What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Bulldogs

Meth

Staff member
1 - Tuivasa-Sheck
2- Watene Zelezniak
3- Leiataua
4- Nicoll-Klokstad
5- Montoya
6- Metcalf
7- Martin/Johnson
8- Fonua-Blake
9- Lussick
10- Barnett
11- Laban
12- Halasima
13- Walker

Res- Ale, Niukore, Sifakula, Roache

JJ

Immortal
Whatever happens now we can at least know that Johnson's last game for the Warriors wasn't the 66-6 drubbing by the Titans.
lest we forget that the Titans beat us 66-6... fmd, no disrespect to them but the f**king Titans

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I know I can be a bit dramatic at times, but I genuinely think (if you use the metric "how much better/worse does this player make the team compared to their replacement") there's an argument that SJ is the worst player in the comp this season (and by extension, funnily enough, TMM is the best). I cannot stress enough the extent to which SJ should not be playing. He is in the midst of a historically bad farewell season and there is no reason to expect improvement.

I guess all we can hope for now is we somehow fluke a win in the last game so he can sign off in some sort of style and doesn't end on 10 straight losses.

Also, this very much has the feel of an all-to-common Warriors season where we finish on a massive losing run, and what was shaping as a fringe top-8 year with some encouraging moments, ends up with us running close to last.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I know I can be a bit dramatic at times, but I genuinely think (if you use the metric "how much better/worse does this player make the team compared to their replacement") there's an argument that SJ is the worst player in the comp this season (and by extension, funnily enough, TMM is the best). I cannot stress enough the extent to which SJ should not be playing. He is in the midst of a historically bad farewell season and there is no reason to expect improvement.

I guess all we can hope for now is we somehow fluke a win in the last game so he can sign off in some sort of style and doesn't end on 10 straight losses.

Also, this very much has the feel of an all-to-common Warriors season where we finish on a massive losing run, and what was shaping as a fringe top-8 year with some encouraging moments, ends up with us running close to last.
Superficially true of course but bloody harsh, and it of course makes the (incorrect) assumption that SJ vs TMM was the only differentiating factor in those games. I hope he gets to go out on a win as he deserves better.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Superficially true of course but bloody harsh, and it of course makes the (incorrect) assumption that SJ vs TMM was the only differentiating factor in those games.

Yeah of course TMM isn't actually the best player in the comp, and that metric doesn't actually give you the worst player in the comp, because it's biased towards/against players in key positions.

I do however honestly think that the sample size is now big enough to say that the presence/absence of SJ is a key differentiating factor. When you are up to 8 straight defeats with a guy who is known to be the team's key playmaker, and you're comparing that to an equal sample size of 8 straight games without SJ where the opposition haven't scored more tries than us once - to me that means we've reached the point where we can confidently say that SJ being in the team is a major cause of the team playing poorly.

Perhaps a different way of looking at it is that Webster's SJ-centric game plan has turned out to be a disaster, while the more ad hoc game plan we have when SJ is unavailable has turned out to be miles better than plan A.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah of course TMM isn't actually the best player in the comp, and that metric doesn't actually give you the worst player in the comp, because it's biased towards/against players in key positions.

I do however honestly think that the sample size is now big enough to say that the presence/absence of SJ is a key differentiating factor. When you are up to 8 straight defeats with a guy who is known to be the team's key playmaker, and you're comparing that to an equal sample size of 8 straight games without SJ where the opposition haven't scored more tries than us once - to me that means we've reached the point where we can confidently say that SJ being in the team is a major cause of the team playing poorly.

Perhaps a different way of looking at it is that Webster's SJ-centric game plan has turned out to be a disaster, while the more ad hoc game plan we have when SJ is unavailable has turned out to be miles better than plan A.
That part id agree with. It’s not SJs abilities per se but what the other players do when playing around him this year.

Rich102

Staff member
This is a very good point and I hadn't considered it before.
With SJ in the team the team really does what SJ dictates. And some of the younger players are a bit wary of doing something different. Whereas with TMM things are a bit/lot more flexible and players are prepared to try things.

I look at the NSW cup team and they play a lot more ad-lib; having a go and trusting in each other. Sure they give away points, but if they score more points than they give up they win.

We know Webster is very structured and defensive. Maybe it's time for a bit of jungle ball.

Reactions: Izz

JJ

Immortal
Maybe it's time for a bit of jungle ball.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

JJ

Immortal
That part id agree with. It’s not SJs abilities per se but what the other players do when playing around him this year.
And Shaun's fitness which hasn't been there, but that makes continuing to pick him absurd, but then we're used to that at the Warriors

Blair

Coach
It's a bit sad. He's off his game. The team are down. It's his last ever game at Mt Smart. It's my 'weekend' (I'm a shift worker) and I've had a few.

In a Warriors context Johnson has been a big part of my life, I was at his debut even, and I'll be on the beer again this Friday. Our season is a mess, he was a significant reason for that, playing injured was the main cause, but if there's some old SJ magic then who wouldn't have a deep feeling of thanks?

JJ

Immortal
I’ve never been his biggest fan, but recognise his immense talent.

Elite halves are relatively rare, when you get/develop one you have to build a team to win around them, sadly in both Jones and Johnson’s cases the club ultimately under delivered despite the grand finals. I think the window closed quite some time ago despite the hope after last season , but it’s definitely over now.

Obviously a fine career, and undoubtedly in the Warriors best 13 if he can be convinced to wear 6 😂

Big Marn

Bench
It's a bit sad. He's off his game. The team are down. It's his last ever game at Mt Smart. It's my 'weekend' (I'm a shift worker) and I've had a few.

In a Warriors context Johnson has been a big part of my life, I was at his debut even, and I'll be on the beer again this Friday. Our season is a mess, he was a significant reason for that, playing injured was the main cause, but if there's some old SJ magic then who wouldn't have a deep feeling of thanks?
I think all those sellout stadiums are easing the blow of a failed season. Theres always next year as they say.

How much do clubs get from gate sales just out of interest? Alternately, how much of a cut does the NRL take?

NZ fans can be very fickle. You want to be winning consistently or the crowds will dissipate and it will be back to the hardy faithful sitting in the stands, whilst all the fair weather fans move onto other interests.

Last edited: