What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2025

Knight Tales

Bench
I feel the club’s anxiety to get Kalyn a side he needs to excel beyond where we are currently at, has gone up several notches. No one will admit it publicly, but they all know the clock is ticking. He is in the cusp of greatness now. And there is an anger and drive in him we have not seen before. The apathy is gone. He wants titles. He wants SOO shields. He is about legacy now.

TooheysNew

Coach
I feel the club’s anxiety to get Kalyn a side he needs to excel beyond where we are currently at, has gone up several notches. No one will admit it publicly, but they all know the clock is ticking. He is in the cusp of greatness now. And there is an anger and drive in him we have not seen before. The apathy is gone. He wants titles. He wants SOO shields. He is about legacy now.
What's this based on?

Burwood

Bench
Evidence? The guy said that they’ll use Keary’s, Manu’s and JWH’s money to sign Ponga in 2028. It was laughable.

perverse

Referee
Honestly they were just speculating. It's not like they were discussing it as a scoop. The topic of conversation was whether Ponga will look to move on from the Knights if he doesn't feel close to a premiership by the end of this contract. The general consensus was that he probably would leave, and that the Roosters might be a likely destination.

I tend to agree with them, but it's 100% pure speculation and just thinking out loud - as it was on the podcast too.

mozza91

Coach
It probably won’t be the case in a few years time because they’ll buy the talent but in 2025 the Roosters are about the same chance of winning a comp as we are, basically f**k all.

Woody90

Juniors
Honestly they were just speculating. It's not like they were discussing it as a scoop. The topic of conversation was whether Ponga will look to move on from the Knights if he doesn't feel close to a premiership by the end of this contract. The general consensus was that he probably would leave, and that the Roosters might be a likely destination.

I tend to agree with them, but it's 100% pure speculation and just thinking out loud - as it was on the podcast too.

Honestly all it serves to do though is stress fans out without any basis, just to get hits through a “controversial take”. I like the Bloke podcast but honestly this is no better than Danny Wilder asking Ponga 2 weeks ago if he was going to the Roosters and he had the biggest WTF look on his face.

Knights fans know Ponga will look to leave if he can’t see a premiership here, the club also knows this…why is everyone in the media acting like this is something we need to suddenly be considering? All I’ve heard over the media for the past two days is how the knights need to sign a half to help him out, but not one has made a suggestion on who we should target. On 360 they actually acknowledged there weren’t really any options for us. We criticise the club a lot but ffs, they’ve brought in the best recruitment officer in the game and have tapped a large amount of the squad on the shoulder, despite receiving a lot of criticism, including a junior who was probably the only shining light of our spoon years and a previous captain. This is something they’re clearly not messing around or not caring about. All anyone in the media ever talks about is Ponga, but Saifiti and Brailey in particular have obviously been extremely cared about within the club for a long time, so making the decision in moving them on wouldn’t have been easy.

I feel like we can’t even enjoy having a once in a generation player at the club because even 3 years out from his contract ending, all people want us to do is focus on how well likely lose him soon. It’s bullshit. If the club weren’t clearing making moves to fix the roster it would be different, but on one hand they’re criticising us for not having a good squad around Ponga but in another breath criticising the club for moving others on to fix the roster. Deadset can’t win.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
I'd probably cancel my membership if we lost the Pong. Not that he's bigger than the club or anything, I'd still follow the team and watch every game, but I'm not paying money to watch a Ponga-less Knights "play" football. He's worth more to us than just his on-field abilities, he puts bums on seats and gets us exposure we would only dream of otherwise.

We will do everything we can to keep him here when his contract is up, but we will also have to be wary about not f**king our cap further. We already know what the key will be, to put a team around him that makes him feel like he can win a Premiership here. Let's hope we're heading in the right direction, it feels like it.

I wouldn't begrudge him leaving though. It'd be funny to see the 180 some fans of other teams would do if he became available. If he went to the Roosters of all clubs I might just quit the sport. f**k that, lol. I'd take up AFL before I watch him win a comp for them.

Latest posts