What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for next week IMO

Panthers888

Juniors
My team for next week

1. Wesser
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Daniela
5. Rooney
6. Lewis
7. Wallace
8. Moors
9. Gower
10. F Puletua
11. Pritchard
12. T Puletua
13. Aiton

14. Clinton
15. Priddis
16. Grant
17. Bell

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I'd rather keep Priddis on the field at hooker, Gower at half, Wallace at 5/8 and Lewis at Centre

Munky

Coach
IMO Gower should be moved to second receiver and swapped with Wallace due to CIty/Country duty.

I want to see Wallace as primary kicker and playmaker. Gower will actually have room to move the 2nd rowers around if Wallace gets his passing right.

Plus Wallace can actually put the ball into the ingoal and get regular repeat sets.

BTW - Where has Wesser been in attack this season? He just wants to stand in the firs line rather than back up the ball carrier.

smitty

Juniors
with Gowie n City Country he may get a boost back to some form, and if he doesnt get back in form at least there is an excuse to rest him

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree 100% with Gower being at hooker. Our halves are being delivered very poor opportunities, and Gower has been lacking in his kicking game and organising game.

With him at hooker, we can bring in Firman when healthy, and give us 3 kicking options, rather then 2 and only using the one. Ontop of Gower being able to give these guys room that Priddis has failed to do. He has done a bit of dummy half work and looked great this year.

I would play Priddis at lock though. He is great in defence, and has a good running game. But i have a feeling he thinks lowly of the junior/new players and won't voluntarily play to these guys. He also doesn't try as hard as Gower. Gower gives 100% no matter what. He is out of form, but not for lack of effort.

Gower has been out of form for 2 or 3 years now. In saying that we cant drop him as we have no replacement for him. He is still better then the premier league halves what ever way you look at it, in form or not!
There wont be wholesale changes this week, and as with Daniella playing this week, youngquest was 18th man for gower last week so i doubt whether they will chose him over youngquest this week.

Dave Q

Coach
Gower has not been out of form for 2 or 3 years, just on sporadic occasions therein.

He needs a decent forward effort. When he doesnt get it, his effectiveness is reduced.

Anyone who gives away possesion cheaply should be fined.

Incomplete sets should realise extra 10km training runs for the whole side.

3 unforced mistakes in a match = premier league next week.

PEPPSY

Juniors
There is no way Priddis will be on the bench and Aiton at lock.
The only changes I can see happening are if Lewis is out, Maybe someone like Youngquest will be called up, not Daniela but would like to see that.

I think its more correct to say hes been IN form on sporadic occasions.
Whilst it certainly helps having a dominant foward pack as a half back, the great half backs can continually perform regardless of whether their foward pack is going foward.
Look at Andrew Johns the past couple years, Newcastles foward pack has been weak to say the least, yet Johns was still taking control of games and winning them on the back of his kicking game.
As we have realised this year, our kicking game is vital to winning games, yet this is where Gower and the panthers have been most poor in the recent years. Darren Lockyer and the broncos are prime examples, last year they led the count for most defensive tackles in the opposition 30 as well as leading the count for most yardage off kicks. Coincidence? I think not. Lockyer turned the opposition around in their own 30 off the back of his kicking game, giving his forward pack the chance to get set and dominate the opposing teams as they tried to make it off their own goal line. They won the comp! pantehrs have the capabilities in the forward pack to do the same yet they are continually let down by gowers kicking game.

Dave Q

Coach
griffo346 said:
i agree with dave
no professional footballers should be making as many mistakes as we do

My friends at the Panther game were just about lost for words about the performance.

"Woeful" was the most optimistic description and the prognosis for the season appears grim.

We saw them nail the fearsome doggies to the cross almost effortlessly, a splendid and honourable win v Bronco's so where the fug are they now?

Is Elliot the solution or the problem? Despite the best of intent maybe he isnt suited to the Panthers. One of those inexplicable mismatches. They arent responding to him. They are not even listening. Whoose Elliot?

Look at Joey Williams revelling in dominant forwards. A 200% improvement in his game.

Panthagrey

Juniors
I think the biggest problem the panthers have is that Matt Elliot is caving in to the team and taking to much on himself instead of the other way around and the players need to start thinking hey its us dropping the ball and giving away silly penalties.
I've been watching some games this year and at the start noticed we used decoys and tried some new plays alas they didnt always work and i put it down to new coach different tactics yada yada yada and now in the last 3 games we have gone back to one off runs inside passes and its just not fooling any defence but ourselves when we cant hang on to the pill and i think to myself where has that flair gone and why do other teams use decoy runners up to 2 or 3 at a time and where are our set plays like other teams use.
I think Matt needs to bring in the plays HE wants and make them train the way HE wants and i think the team will be better for it ,i said somewhere else that the team needs to find themselves and quickly and remember why they play and the pride they should have wearing the mighty panthers colours...:D

Dave Q

Coach
Everyone's gutted by these recent performances.

The players arent responding to Elliot, total communication breakdown.

The axe must be weilded freely. No one is sacred.

Start again Matty and if the pathetic displays continue with no sign of a let-up,
either mass forward sackings or Elliot to be shown the door.

The Panthers cant afford to hang onto Elliot at all costs, a timetable needs to be laid down
key performance indicators adopted and all stakeholders need to have input.

If Elliot and the team meet targets, well and good, but if not, an exit strategy needs to be embraced.

Let the club be open and transparent about this and that will help everyone cope with whatever fortune brings.

The club needs some social insurance if Matty cant get the team going, afterall they went to great lengths to get him.

mxlegend99

Referee
Elliott is not the problem. Our team has been pathetic for the last 2 and a bit years, except for the odd great game.

Our players seem to be happy with getting paid for losing. IMO, we drop anyone not performing, and threaten to release them, or not re-sign them if they don't pick up their act.

We have plenty of juniors who will take a first grade chance and give it their best effort. Whether we win or not, it doesn't matter if we play our best.

Dave Q

Coach
You wonder how the side would be travelling if the club had kept players they had released (or were unable to keep) since 2003 and had released the players kept.

A pretty good side of rejects: Turner, Pommeroy, Stapo, Rossy, Swain, Big Joe, Franze, Crossman, Campbell...there must be more.

And then had snared Lyon and Wing instead of losing them in negotiations at the last minute.

Theoretically, you could have got Jeremy Smith for a half early last year to (try to) compensate for Gower, a Walker lad maybe (they are always on the market!).

Inject Jennings, Wallace and Daniella and who knows?

Still the underlying idea behind Elliot is to stop this brain-drain from occurring (and attract the leagues brightest) I suppose.

I wonder how that collateral ambition to winning games is going. I havent heard of a mass walk out or anything like that.

Now back to Elliot and the forensics of getting the team to perform.

His challenge is to get the players ready to compete for every match. Thats his job.

He has know how to motivate each one of them and lift them to their best.

If his current techniques are failing, he needs to find new ones, or people to help him.

Brisbane have scientific staff to lift their players mentally, Souths now have access to shrinks too.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dave Q said:
You wonder how the side would be travelling if the club had kept players they had released (or were unable to keep) since 2003 and had released the players kept.

A pretty good side of rejects: Turner, Pommeroy, Stapo, Rossy, Swain, Big Joe, Franze, Crossman, Campbell...there must be more.
hmmmm:
1. Rhys Wesser
2. Steve Turner/Luke Lewis
3. Michael Gordon/Michael Jennings
4. Paul Whatuira/Ben Pomeroy
5. Luke Rooney/Amos Roberts
6. Brett Firman/Preston Campbell
7. Craig Gower
8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Ben Ross
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Tony Puletua
13. Trent Waterhouse

14. Frank Puletua/Craig Stapleton
15. Joe Galuvao/Junior Moors
16. Garrett Crossman/Shane Rodney
17. Paul Aiton/Craig Wing

Damn, we would have a pretty awesome looking side with a LOT of depth. It's scary that we could have had that team today with that sort of depth if it weren't for salary cap or poor running of the club.

Panthers888

Juniors
Peter Wallace needs to take more control. In every match this year he has perofrmed better than Gower.

As for not risking rookies, we'll see what happened. Last year we brought 3 in, Michael Gordon and Paul Aiton. Gordon is now seriously in top pointscoring contention while Aiton made the most tackles this week. Now, Michael Jennings this year has consistently been superb. Tim Garnt and Geoff Daniela will only follow this trend. Its rookies like the aforementioned that keep people like Youngquest and Norrie in premier league.

Dave Q

Coach
mxlegend99 said:
hmmmm:
1. Rhys Wesser
2. Steve Turner/Luke Lewis
3. Michael Gordon/Michael Jennings
4. Paul Whatuira/Ben Pomeroy
5. Luke Rooney/Amos Roberts
6. Brett Firman/Preston Campbell
7. Craig Gower
8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Ben Ross
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Tony Puletua
13. Trent Waterhouse

14. Frank Puletua/Craig Stapleton
15. Joe Galuvao/Junior Moors
16. Garrett Crossman/Shane Rodney
17. Paul Aiton/Craig Wing

Damn, we would have a pretty awesome looking side with a LOT of depth. It's scary that we could have had that team today with that sort of depth if it weren't for salary cap or poor running of the club.

Good side but I wanted to take existing Panthers out of the equation for the exercise.

Anyway, heres my team for next week:

1. LIAM GEORGETOWN
2. MICHAEL GORDON
3. MICHEAL JENNINGS
4. GEOF DANIELLA
5. NICK YOUNGQUEST

6 PETER WALLACE
7. CRAIG GOWER

8.CRAIG TRINDALL (c)
9. MATTHEW CROSS
10. PAUL AITON
11.MATTHEW BELL
12. TIM GRANT
13. BRYAN NORRIE

14. JUNIOR MOORS
15. LIAM CAMPBELL
16. Grade a kid from Erskine Park High.
17. BOB BLAIR

These are my new Panthers.

They may not win the game, but by fug, they'll try'll their hearts out.

The blokes Ive punted can think about their games on the sideline (not even PL).

Give Trindall the captaincy, see how he goes, couldnt lose anything.

Oh I almost forgot, I'll take some pressure off Elliot and give Georgallis a turn at coaching first grade.

Thats it Panthers!, we can start a new fashion called "coach resting".

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

mxlegend99

Referee
Uhhh, Trindall and Aiton as Front Rowers? Bit small wouldn't you think?

I'd rather see:
1. Rhys Wesser (he has been good)
2. Matthew Forwood
3. Michael Gordon
4. Michael Jennings
5. Geoff Daniella
6. Brett Firman
7. Craig Trindall
8. Tim Grant
9. Craig Gower
10. Joel Clinton
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Luke Rooney (he couldn't run softer then Big T, he basically is a forward)
13. Paul Aiton

14. Junior Moors
15. Frank Puletua
16. Nathan Smith
17. Keither Peters

That is a team with everyone who has failed to perform being dropped, or in the case of Gower, given a lighter role which he would shine in. And honestly, i would like to watch that team play, or something similar to it. I think that win or lose, they would show more spirit then the team that played on the weekend, as you mentioned.

Latest posts