What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team of The Year Thus Far

Iafeta

Referee
mmmmm, 23rd on the season's offload list, maybe not?

If you watched the Warriors games you'd know the man speaketh the truth. Gavet plays very limited minutes, and has played less games than all but 3 of the ones above him.

If you were to go off an average for those top 23 of offloads per minute, he would average 9.54 per 80 minutes of game time. That's miles ahead of anyone else.

He's a very good prospect, very natural runner glides across the ground and seems to palm blokes off with ease. The question for him is going to be whether he can increase his minutes per game and still have the same impact.

Lox

Juniors
If you watched the Warriors games you'd know the man speaketh the truth. Gavet plays very limited minutes, and has played less games than all but 3 of the ones above him.

If you were to go off an average for those top 23 of offloads per minute, he would average 9.54 per 80 minutes of game time. That's miles ahead of anyone else.

He's a very good prospect, very natural runner glides across the ground and seems to palm blokes off with ease. The question for him is going to be whether he can increase his minutes per game and still have the same impact.

isaiah just watch him and then you will know what i mean instead of just looking at nrl stats, and remember he is a bench player!!!!
even iafeta knows...

D

Deleted member 10972

Current top scoring outside backs (not including fullbacks) in the NYC:

Kane Morgan (Souths) - 19 games, 22 tries, 16 linebreaks

Joe Vickery (Dragons) - 18 games, 18 tries, 13 linebreaks

Taiaolo Vaivai (Souths) - 18 games, 18 tries, 24 linebreaks

Blake Davey (Manly) - 15 games, 17 tries, 13 linebreaks

Matt Duffie (Storm) - 17 games, 16 tries, 10 linebreaks

Michael Fualalo (Panthers) - 18 games, 14 tries, 15 linebreaks

Drury Low (Raiders) - 18 games, 13 tries, 17 linebreaks

Daniel Vidot (Raiders) - 14 games, 12 tries, 15 linebreaks

Bill Tupou (Warriors) - 15 games, 12 tries, 11 linebreaks

Domenic Nasso (Eels) - 19 games, 12 tries, 7 linebreaks

Steven Eliot (Cowboys) - 19 games, 12 tries, 5 linebreaks

Josh Jerome (Storm) - 16 games, 11 tries, 15 linebreaks

Dylan Farrell (Souths) - 17 games, 11 tries, 13 linebreaks

Kalifi Fai Fai Loa (Dragons) - 18 games, 11 tries, 13 linebreaks

Kane Linnett (Dragons) - 19 games, 11 tries, 14 linebreaks

Dane Gagai (Broncos) - 16 games, 11 tries, 10 linebreaks

Sam Joe (Storm) - 16 games, 10 tries, 11 linebreaks

Thomas Ah Van (Warriors) - 12 games, 10 tries, 10 linebreaks

Michael Oldfield (Manly) - 12 games, 10 tries, 7 linebreaks

Round 21 Progressive Team of the Year

01. Malcolm Webster (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
02. Joe Vickory (St-George Illawarra Dragons)
03. Taioalo Vai Vai (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
04. Siuatonga Likikili (New Zealand Warriors)
05. Kane Morgan (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
06. Robert Lui (Wests Tigers)
07. Shaun Johnson (New Zealand Warriors)
08. Trent Merrin (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
09. Kayne Lawton (Gold Coast Titans)
10. Martin Taupau (Canterbury Bulldogs)
11. Jason Schirnack (Wests Tigers)
12. Darcy Lussick (Manly Sea-Eagles)
13. Jamie Buhrer (Manly Sea-Eagles)

14. Beau Henry (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
15. Siosasa Va Ve (Gold Coast Titans)
16. Joel Romelo (Penrith Panthers)
17. Pakisonasi Afu (Canterbury Bulldogs)

Top 10 Honourable Mentions (In no order):
G.Widdop (Storm), S.Dwyer (Tigers), L.Kelly (Storm), T.Arona (Panthers), D.Vidot (Raiders), D.Cherry-Evans (Sea-Eagles), J.Bromwich (Storm), J.Marketo (Dragons), D.Penese (Panthers), B.Fruean (Knights).

Was hard, alot of good players missed out!!!.

D

Deleted member 10972

My top team:

1. Gareth Widdop (Storm) - I would have picked Webster, but his failed stint at halfback cost him
2. Kane Morgan (Souths)
3. Taiaolo Vaivai (Souths)
4. Blake Davey (Manly)
5. Matt Duffie (Storm)
6. Robert Lui (Tigers)
7. Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
8. Siosaia Vave (Titans)
9. Kayne Lawton (Titans)
10. Trent Merrin (Dragons)
11. Jake Marketo (Dragons)
12. Darcy Lussick (Manly)
13. Jamie Buhrer (Manly)

14. Mitch Rein (Dragons)
15. Jason Schirnack (Tigers)
16. Jesse Bromwich (Storm)
17. Tinirau Arona (Panthers)

Outside backs that are unlucky: Joe Vickery, Michael Fualalo, Josh Jerome, Dane Gagai, Kalifi Fai Fai Loa, Drury Low, Daniel Vidot, Kane Linnett, Suiatona Likiliki, Sam Joe, Malcolm Webster, Jake Mullany

Halves that are unlucky: Beau Henry, Luke Kelly, Daly Cherry-Evans

Forwards that are unlucky: Pakisonasi Afu, Daniel Penese, Jason Baiteri, Dane Hogan, Simon Dwyer, Matt Hyland, Fred Makimare, Andrew Fifita, Jared Warea-Hargreaves, Martin Taupau, Isaac Maliota

Hookers that are unlucky: Kurt Baptise, Luke Clydesdale, Lancen Joudo, Liam Higgins, James Segeyaro

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Martin Tapau is the only Bulldogs that should go within cooee of the team of the year.. Whoever says Afu clearly has never EVER seen him play, and I'm one of his biggest fans.

D

Deleted member 10972

I saw Afu play, and he is one of the biggest dangers 5 metres out, but he has issues with fitness and mobility. Taupau seems to be remarkably mobile for his size, and can break the line too. Strong forward.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Exactly right Mack.

Afu is a huge threat. He is so big and strong, it always takes 4 or 5 guys to get him down. But in the past 2 seasons his fitness has stayed the same and he can only manage 25 minutes a match. His defensive work rate is horrible whilst his attack is amazing to watch at times. But he has so much improvement to do.

Tapau on the other hand is huge, mobile, can offload, averages something like 28 tackles a match and always makes well over 100 meters. Such a great player and should push for first grade as soon as next year.

D

Deleted member 10972

Likilikie has a high workrate in attack though as well, he is one of the few regular centres who average over 100m in attack, busts tackles at a tremendous rate, and he is pretty mobile laterally, even if his defensive technique is questionable.

Afu is a straight-ahead battering ram.

Iafeta

Referee
Vave was completely owned today by the Warriors pack. That performance from the Warriors pack is probably the most dominant I have seen at NYC level. Amazed there is no love for Alehana Mara. Brilliant hooker.

D

Deleted member 10972

The outstanding Titans frontrow of Vave, Lawton and Spring, who have been three of the more dominant players in the NYC this year, struggled due to little to no possession.

Mara is a very good player IMO, but before today he only made 2 linebreaks, 2 tries, and 7 try assists. This isn't bad at all, but Baptise (Broncos), Clydesdale (Panthers), Rein (Dragons), Segeyaro (Cowboys), Higgins (Manly) and Lawton (Titans) have been just as good, if not better.

It is just a shame for Mara that the hooking position is one of the stronger positions in the NYC - most teams have at least one very good hooker.

Iafeta

Referee
They struggled because they kept dropping it. The reason for that though was because they were getting absolutely smashed. Set after set after set after set they were struggling to go forward, and the calls of DOMINANT were resounding. Second time in two games between the Warriors-Titans that the Titans pack has been completely and utterly owned.

Alehana also had a fantastic season last year. Aside from being nippy out of dummy half he makes a remarkable number of try saving tackles and comes up with good clearing passes and kicks. Top player.

D

Deleted member 10972

Haha I know, I watched the game.

Sione Lausi might not have the best stats, mainly because his workrate is relatively low, but he hits very hard, and has a bit of ball skills as well. Leeson Ah Mau was just a class above, he is going to be a great signing for the Cowboys, unlike those garbage, hopeless pretenders Manuokafoa and Kaufusi.

Bristow still looks like there is something missing. He is a big unit, but he just seems to lack a bit of speed or mobility, he is a powerhouse but with little spark. Likiliki seems to have a bit more speed and gusto in his runs on a more regular basis, top player.

lifesgood

Juniors
ATM,
team of the year thus far for me would be

1 Jake Mullaney (tigers)
2 Kane Morgan (souths)
3 Taioalo Vaivai (souths)
4 Drury Low (raiders)
5 Joe Vickery (dragons)
6 Kieran Foran (manly)
7 Beau henry (dragons)
8 Trent Merrin (dragons)
9 Kayne Lawton (titans)
10 Martin Taupau (bulldogs)
11 Jake Marketo (dragons)
12 Jared Waera hargreaves (manly)
13 Simon Dwyer (tigers)

14 James Segeyaro (cowboys)
15 Siosaia Vave (titans)
16 Jason Shirnack (tigers)
17 Jesse Bromwich (storm)

Players unlucky to miss out

Andrew Fifita, Robert Lui, Matt Duffie, Darcy Lussick, Tinirau Arona, Isaac Maliota, Kane Linnet, Siutaonga Likiliki

Iafeta

Referee
Haha I know, I watched the game.

Sione Lausi might not have the best stats, mainly because his workrate is relatively low, but he hits very hard, and has a bit of ball skills as well. Leeson Ah Mau was just a class above, he is going to be a great signing for the Cowboys, unlike those garbage, hopeless pretenders Manuokafoa and Kaufusi.

Bristow still looks like there is something missing. He is a big unit, but he just seems to lack a bit of speed or mobility, he is a powerhouse but with little spark. Likiliki seems to have a bit more speed and gusto in his runs on a more regular basis, top player.

I agree on Bristow. I don't think he can make the step up, just lacks ultimate acceleration and the gusto aggro mightn't work at NRL level. Louisi can pop a good offload and has a nice short passing game. Some of their outside backs though have a load of pace, and there's quite a few of them.

I must say, I haven't seen defence that brutal in a long, long time.

half_back

Juniors
1. Malcolm Webster (Souths)
2. Kane Morgan (Souths)
3. Taiaolo Vaivai (Souths)
4. Blake Davey (Manly)
5. Joe Vickory (Saints)
6. Keiran Foran (Manly)
7. Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
8. Siosaia Vave (Titans)
9. Kayne Lawton (Titans)
10. Trent Merrin (Dragons)
11. Jake Marketo (Dragons)
12. Darcy Lussick (Manly)
13. Jamie Buhrer (Manly)

14. Martin Taupau (Canterbury Bulldogs)
15. Jason Schirnack (Tigers)
16. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Manly)
17. Byron Fruean (Knights)

tezzah1

Juniors
Be crazy not to have Jesse Bromwich in any of these line ups. Dude plays over 60+ minutes per game. Carves the metres gained, hit ups, offloads well, has decent pace for such a big guy, knows his way to the try line and works hard defensively each game. Be a toss up between Merrin, Vave and Bromwich for the top 3 props of the NYC competition easily.