What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Round 1 vs Dragons

hardbaby

Coach
Oh I agree with most of your comments. I think it will be a storming game. I think the Knights have a strong team and will win the comp within 3 years. But they will take time to bond and they will not roll the Dragons in the forwards in the opening round.

rnb11

Juniors
I'd rather Cuthbertson get a start than Latimore, Knights easily have the better forward pack in every position. Also have the better backline. Better bench too. On paper Newcastle no doubt have the edge but its early days for the team and it should be a good close game.

Spot On

Coach
5 Origin forwards v 2 and you wouldn't trade any. Umm, yeah. No worries mate. FYI Cuthbertson only just made the Dragons 17 last year and he is a starting prop for the Knights. McKinnon couldn't make the team at all but he is in your 17. Buderus ain't exactly a spring chicken.

Who played origin last season out of those numbers?

perverse

Referee
a lot of early arrogence surrounding our completely untested team. i think the dragons look very sharp, but more than that, they've got a lot more experience together as a unit than we do. i don't know about us having the edge, even on paper.

Yosh

Coach
Bennett is known for strong starts.

Our team is alot stronger than it was last year.

I think we have reason to be optermistic.

hardbaby

Coach
You mean the NSW side who has been rolled in the forwards for the past 6 years? Not a ringing enforcement mate

OMG are you actually comparing the Knights pack to the Maroons pack. I might have missed it but I don't remember seeing Civoneceva, Thaiday, Taylor, Shillington, Scott or Smith in your lineup.

League_God

Juniors
Will Scott and Tahu will be marking one another? Should be a great battle, both very aggressive players.

I don't have any unreasonable expectations from the knights, but would obviously be stoked with a win. I think we are lucky that we are up against quality opposition in the opening round unlike last year. This way we won't put 50 on them and get carried away with our own hype which like last year led to a few premature ejaculations. This match will be a great (though not an absolute) indication of what Bennett has managed to do with the group over the off season.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
NRL on FOX tomorrow night are having a look at what Wayne Bennett's done with the Knights for those that are interested.

hardbaby

Coach
I think the Knights (unlike the Broncos) are similar to the Dragons and Bennett will introduce a similar plan. The Knights will have a good year. But it's years 2 & 3 that will really rock. Bennett will make all of your players better individually and he will execute solid (but not brilliant game plans). He will also grab some new players next year and then your results will improve dramatically. Good time to be a Knights supporter.

timka4

Bench
I think we will win by 20+ still. Nothing in their backline looks threatening besides Cooper, Morris. Kyle was pretty average in the trials, from what I saw.
We have the confidence behind us, packed out home stadium, new coach and new players. We might be rusty but we will still win.

Rolla

Juniors
This will be tight.

If you go through player by player we have the better team. But this isn't necessarily the most important thing. The Dragons will turn up with a strong side and play well, they should still be a well oiled machine. It will come down to whether we can click and have everyone firing out of the blocks, or whether it will take weeks to adapt to new team mates, new culture and new tactics.

Dragons will deliver. If we do to we will beat them, but if we can't fire straight away we won't.

Saintsified

Bench
We have 12 out of the 17 players on show from the grand final winning team of 2010, 9 rep players in the starting 13....the question mark isnt hanging over the players or team they are more than capable, the question mark is hanging is why are people writing them off? Its simple people believe without wayne saints are nothing so that pressure and question mark hangs clearly on steve price and noone else.

Noone has any idea if price will cut it or make it as a coach but my money is on him to succeed and the red V will merely pick up where they left off in round 11 last year.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
OMG are you actually comparing the Knights pack to the Maroons pack. I might have missed it but I don't remember seeing Civoneceva, Thaiday, Taylor, Shillington, Scott or Smith in your lineup.

That's definitely not the way I read it. Maybe your love for the Dragons has given you blinkers.. I thought all JW was saying is that no player that has been in the NSW forward pack deserves credit based on how they performed for NSW (Gallen I assume being the only exception).

Spot On

Coach
Merrin, Creagh, Scott, Young. Weyman missed through injury. They are current players...

Weyman missed because he can't keep up at origin level. He's good for 6 minute stints. Young - never again. Creagh ... well he has proven what he brings to origin - zero. I'll pay Beau Scott - like him as a player. Merrin - yet to be seen how good he is. I was underwhelmed with the Drags pack because it isn't as strong as previous seasons. There's not much between them on paper.

Byron Knight

Juniors
We have 12 out of the 17 players on show from the grand final winning team of 2010, 9 rep players in the starting 13....the question mark isnt hanging over the players or team they are more than capable, the question mark is hanging is why are people writing them off? Its simple people believe without wayne saints are nothing so that pressure and question mark hangs clearly on steve price and noone else.

Noone has any idea if price will cut it or make it as a coach but my money is on him to succeed and the red V will merely pick up where they left off in round 11 last year.

That's a bit of a stretch though? You still had a lot of rep players in your side from round 11 onwards, even taking origin and injuries into the equation. Surely that's being too selective/blinkered to just right off over half the season? You can't just say we'll pick up from the good bits and forget the fade out!! Anyway.....

Should be a tight one though. Hopefully the weather doesn't get in the way too much. Big home crowd to get us over the line.

Last edited:

Latest posts