What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Round 1

Scott

Bench
Utility Grant Rovelli's first-grade breakthrough and the comeback of former grand final winner Tony Martin are the features of the Warriors' side for Sunday's season-opener against Melbourne.
Head coach Ivan Cleary announced his side at the Warriors' season-launching Captain's Lunch at Ericsson Stadium on Tuesday, making special mention of the Queensland pair.
"It's a great reward for Grant and Tony for entirely different reasons," said Cleary ahead of his first-grade coaching debut.
"Grant could easily have played NRL football sooner when he was with the Roosters. He really deserves this chance after what he has done throughout the off-season and in our three trials.
"And Tony has done an outstanding job working his way back to reclaim a first-grade spot after his neck surgery last year."
Rovelli (22) spent three seasons playing premier league football, leading the Roosters to grand final success in 2004 and again playing in the title decider last year.
Able to play hooker, halfback or standoff, he'll start the Storm match on the bench where he's set to be used to rest starting hooker Lance Hohaia.
Martin (27), who was in Melbourne's title-winning side in 1999, is on the right wing against Storm in what will be his first NRL outing since injuring his neck in the round two encounter with Brisbane last March.
After surgery in June and a lengthy rehabilitation, Martin began his playing return at fullback in the Warriors' first two 2006 trials against Canberra and North Queensland. In the final trial against the Bulldogs, he came off the bench to fill the right winger's berth, scoring a try and kicking four goals from four attempts - two from acute angles - in the 24-20 win at Carrara Stadium.
As expected Nathan Fien will make his first start for the Warriors at halfback after alternating between hooker and standoff in 22 matches last year. Fien's former North Queensland team-mate Micheal Luck will make his first appearance for his new club.
"While our form could have been better in the trials, we came through them well on the injury front, allowing us to go with our strongest possible line-up," said Cleary.
That also sees Sione Faumuina teamed with Fien in the halves and a highly-experienced starting forward pack that averages 143 first-grade matches per man.
Included on the bench are young forwards Epalahame Lauaki and Evarn Tuimavave, who were barely used in 2005, Lauaki only five times and Tuimavave just twice.
"They've both worked hard and have earned selection," said Cleary.
In the corresponding match at Ericsson last year, the Warriors beat the Storm 24-16 before losing 10-22 in the return match in Melbourne.
The match kicks off at Ericsson Stadium at 2pm on Sunday.
Warriors: 1. Brent Webb, 2. Tony Martin, 3. Jerome Ropati, 4. Clinton Toopi, 5. Manu Vatuvei, 6. Sione Faumuina, 7. Nathan Fien, 8. Ruben Wiki, 9. Lance Hohaia, 10. Steve Price (capt), 11. Awen Guttenbiel, 12. Wairangi Koopu, 13. Louis Anderson. Bench: 14. Grant Rovelli, 17. Micheal Luck, 20. Epalahame Lauaki, 24. Evarn Tuimavave. 18th man Todd Byrne.

ozbash

Referee
Warriors: 1. Brent Webb, 2. Tony Martin, 3. Jerome Ropati, 4. Clinton Toopi, 5. Manu Vatuvei, 6. Sione Faumuina, 7. Nathan Fien, 8. Ruben Wiki, 9. Lance Hohaia, 10. Steve Price (capt), 11. Awen Guttenbiel, 12. Wairangi Koopu, 13. Louis Anderson. Bench: 14. Grant Rovelli, 17. Micheal Luck, 20. Epalahame Lauaki, 24. Evarn Tuimavave. 18th man Todd Byrne

first impressions,, pretty bloody weak.
that bench looks ratchit, martin is a center, byrne should be on the wing,, ropo at 6,, sione at 13,,, louie on the bench covering for hohia, in case hohaia has to cover fpor fein,,

ivan has effectivly selected 3 half backs with ravioli on the bench.
i,d nhave put cooper vuna on instead.

WARRIORS BY 12 :thumb

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Swap around Martin and Ropati. Then swap around Ropati and Byrne. Then tell Ropati that he is fired for getting us into this whole salary cap mess.

Then make him a package deal with Villasanti, where you get Ropati for free.

Then I'll be happy.

Skinner

Coach
Looks like same old same old to me - Byrne looks like he's shafted. Vuna
is hard done by.

Happy to see Rovelli and Luck there though.

NZ Wocker - get a life.

Cheers

les amber

Juniors
"Skinny" Byrne was your best back last year, maybe he & Cleary didnt get along at Roosters & now Cleary is getting one up on him early.. or the fact Martin kicks goals has got him a jersey...

Can anyone tell me why the big maori props always wear ridiculously high jumper numbers when they come off teh bench !!:?

Iafeta

Referee
Can't believe Byrne's not in the team.

Les Amber, I'd hasten a guess we've had more polynesian props than Maori ones.

mattyj

Juniors
Hard working looking forward pack but no real line breaker or off loader IMO, even coming off the bench.

Guess they will have to hope the backs can come through and create scoring opportunities this year.

dazza

Staff member
i had hope, until i read the team list.

ffs, martin is a centre, byrne is a winger, ropati is a stand off, sione is NOT!!!
awen should be with villa in the development team, along with lauaki, & micheal luck should be starting. george tuakura should feel hard done by as well. how the f**k is he gonna know if he is up to nrl footy if he doesn`t get a shot!! he was 1 of the best in the canberra trial.

and whats up with the jersey numbering? maybe that`s why they were over the salary cap. they can`t f****n count!!! 14,17,20,24?!?! ivan, it goes 14,15,16,17.

dazza

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
les amber said:
Can anyone tell me why the big maori props always wear ridiculously high jumper numbers when they come off teh bench !!:?
Because the high-numbered jerseys are the XXXL ones?

Iafeta

Referee
dazza said:
i had hope, until i read the team list.

ffs, martin is a centre, byrne is a winger, ropati is a stand off, sione is NOT!!!
awen should be with villa in the development team, along with lauaki, & micheal luck should be starting. george tuakura should feel hard done by as well. how the f**k is he gonna know if he is up to nrl footy if he doesn`t get a shot!! he was 1 of the best in the canberra trial.

and whats up with the jersey numbering? maybe that`s why they were over the salary cap. they can`t f****n count!!! 14,17,20,24?!?! ivan, it goes 14,15,16,17.

dazza

I thought the same thing :lol:

MONY

Juniors
wtf is the go with that team particularly the bench...... not being a dickhead but storm by 30

Byrne is certainly hard done by given how well he played last year. I personally think he's better at center than on the wing so I'd have him in place of either Ropati or Toopi.

Latest posts