What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday - round 2

st.phil

Bench
i thought lafai played well - probs did not deserve a start from last years form but he went out there and put in a good shift...can't boot him now

The Doc

Juniors
As expected... most coaches just copy and paste this early in the week.
The only change i can see Mary "maybe" making is Mann for Field.
If he changes Lafai for Milne, and we lose, he would never hear the end of it.
Its protocol that if the teams winning, you dont drop players unless injury strikes.
Id love to see Milne in for Lafai and Mann in for Mcrone.
But realistically it wont happen.
This is one time i wont attack mary.
I wanted to see Luc or Mose on the bench also for Host, but watching the NSW cup they both seem to need a bit more time there.
Kerr wouldnt be out of place on the bench with the pigs we got though.
But with the exception of maybe Mann for Field, i wouldnt expect any changes if the teams winning.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Luciano, Taane and Sele were named for the NSW Cup team. So judging by that, Field will be the bench utility again and Mann will be 18th man for the second week running.
Whilst I like this team, I can't agree with sitting Mann out for two weeks, he will lose his match fitness sitting on the sidelines.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As expected... most coaches just copy and paste this early in the week.
The only change i can see Mary "maybe" making is Mann for Field.
If he changes Lafai for Milne, and we lose, he would never hear the end of it.
Its protocol that if the teams winning, you dont drop players unless injury strikes.
Id love to see Milne in for Lafai and Mann in for Mcrone.
But realistically it wont happen.
This is one time i wont attack mary.
I wanted to see Luc or Mose on the bench also for Host, but watching the NSW cup they both seem to need a bit more time there.
Kerr wouldnt be out of place on the bench with the pigs we got though.
But with the exception of maybe Mann for Field, i wouldnt expect any changes if the teams winning.

Doc
Luciano has been named in number 21 Marketo playing bench for illawarra.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Team: Round 2 v Parramatta Eels
Tue 7th March, 04:01PM
A A

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad for the Dragons' Round 2 clash against the Parramatta Eels at WIN Stadium, Wollongong this Sunday, March 12.

The only change to last weekend's initial 21-man squad is that back-rower Luciano Leilua replaces Jake Marketo in the Dragons' named reserves.

Following the Dragons' big 42-10 win over the Penrith Panthers last weekend, hat-trick hero Joel Thompson has urged his teammates to stay focused ahead of the Eels clash.

"We have plenty of belief here," Thompson said.

"Everyone was writing us off everywhere we looked. We need to put in performances like that week-in, week-out as well as build on last week."

NRL Squad for Round 1 v Penrith Panthers:

1. Josh Dugan

2. Nene Macdonald

3. Euan Aitken

4. Tim Lafai

5. Jason Nightingale

6. Gareth Widdop (c)

7. Josh McCrone

8. Russell Packer

9. Cameron McInnes

10. Paul Vaughan

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Joel Thompson

13. Jack de Belin

Interchange:

14. Tariq Sims

15. Leeson Ah Mau

16. Jacob Host

17. Jai Field

18. Kurt Mann

19. Taane Milne

20. Luciano Leilua

21. Hame Sele

Players unavailable:

Will Matthews (hip) – indefinite

Kiti Glymin (shoulder) – indefinite

Drew Hutchison (knee) – season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/07/nrl_team_round_2_v_p.html

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Sele, Leilua and Milne all named i rhe Illawarra squad as well so you can probably guess they will be the first to drop out.
Interestingly, Havili is back for the Illawarra team and Payne will play half pushing Robson and Garrick baxk to the U20's. Herbert shifts to the wing.

Dragsters

First Grade
NRL Team: Round 2 v Parramatta Eels
Tue 7th March, 04:01PM
A A

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad for the Dragons' Round 2 clash against the Parramatta Eels at WIN Stadium, Wollongong this Sunday, March 12.

The only change to last weekend's initial 21-man squad is that back-rower Luciano Leilua replaces Jake Marketo in the Dragons' named reserves.

Following the Dragons' big 42-10 win over the Penrith Panthers last weekend, hat-trick hero Joel Thompson has urged his teammates to stay focused ahead of the Eels clash.

"We have plenty of belief here," Thompson said.

"Everyone was writing us off everywhere we looked. We need to put in performances like that week-in, week-out as well as build on last week."

NRL Squad for Round 1 v Penrith Panthers:

1. Josh Dugan

2. Nene Macdonald

3. Euan Aitken

4. Tim Lafai

5. Jason Nightingale

6. Gareth Widdop (c)

7. Josh McCrone

8. Russell Packer

9. Cameron McInnes

10. Paul Vaughan

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Joel Thompson

13. Jack de Belin

Interchange:

14. Tariq Sims

15. Leeson Ah Mau

16. Jacob Host

17. Jai Field

18. Kurt Mann

19. Taane Milne

20. Luciano Leilua

21. Hame Sele

Players unavailable:

Will Matthews (hip) – indefinite

Kiti Glymin (shoulder) – indefinite

Drew Hutchison (knee) – season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/07/nrl_team_round_2_v_p.html

As expected really but would still love to see Milne get a run and Mann on the bench, he definitely needs some game time somewhere and Field would benefit with some time in the halves with Payne for Illawarra.

Vinnie

Juniors
So why is Mann not playing at all again by the looks of it ? Why not just run him in Illawarra team

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I guess we could all tweak the team at any given time but keep in mind the teams, ( regardless of whether they are league, football or union or aerial ping ping ) that use the less players over a given season are normally in the running to win the competition and go on to win.

As far as player movement goes, hope we stay consistent as ever, even if it goes against my own player selection.

Last edited:

Rocket Rod

Juniors
The U20s looks very strong with both Garrick and Robson added
They should be in for another good year.
A bit stiff last year, Luciano went walkabout when he should have excelled in the Roosters prelim loss after coming back from 1sts

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Personally I would have made 1 other change to the 21.....and yeah some (or all) of you are going to think I've lost the plot.....but here me out.
I would have bought Nona into the 21 man squad, say in place of Leilua. Sele and Milne to drop out on Friday (or is it Sat?...anyway). I would then play Field in the Illawarra game where he would partner up with his u20 half and get a full game. Bring Mann into the 17 as the utility and would give more options if McCrone doesn't fire this week. That leaves Nona as the 18th man.
Works out well for everyone IMO.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If Field and Mann are our back up halves, they really both need to be getting some game time up in the Cutters. Mann hasn't played a full game of league since last season and Field is in the same boat. If either Widdop or McCrone get injured, both back ups will not be match ready. Arguably, it will also be better experience for both of them instead of warming the bench for 70 minutes or not playing at all.

possm

Coach
Even though the Dragons won handsomely last Saturday, I am still working on the principal that 2018 is a year to groom some youngsters, settle on our best centre combination, test Dufty's and Field's suitability for first grade and blood some young forwards in first grade.

Depending on our negotiations with Dugan and Widdop and if our success continues in a way that we indeed look likely to feature in the top 8, then maybe my idea of 2017 being a year to prepare for 2018 will change.

Regarding Mann's selection as 18th man again, I can only assume he has said something to Mary regarding 2018.
Mary hasn't changed, he will pick the same side week in week out until he is on the end of a few losses. The competition is so tight that by then it will be too late.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Even though the Dragons won handsomely last Saturday, I am still working on the principal that 2018 is a year to groom some youngsters, settle on our best centre combination, test Dufty's and Field's suitability for first grade and blood some young forwards in first grade.

Depending on our negotiations with Dugan and Widdop and if our success continues in a way that we indeed look likely to feature in the top 8, then maybe my idea of 2017 being a year to prepare for 2018 will change..

I think the next 'cab off the rank' should be Pat Herbert if we're talking about juniors. He would do ok as a wing replacement and has nice skills and I think has a big future.
Interesting to see how he goes on the wing this week for the Illawarra after playing 5/8 last week.

Latest posts