards, though some of them don't need it its still an adjustment period for them physically. None of them are getting to FG without playing NSW cup atm so that's good enough. Out of four teens I mentioned debuting last year all them went on to play regular FG this year.

Fair enough, my comments were not directed at any particular club.

I always think the best players are the ones clubs develop themselves so I am 100% in favor of promoting and developing local talent.

Penrith usually have a lot of talented local juniors, so it makes good sense.

There was an era where some young guys from NYC were being thrown straight into the NRL, luckily that is now changing. Again I don't think that was any particular club, more of a general trend.

Most young players probably need 1 season in NSW cup or QLD cup before playing NRL.

betcats

Referee
Fair enough, my comments were not directed at any particular club.

I always think the best players are the ones clubs develop themselves so I am 100% in favor of promoting and developing local talent.

Penrith usually have a lot of talented local juniors, so it makes good sense.

There was an era where some young guys from NYC were being thrown straight into the NRL, luckily that is now changing. Again I don't think that was any particular club, more of a general trend.

Most young players probably need 1 season in NSW cup or QLD cup before playing NRL.

IT happened at Penrith. Wade Graham, Coote, Masada Iosefa,..all where highly rated juniors from our initial NYC who were thrown straight from NYC to FG and suffered for it.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34324-cowboys-confirm-retirement-of-te-maire-martin/

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys playmaker Te Maire Martin has today announced his immediate retirement from rugby league.

Martin has been sidelined since suffering a bleed on the brain in April last year.

While the 24-year-old has made significant strides in his recovery, he has not improved to the point required to receive a clearance to return to full contact.

"The last nine months have been extremely difficult," Martin said.

"I'd like to reassure everyone that I'm doing well and I have recovered to the point where my day to day life isn't affected, but I can't get past the contact stage of training, which means I can't play footy anymore.

"I'd like to thank the Cowboys for their unwavering support - they could not have done any more for me, particularly the medical staff - as well as the club's members and fans for their well wishes."

Cowboys Director of Football Peter Parr spoke glowingly about Martin when farewelling the Kiwi international.

"We'd like to thank Te Maire for everything he's done for the club. He's been a wonderful contributor since he's been here, he played in a grand final and off the field has had a significant impact on everyone at the club," Parr said.

"It's always sad when someone of his age has to retire, but there's also positives in that he's made significant improvements in his health. We've been given every indication he'll be able to live a normal life and that is far more important than him playing football.

"We're sad to see Te Maire go given he's such a great bloke, but he'll always be welcome at our club and we'll never forget what he's done for us in his time here."