What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

Colk

First Grade
I'm just picking up on the chatter we're hearing - some here (people have their preferences & arguments for them - some very compelling), some of it statements from NRL (admittedly their attitude to expansion options changes often ), some of it what changes appear "in the wind" like the reports of replacing the early Friday evening game with a late Sunday one.

I might be adding 2 + 2 and getting 22, but speculation is the name of the game in this part of the forum!

As for your idea of a SW Brisbane team - quite possible, but I think the NRL may be keener if the ratio was flipped: 8 at Suncorp & 4 in the west.

I honestly thought when creating the thread that Adelaide might be a chance at that 20th spot, but after hearing Perth Red's summation of what's going on there, it sounds like the game is dying in the vine & the NRL is abdicating any duty of care for it.

So umm yeah.. looks like teams 18, 19 and 20 will likely be Perth, NZ 2 or Pacifica, then South/West Brisbane.

Unless the Broncos/Titans/Dolphins strongly persuade the NRL to avoid a 4th SE Qld team, and that spot goes to NZ 3, Central Qld, or *shudders* The Bears as a traveling show in any number of NSW Country locations (as per one of their more hairbrained recent brainfarts).

If Adelaide is dead and buried which I personally hope isn’t the case, I’d be more inclined to go NZ 3.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I honestly thought when creating the thread that Adelaide might be a chance at that 20th spot, but after hearing Perth Red's summation of what's going on there, it sounds like the game is dying in the vine & the NRL is abdicating any duty of care for it.

So umm yeah.. looks like teams 18, 19 and 20 will likely be Perth, NZ 2 or Pacifica, then South/West Brisbane.

Unless the Broncos/Titans/Dolphins strongly persuade the NRL to avoid a 4th SE Qld team, and that spot goes to NZ 3, Central Qld, or *shudders* The Bears as a traveling show in any number of NSW Country locations (as per one of their more hairbrained recent brainfarts).
Yeh Adelaide is really only a chance if a club relocates or Bears move there. They are so far behind Perth in every facete that it is stupid to even mention them in the same breath. Its possible a bid may come out of the woodwork with a shed of load of money behind it but unlikely. And TBh the disgraceful way the NRL has abdicated all responsivity for growing the game at grassroots there should tell us there mindset. I'd hate to think of the state of the game here if it wasn't for John Sackson and Peter Cumins! NRL leadership are clueless on how to invest and grow the sport and have been for a very long time.

Pippen94

First Grade
Not if it has earned them treble that! GWs costs them $10mil a year over avg grant amount. If GWS is part of why they have just landed $270mill a year more than us then money well invested dont you think?

It isn't. Extra game is

Perth Red

Post Whore
It isn't. Extra game is
True but you need two teams for an extra game. GWS ticked that box and ticked their national growth strategy box. The general consensus is metro reach is more valuable than regional reach, there's another box ticked. Sydney is a valuable market and they had one very succesful club there, another tick in the box.
So if not GWS what other club could they have brought in that ticked those boxes? Yes its costing them $25mill a year, but their revenue has sky rocketed since they were brought in. Not saying its due to them but its certainly more than covered their cost.

If you really wanted to make a splash in Perth, have a Storm level of success, and an NRL club as the third biggest club in WA then they should be looking to spend around $20mill a year (grant plus $5mill) in Perth. Long term that investment will more than pay itself back.

flippikat

Bench
If you really wanted to make a splash in Perth, have a Storm level of success, and an NRL club as the third biggest club in WA then they should be looking to spend around $20mill a year (grant plus $5mill) in Perth. Long term that investment will more than pay itself back.
Hmm.. a Storm level of success.. eh?

Soo.. we sacrifice a handful of teams to give Perth a flying start, then?

;)

Wb1234

Referee
What exactly is the mandate for the NRL commission and/or ARL?

If it's to foster, develop & grow the game throughout Australia (as it SHOULD be), there's a case that they're in dereliction of their duty, and should be replaced.

Seriously.
So you want them to be punished for fostering the game in New Zealand ?

Wb1234

Referee
Hundred millions spent on gws was better saved
Over the last ten years afl had 2 billion more than us in revenue

yet ten years down the track they have nothing to show for it with the lowest crowds in 25 years and the lowest rating grand final ever

the nrl has seen the afls failure and should be careful about putting dots on a map and hoping they can survive

Diesel

Referee
This thread is an example of how unbalanced the competition is. 1988 should’ve been NRL year 1, where the NSWRL/QRL merged into one 14 team competition.

out of Brisbane 3 & Adelaide it’s a tough one. Brisbane 3 if the Broncos & Dolphins are winning and drawing crowds, if not, Adelaide

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Perth and NZ2 should really be 18 and 19.

As far as team 20..

I think the Jets or Firehawks will work better and be more profitable and successful at the outset.

However, we need to be thinking bigger. Adelaide shouldn't be about instant success. It should be about planting a seed of a decades long plan. Which is what I think the AFL is doing with GWS by the way. It doesn't matter how successful or popular they are now. What's important is where they are at in 20 or 30 years.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Bears to Adelaide. We have 3 clubs in SEQ. There should be no need for another one.

Just on Adelaide and what massive neglect is going on there by the NRL, for the first time in years they were not able to field any teams at this years CAS championships. Does the NRL even know SA exists?
100% support a team in Adelaide but hell no to it being the Bears. It needs to be a new franchise with no ties to old clubs. An Adelaide NRL team would have more support than what the current GWS and Gold Coast teams in the AFL have.

Colk

First Grade
So you want them to be punished for fostering the game in New Zealand ?

When exactly have they done this? Other people have mentioned things like rule changes etc but the most egregious mistake behind the TV deal is what they have done to the Warriors.

What thanks do they get for moving away from home for a couple of years to keep the game afloat: less than half your games being played in NZ. That Abdo was saying all these buzzwords and corporate doublespeak about how they want to grow the game and that they appreciate the Warriors yet they come out with that?

Colk

First Grade
100% support a team in Adelaide but hell no to it being the Bears. It needs to be a new franchise with no ties to old clubs. An Adelaide NRL team would have more support than what the current GWS and Gold Coast teams in the AFL have.

Considering how parochial Adelaide are, that is not far fetched at all.

The Rams crowds were about fifth highest from memory and their side was very ordinary