What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team eligibility

MattyCLark

Juniors
A player is eligible to play an International Match for:
(a) the country in which he was born;
(b) the country in which either of his parents or any of his grandparents was born;
(c) the country which has been his principal place of residence for a period of three years up to the date of his selection;
(d) the country for which he has gained Senior International honours in any sport.
A player who is eligible to play for more than one country shall be entitled to elect for which country he wishes to play.
When a player plays a Senior International Match for a country, he is deemed to have elected to play for that country. Once an election is made the player may not play Senior representative rugby league for any other country until the end of the next World Cup tournament, or the expiry of two years, whichever is earlier (‘Election Period’).

I was just reading around on the RLIF web site and realized that, my brother Casey and I are eligible to play for the English national team through heritage. Our Father was born in England. Now I’m not saying that we are that caliber of player. Well Casey is, but not me. I no longer get selected for the USA national team. And I can only assume that is the reason why. Like David Nui says “ Your only as good as your last game” and mine was vs Canada in the 2010 Atlantic Cup. My brother Casey on the other hand is playing for the Helensburgh Tigers. And last weekend got a run on with the 1st grade. Rumor has it that he surprised the locals with the skills that he has. I know that he’ll be a great player. Just think that its odd that we can play for England but not USA where we are born and I have played for in the past. Where our family lives and where me and my family have serviced in the military.
I just think that if America is going to take a run at the World Cup that it should be with player that play here. Not because their father, mother or grandparents were born here.
This mess with the AMNRL and USARL isn’t helping rugby league in America. I know that both sides think that their way is the best. But the people that see through the egos, see that the politics is ruining the game and turning players away. I know this because I talk to the players. I’m friend with players in both leagues and everyone is tired of this.
Its time for this to be settled and taken care of. I know that the RLIF and RLEF has bigger fish to worry about but with players like Casey growing up with rugby and playing over seas for as long as he has. 4yrs between NZ and AU. The USA national teams will be in the top 5 in the world. But this mess needs to be fixed..

Last edited:

Choo Choo

Juniors
Couldn't have said it better Matt. I've been very vocal here, but at the end of the day, all I want is ALL eligible players available for selection to put the best American side on the field to represent our country.

MattyCLark

Juniors
Just thought that FORUM were for speaking your mind. Thanks Danny. I've always respected your oppinion. Sorry for the typos and miss spelling's. I've had a few hits to the head..:lol:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Well done Matty for voicing your opinion and concerns!

Maybe it's time a petition of some sort from players, coaches, club staff and fans is started to appeal to the powers of both leagues to come together and progress the great game we have for the good of the game not for the good of some egos. It is also frustrating for me who wants to see the game progress internationally and when you see individuals who have their ego in front of the good of the game it is quite frustrating.

mother rucker

Juniors
Cheers Matty,

It does seem that RL in the USA/America is taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. If the 2 factions would embrace the split and use it as a rivalry to better the expansion of the sport in the USA, then is would be successful.
Americans love a rivalry.
AMNRL vs USARL in the Grand Final..
TV worthy

Evil Homer

Staff member
Well done Matty for voicing your opinion and concerns!

Maybe it's time a petition of some sort from players, coaches, club staff and fans is started to appeal to the powers of both leagues to come together and progress the great game we have for the good of the game not for the good of some egos. It is also frustrating for me who wants to see the game progress internationally and when you see individuals who have their ego in front of the good of the game it is quite frustrating.
A petition wouldn't do any good, the AMNRL know that what they are doing is wrong and is hurting the game, but they aren't going rectify it since that would mean them losing power. The only way I can see the two factions coming together would be if the USARL surrendered absolute power to the AMNRL and things went back to the way they were, which would be a massive backwards step IMO.

amnrlfan

Juniors
I'm curious how some of the current Tomahawks feel about the situations. Would like to see Apple Pope's (capt.) concerns, comments, etc on this matter

Fatwing15

Juniors
You are eligible for a team that represents the country your grandparents were born in, but not the one in which you were born. A person from Australia is deciding who is eligible for a team in the U.S. There are some things that could be reevaluated here.

Say both leagues were eligible, how difficult would it to be to hold a national tryout with the limited funds that Rugby League in the US possesses? Maybe is just easier to cut the player pool in half #-o

Anybody in the know hear of any talks going on between the two leagues?

deluded pom?

Coach
You are eligible for a team that represents the country your grandparents were born in, but not the one in which you were born. A person from Australia is deciding who is eligible for a team in the U.S. There are some things that could be reevaluated here.

Say both leagues were eligible, how difficult would it to be to hold a national tryout with the limited funds that Rugby League in the US possesses? Maybe is just easier to cut the player pool in half #-o

Anybody in the know hear of any talks going on between the two leagues?

They used to organise "trials" for the Tomahawks prior to the split but these trial days never actually happened and Niu just picked the usual suspects or any player he saw as useful to him i.e the Hawaiians a few years back who had never played a proper game of RL before.

gyallop

Juniors
RL follows the same "grandfather" rule of a lot of sports.

How would NZ go with no Australian born players , english cricket has long been the UN. USA should pick eligible over seas players , thats just common sense. A domestic side even if it included USARL players would struggle to beat an Aussie park team and no one with the best interests of the game at heart should want that.

Homer you have some big opinions so I presume being an intelligent person you wouldnt make unsupported allegations on issues so as a person based in UK how do have such a knowledge of what is going on in other countries?

Western_Eel

Juniors
Whats better?
USA based players getting smashed in the world cup?
Or overseas USA players doing well in the world cup?

In my opinion if the USA can get on the news and in papers because they have done well in the world cup thats the main thing,

By the way it happens in al rep footy and the worst one to do that would be the state of origin, how many NSW born players are playing for QLD?

Whats better?

In my opinion if the USA can get on the news and in papers because they have done well in the world cup thats the main thing,

By the way it happens in al rep footy and the worst one to do that would be the state of origin, how many NSW born players are playing for QLD?

Actually it would be quite the opposite, from a PR perspective and a player growth perspective.

Journalists will write about their hometown player going in to the world cup. Thats 25 different stories that will get picked up by other media. You cant pay for that type of exposure. Additionally all of their friends and family will gain interest. The companies that they work at will gain interest which could transfer to sponsorship dollars. -- Home Depot sponsors some of the most obscure sports because of their employee's involvement.

Case and Point - The Yankee's in 1996 Won the World Series and went on their Dominant run up until 2001 because of the fact that they grew their guys in the farm system and then made a few high profile signings.
After they lost the World Series to the DiamondBacks, Steinbrenner went on a rampage and bought every big name player from every team out there. He gave cash and all his prospect players in their farm system for that.
It destroyed their team. And for a team that expects to win a World Series every year it took them almost 10 years to do so.

Sport is about chemistry and talent. Talent alone cant win a championship.

The Boston Bruins, they were crap they had new people come in and they put all their money in their Minor League Hockey team. The Providence Bruins. Most players on the Boston Bruins came from Providence, Now they won a championship. Sure at first they got smashed, but look at the end result.

Thats how you build teams.

Also how are you going to draw guys out with them knowing that unless they open up an AMNRL Team they have no way of making the USA team.

More importantly your assuming that this Thomahawks team wont get smashed and even more importantly your assuming that a homegrown real usa team will get smashed. Silly assumptions.

mother rucker

Juniors
Whats better?

Having a team of American players would far well in the media. Having a USA team that isn't USA would put a sour taste in the mouths of the fans/public.
Americans want to know that they did well or not so well. Not foreginers on USA gear.

Also what does this do for the local leagues and players? They bust their ars in the USA comps but get looked over for the national team for overseas players. Why should they play Rugby League then? If they know that they can't move up in their career, why spend all those hours in the gym sessions and on the feild training?
For a half country National championship? The USARL and AMNRL want to help RL in this country they need 1 national cup and 1 national team. Other wise your pissing in the wind...
Its all about American pride. Sure go to the WC as a American team and get smashed. But do it as American players... Or player that atleast have played in the USA comp...Brent Shorten, Damion O'Maley, Luke Hume, Shanon Hagardy
Then you have players like Casey Clark that are playing overseas. I'm sure if he can make reserve grade for the Helensburgh Tigers that he can make the Tomahawks. They pick up Hawiians that have never played RL

Having a team of American players would far well in the media. Having a USA team that isn't USA would put a sour taste in the mouths of the fans/public.
Americans want to know that they did well or not so well. Not foreginers on USA gear.

Also what does this do for the local leagues and players? They bust their ars in the USA comps but get looked over for the national team for overseas players. Why should they play Rugby League then? If they know that they can't move up in their career, why spend all those hours in the gym sessions and on the feild training?
For a half country National championship? The USARL and AMNRL want to help RL in this country they need 1 national cup and 1 national team. Other wise your pissing in the wind...
Its all about American pride. Sure go to the WC as a American team and get smashed. But do it as American players... Or player that atleast have played in the USA comp...Brent Shorten, Damion O'Maley, Luke Hume, Shanon Hagardy
Then you have players like Casey Clark that are playing overseas. I'm sure if he can make reserve grade for the Helensburgh Tigers that he can make the Tomahawks. They pick up Hawiians that have never played RL

you forgot college football players who never played as well!!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Homer you have some big opinions so I presume being an intelligent person you wouldnt make unsupported allegations on issues so as a person based in UK how do have such a knowledge of what is going on in other countries?
Because I follow what's going on, it's not really difficult in the modern age? When people say that my opinion isn't as valid because I don't have any links to the USA, it really bugs me. I don't have any links to North Korea but I know that the regime there is oppressive, I don't have any links to many corrupt African countries but I know that what is going on there is wrong. If you or anyone else has any issues with anything I post, then go ahead and prove me wrong using facts that are related to the topic at hand. So far, nobody has done this. And the reason is that what I'm posting is not wrong, because there's no way the AMNRL can justify their behaviour other than by admitting that they want to cling onto power unfairly and are willing to damage the game in order to do so. Why else would they exclude players from the national team? Nobody from the AMNRL has any answers to anything I post. They are a corrupt organization and they know it.

gyallop

Juniors
Homer , I am not saying this is you but that is the justification for many an ill informed opinion that is served up and it is easy to claim not to be proven wrong if any real contrary facts are rejected. Bloggers etc have no real objective test of their strong subjective view as most times there is no real world effect to measure that view.The one dimensional google world isn't necessarily the real world but often simply a reflectional of loud biased or ill informed views, bit like the US town square where at traveller asked the general store owner was his clock right , yep check it against the fire station as I come to work, goes to fire station asks same question , yep check it against town hall every morning , goes to town hall and asks same question, yep check the general store clock each morning when I buy the paper.
I just wanted to properly understand your view so I could measure its relevance in forming my own view on matters I know little about. No need to reply and I wont raise again , back to the real debate.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Homer , I am not saying this is you but that is the justification for many an ill informed opinion that is served up and it is easy to claim not to be proven wrong if any real contrary facts are rejected. Bloggers etc have no real objective test of their strong subjective view as most times there is no real world effect to measure that view.The one dimensional google world isn't necessarily the real world but often simply a reflectional of loud biased or ill informed views, bit like the US town square where at traveller asked the general store owner was his clock right , yep check it against the fire station as I come to work, goes to fire station asks same question , yep check it against town hall every morning , goes to town hall and asks same question, yep check the general store clock each morning when I buy the paper.
I just wanted to properly understand your view so I could measure its relevance in forming my own view on matters I know little about. No need to reply and I wont raise again , back to the real debate.
No, you're implying that there is some sort of potential for misinterpretation in anything I say. There isn't. USARL players are being excluded from the USA national team by AMNRL administrators. That is a cold, hard fact for which there is no explanation other than the ones I have posted. The AMNRL admit as much in this article: http://www.amnrl.com/news/dawn-new-day

With regards to the rest of my points, 6 of the leading American clubs were willing to take the drastic step of breaking away from the AMNRL administration, citing a lack of democracy, transparency and poor leadership in that organization - all of which the AMNRL have displayed distinctly since the split occurred. We then saw attempts by the AMNRL to blackmail the USARL players, repeated personal attacks by AMNRL administrators on USARL and RLIF officials and leaked correspondances on here which ridiculed USARL expansion attempts. Whether you're based in the UK, Kuala Lumpur or Aston, PA, there is no possible way of denying or misinterpreting this information. If you or anyone else have any legitimate issues with anything I have posted then as I say, feel free to air them. But do not try and insinuate that any of the facts that I have posted, or anything else that I have said on this subject is in some way less relevant or ill-informed due to my location, because there are 200+ guys in the USA being discriminated against who will share the same views as me; one of them started this thread.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Whats better?

I think the middle ground is the best result. Pick the best homegrown talent but also only pick a handful of overseas players who really want to play for the US and not just because it's a chance to play in the WC (ie: the likes of Clint Newton). It gives hope to the US players that that can play for their country but also have a few players that will make the team competitve.

deluded pom?

Coach
How about only picking overseas players who have made some committment to RL in America by at least having played there domestically i.e. Hume, Shorten etc..

gyallop

Juniors
The player makes his commitment when he makes his election. Why handicap yourself compared to other nations ? I know some lads here that play with passion and pride for NZ UK Lebanon Italy but never played or lived there...a lot of people are proud of and embrace their heritage. Isnt the correct view if a player is eligible under the rules and deserves selection pick him otherwise arent you doing what everyone is complaining about and being discriminatory?