What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Newcastle

Cagey Mac

Bench
Hot off the website!

The St George Bank Dragons will this week welcome back NSW representative Beau Scott and Kiwi International Jeremy Smith to the side when they take on the Knights this Saturday night at Energy Australia Stadium.

Both Scott and Smith missed last Sunday’s match with Coach Wayne Bennett choosing to rest the pair with the aim to have the pair fresh and at peak fitness for the upcoming finals series.

“We both could have played if our season was on the line,” Scott said. “We would’ve both liked to play but it will be better for the pair of us to return this week refreshed and ready to work towards the finals series.”

With the representative players back in the side that forces Nick Emmett back on to an extended 6-man interchange bench and Ricky Thorby out of the squad for the match against the 11th placed Knights.

Unavailable Dragons are: Peni Tagive (ACL - indefinite), Dan Hunt (Achilles – 2011)

NRL v Knights
Energy Australia Stadium
Saturday, August 28

1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby (c)
8. Neville Costigan
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weyman
11. Beau Scott
12. Ben Creagh
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Nathan Fien
15. Trent Meriin
16. Matt Prior
17. Jarrod Saffy
18. Nick Emmett
21. Luke Priddis

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.a...&title=scott-&-smith-return-for-knights-clash

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I thought Emmett had a good game last week. Wouldn't mind him staying on and letting Prior have a breather.

STG 002

First Grade
you're spot on. what's with prior, he seems so lazy in every play the ball. is he injured? i'm not sure about him yet.

to_ddeath

Coach
Chuck Prior & Pridds, all sweet.
That teams as close to 100% strength as we can get right now.

T.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
you're spot on. what's with prior, he seems so lazy in every play the ball. is he injured? i'm not sure about him yet.

He's tired, not lazy. He's made a transition to the front row which isn't a position he played as a junior.

Just needs some breathing space and he'll come good. His versatility and side to side movement is what we want moving forward.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
As STGI we've played the Knights at Newcastle 11 times, with 9 wins 2 losses. The last time we lost at EAS was round 14 2003. Take from that what you will.

Saints by 14.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Strong team. Should win. End of story.

I do agree with the sentiments on prior. I think he's a passenger at the moment. Really out of form. He looks as though he is lost. He doesn't know his role. I would go with Emmett. Just as strong in defence, offers more in attack.

Prior doesn't look confident.

SilverSteeler

Juniors
Having Scott and Smith back is a big bonus, we were defintely missing their strong D against the Raiders. Not liking Costigan in the front row but he is probablt the best stop gap there.

Mr Red

First Grade
a real test this week - perhaps our biggest of the season. will be interesting to see how we handle another team with nothing to lose, who like canberra have the potential to score a lot of points when it all clicks...
still not sold on our ability to put teams away that come at us with all guns blazing that are playing desperate nothing to lose football..
i really hope they prove me wrong this weekend :)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Having Scott and Smith back is a big bonus, we were defintely missing their strong D against the Raiders. Not liking Costigan in the front row but he is probablt the best stop gap there.

I agreed originally, as I thought Costigan was simply not the right fit but he's been doing quite well.

He's a bit like Pig, in that he's a footballer, not an athlete and if coached right will always come up with the right goods.

I think that if Prior got a week or so off, then coming back with a front row rotation of Weyman, Prior starting, Merrin, Saffy off the bench would be pretty good.

SilverSteeler

Juniors
I agreed originally, as I thought Costigan was simply not the right fit but he's been doing quite well.

He's a bit like Pig, in that he's a footballer, not an athlete and if coached right will always come up with the right goods.

I think that if Prior got a week or so off, then coming back with a front row rotation of Weyman, Prior starting, Merrin, Saffy off the bench would be pretty good.

Yeah Costigan is one of those guys that will give a good shot at what is needed from him e.g Prior, just doesnt make the impact up the guts. Agreed about the front row rotation, Saffy I think has been great in the last month off the bench, pity he's going back to Union.