What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Round 1

Byrne is certainly hard done by given how well he played last year. I personally think he's better at center than on the wing so I'd have him in place of either Ropati or Toopi.

Scott

Bench
Just looking at the storm team, Toopi and Ropati are going to need to aim up in defence against King and Inglis.

Should be a good game though. Hopefully Kidwell can blow his stack with the ref and get sent off or binned :)

NZ Warrior

First Grade
The Storm's forward pack isn't exactly striking fear into my heart. Talk about a bunch of nuff-nuffs. I haven't seen a bigger bunch of nuff-nuffs since I looked at our centre combo.

Cameron Smith is the only shining light in there, but he is going to be too busy raking up 50 innocuous tackles.

But we are still no chance in hell of beating the Storm, unless Jerome Ropati decides on a better career path.

speedy1

Juniors
Can't say I'm overly impressed by our backline lineup with players out of position but they should hold their own against the storm. We always get cut up by tricky little halfbacks and i don't think the've got one.

Comparing the forward packs I'm feeling relatively confident about the weekend.

NZ Warrior, whats all that crap aimed at Ropo, whats he done to deserve that:D

mattyj

Juniors
dazza said:
i had hope, until i read the team list.

ffs, martin is a centre, byrne is a winger, ropati is a stand off, sione is NOT!!!
awen should be with villa in the development team, along with lauaki, & micheal luck should be starting. george tuakura should feel hard done by as well. how the f**k is he gonna know if he is up to nrl footy if he doesn`t get a shot!! he was 1 of the best in the canberra trial.

dazza

Im happy with Ivan giving Lauaki a decent shot, he played 5 games last year and averaged 16min during those games, usualy at the back end of the game when we had already sewn up the loss, i'd like to see come on on the back end of the first half with a Feka type of role.

I know Big George can play that role too but all things being equal i'd rather him give the 23yr old a shot over the late 20's-30 something player.

Not too fussed with Tuimavave, every time ive seen him he looks a bit unfit and soft around the middle IMO.

dazza

Staff member
mattyj said:
Im happy with Ivan giving Lauaki a decent shot, he played 5 games last year and averaged 16min during those games, usualy at the back end of the game when we had already sewn up the loss, i'd like to see come on on the back end of the first half with a Feka type of role.

I know Big George can play that role too but all things being equal i'd rather him give the 23yr old a shot over the late 20's-30 something player.

Not too fussed with Tuimavave, every time ive seen him he looks a bit unfit and soft around the middle IMO.

fair call mattyj.

it`s just, lauaki doesn`t fill me with confidence whenever he is on. as it has been said in the past, his lateral movement on d is non-existent.

i guess we`ll have to wait & see.

cheers dazza

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
mattyj said:

Apparently he's shaped up a lot this year, hopefully that's true and he'sa bit trimmer.

Re the Martin/Byrne argument, I think it comes down to two things:
1: trial form. Martin has appprently been in good form and earned his spot.
2: Goalkicking. Martin is a proven kicker. Hohaia and Faumuina were 2nd/3rd string kickers to Jones, who was himself only handy, not brilliant. Unless we start playing like the 2002 side and scoring tries all over the place, we need a good kicker. Remember last year if 3 or 4 more kicks had been opn target we'dve made the finals.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Scott said:
Get over it! He is a talented player who will only get better and better.

Mate, I'm still waiting for him to show a glimpse of this talent I keep hearing endlessly about. Until then, he will continue to be the biggest nuff nuff to pull on the Warriors jersey since Shane Endacott.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Is it really necessary to have 2 "Round 1 Team" threads???

Get your game on, Admins. While I get my hate on for that jerk, Ropati.

NZ Warrior said:
Is it really necessary to have 2 "Round 1 Team" threads???

Get your game on, Admins. While I get my hate on for that jerk, Ropati.
1 was what you think the round 1 team is going to be the other is discussion on the team named

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think some of you are going a bit over the top about Byrne. Be reasonable. He exceeded expectations last year but he is a pretty ordinary player. If Tony Martin is actually playing anywhere near full form and fitness then he is a better player than Byrne. Sure, Byrne has done a lot more than Martin for the Warriors, but it should be recalled that not so long ago Martin was an Origin prospect and Byrne was a reserve grader.

mattyj

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:
Apparently he's shaped up a lot this year, hopefully that's true and he'sa bit trimmer.

Re the Martin/Byrne argument, I think it comes down to two things:
1: trial form. Martin has appprently been in good form and earned his spot.
2: Goalkicking. Martin is a proven kicker. Hohaia and Faumuina were 2nd/3rd string kickers to Jones, who was himself only handy, not brilliant. Unless we start playing like the 2002 side and scoring tries all over the place, we need a good kicker. Remember last year if 3 or 4 more kicks had been opn target we'dve made the finals.

For those concerned about Martins speed. I think i remember (maybe?) Iafeta posting a while back (when Martin first came the Warriors he played in the pre season 7`s tourny) and if i remember correctly he was very very impressed with his speed.

Maybe injury free he will suprise a few of us on the Wing.

I think he will go ok, what i remember of him from 2004 is that he was a very vocal player and i think thats important because he will have a lot of shouting to do to the centre inside him on D thats for sure.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
douglasallen91 said:
1 was what you think the round 1 team is going to be the other is discussion on the team named

Yeah, but then it goes on to discuss the actual team. I just think that because I'm contributing mostly to this thread, we should stick to this thread.

In future, any threads predicting the team line up should be titled:

"The Team I would pick if I was Cleary, but I'm not. So anything I say here isn't going to make any difference. It's not like Cleary comes into these forums to see who he should pick anyway."

Iafeta

Referee
mattyj said:
For those concerned about Martins speed. I think i remember (maybe?) Iafeta posting a while back (when Martin first came the Warriors he played in the pre season 7`s tourny) and if i remember correctly he was very very impressed with his speed.

Maybe injury free he will suprise a few of us on the Wing.

I think he will go ok, what i remember of him from 2004 is that he was a very vocal player and i think thats important because he will have a lot of shouting to do to the centre inside him on D thats for sure.

Correct.

He was head and shoulders above his team-mates who included Webb, Toopi, Meli from memory.

Still, he needs to apply himself a bit better than what he has previously for the Warriors in the all important 13 a side game.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Since the Jerome Ropati Hater's Society is a charitable organisation. I 'll give $10 to the person who can get a banner reading "Ropati sux" or "Cronk is gonna get CRUNKED" on to TV at the game on Sunday.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Give Martin a break. You don't see me hating on anyone. Especially anyone who has been on the sidelines since R2 last year. That's pretty low, fellas. Keep it above the belt.

Tony Martin is gonna be in for a big one this year. He is going to force his way back into the centres and keep whoever is in the #3 at the moment out of the team permanently.

Latest posts