What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

Chipmunk

Coach
I have no issue with Petersen's being in the side due to his dedication, effort and his ability to have a go, but there is no way that you will ever convince me, with Lyon not playing, that he is the best option we have at Right Centre. He should be in the team but he should be on the Wing and no where else.

The best thing about this week is that Canberra's Centre's arent the most potent and he should be able to handle himself. But seriously, wait till he plays against a Centre with some real ability and then come and tell me if he is the man for the job at Right Centre. He was made to look very ordinary positionally and defensively against the Dogs.

I am interested to see how Armit goes starting. I hope he has a big game and hopefully he will live up to the wraps that a few people on this forum have got on him.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Peterson wasn't too bad against the Broncs and he knows how to score a try. See how he goes.

Chipmunk

Coach
El Duque said:
Peterson wasn't too bad against the Broncs and he knows how to score a try. See how he goes.

He didnt go too bad (from a defensive aspect) against the Broncos cause they didnt really have the players or send the play his way for him to be exposed. He has a go sure, just dont whinge in the future if having a go is not good enough against class Centre's.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Petersen had Tallis running at him and Dykes all day. I know Tallis isn't in his best form but he is hardly nobody

Petersen made 20 tackles and missed 4 while that may seem high a lot of the time he would hold Tallis up then when some support came in Muzza would drop off the tackle that is counted as a miss even though looking at the game he did very good defensivly in those cases.

I think that Petersen best position is wing and he could play there. Thse days positions mean very little

Smith could name Petersen as prop that doesn't mean he'll play there though.

Against the Broncos I saw at least 3 scrums where CAyless packed in at hooker between Cannings and Vella.

Vaealiki once packed in at 2nd row with WAgon.

In 2001 Hodgson packed in at look v Broncos @ Parra.

and it's not just scrums

in the game last week VAealiki and Grothe often swapped.

Chipmunk

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
Petersen had Tallis running at him and Dykes all day. I know Tallis isn't in his best form but he is hardly nobody

Petersen made 20 tackles and missed 4 while that may seem high a lot of the time he would hold Tallis up then when some support came in Muzza would drop off the tackle that is counted as a miss even though looking at the game he did very good defensivly in those cases.

I think that Petersen best position is wing and he could play there. Thse days positions mean very little

Smith could name Petersen as prop that doesn't mean he'll play there though.

Against the Broncos I saw at least 3 scrums where CAyless packed in at hooker between Cannings and Vella.

Vaealiki once packed in at 2nd row with WAgon.

In 2001 Hodgson packed in at look v Broncos @ Parra.

and it's not just scrums

in the game last week VAealiki and Grothe often swapped.

I agree that named positions mean very little in the way of scrum positions, which is essentially how a team comes out on paper and always has. Scrum positions dont mean jack and I am not talking about scrum positions and I really couldnt care if Luke Burt packs into the front row for every scrum cause it is only a scrum.

Sure if someone runs at you at this level of the game then they are going to tackle them. If not, they are really completely in the wrong level of the sport. That is not what I mean by poor defence. What I mean by poor defence is where players have "miss reads" in defence or a poorly position to effect any kind of tackles. This causes alot of distress for the players inside and outside them. These players are generally the cause of alot of breaks made but very rarely will they have a miss tackle recorded against them as they havent come within cooee of the player to lay a hand on them to even miss them. This is what Petersen's big weakness is at the moment and where a quality centre is going to cause him alot of problems. If you get a chance to have a look at the Bulldogs game you will understand that Petersen is a player that at this stage has plenty of miss reads and is poorly positioned. You 'edge' defenders (generally W/C/L on one side and W/C/FE on the other) positionally are probably the most important players in the defensive line.

I do not have an issue with Petersen or anyone in the Parramatta Club of making a tackle if someone, Tallis or anyone, runs straight at them. It's easy to learn how to tackle someone if they run straight at you!!! Alot harder if there is a 4 on 3 or even 3 on 3 or 3 on 2 situation outwide to make the right decision.

That is why I think Petersen is more suited to the wing.

yy_cheng

Coach
Nothing much ever happens on the right side except maybe widders making a run and putting in a big step.

I would like our back 5 to be

1. Burt
2. Prince
3. Grothe
4. Lex
5. Muzza
6. Wagon
7. Dykes

I'd say bring back the Lex and Sideshow Bob combo.

PB

Bench
Peterson still has to undergo a fitness test before 100% confirmed.
Langi will come in for him you would assume if Peterson can not take his place, which is fine by me

Langi did well, but did give away 3 penalties in the first half and i am pretty sure didnt play the full 80 minutes, where as Peterson can. So i am happy for Peterson to slot back in. And their opponents, Mogg and Evans are no superstars, so they should be ok.

Hurriflatch

Referee
This point may have been made but looking at the stats from the Eels v Knights game Langi only played 45 mins. Petersen is an 80 min player, as Langi was on at the end of the game there are 2 interchanges gained from last week with Muzza in.

Yes he still needs to pass a fitness test but looking at those stats showed me at least why

a) Petersen came in at all and
b) He came in for Langi instead of Prince as it would have been a toss of the coin other wise.