What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Roosters

Meth

Staff member
They don't get any tougher at the moment than the Roosters. If we managed to pull of another upset, it's essentially 5 in a row with the bye coming up in the next round. That would put us in a good position to have a crack at the 8.

1- Locke/Fisiiahi (I have no idea what the extent of Locke's injury is, but hopefully he's fit)
2- Laumape
3- Nielsen
4- Hurrell
5- Vatuvei
6- Leuluai
7- Johnson
8- Rapira
9- Friend
10- Packer/Matagi/Gubb (again, a bit confused as to the extent of Packer's injury, or whether Matagi was injured yesterday)
11- Mateo
12- Mannering
13- Taylor

Res- Matulino, Lillyman, Ikahihifo, Peyroux

Penrose11

Juniors
I still like the idea of a wippet type impact player coming off the bench. To me our best currently in this roll is Godinet. With our bench yesterday we hsd 2props n 2 back rowers. In Ivans last year we had good sucess with Heramia n Hohaia playing the final last 20mins together. Maybe we could go this way for some variety. As it stands, if we are 10 points down with 10 to go, we are relying on Taylors 1handed bball offloads as impact.

My changes would be:

14 - Godinet
18 - Peyroux

Random time to play 6.30pm sunday (8.30pm NZtime) not the best success rate at these time slots, but Brisbane game proved they can be awake for the game time slot.

vvvrulz

Coach
I still like the idea of a wippet type impact player coming off the bench. To me our best currently in this roll is Godinet. With our bench yesterday we hsd 2props n 2 back rowers. In Ivans last year we had good sucess with Heramia n Hohaia playing the final last 20mins together. Maybe we could go this way for some variety. As it stands, if we are 10 points down with 10 to go, we are relying on Taylors 1handed bball offloads as impact.

I agree but Godinet has been a bit hit and miss in this role, I'd give Mara a go.

Otherwise pretty happy with the squad, we always had the team they just needed a bit of time to gel.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

My changes would be:

14 - Godinet
18 - Peyroux

We definitely need Peyroux there- I thought it was a good move by Elliot to bench Hurrell at the end of yesterdays game after he'd done his job and got us in front, he's a great attacking player but not a guy to protect a lead with. Peyroux came in handy there.

Meth

Staff member
I disagree.

As long as Friend is there, Godinet is a waste of bench spot. He shone brightly in contrast to Taylor at hooker. Since then, his star has faded.

As much as I like Mara, the same (waste of a bench spot) is true of him.

Meth

Staff member
I am not convinced by either Peyroux or Ikahihifo at this stage btw.

vvvrulz

Coach
I disagree.

As long as Friend is there, Godinet is a waste of bench spot. He shone brightly in contrast to Taylor at hooker. Since then, his star has faded.

As much as I like Mara, the same (waste of a bench spot) is true of him.

With Mara though at least you'd get some defence, when Godinet comes on he's a walking turnstile.

Meth

Staff member
With Mara though at least you'd get some defence, when Godinet comes on he's a walking turnstile.

Oh, and Mara is a very good prospect at hooker. He hasn't got the break that he deserves to at the Warriors. He should have been picked as soon as Friend was injured earlier this year.

How many minutes does he play for the Vulcans btw?

Iafeta

Referee
I am not convinced by either Peyroux or Ikahihifo at this stage btw.

They're doing whats asked of them. Low error rate, good defensively, and they play direct. Both can play large minutes, they don't need to though in this rotation. I thought the move to put Peyroux into right centre at the end was a master stroke FWIW.

Meth

Staff member
They're doing whats asked of them. Low error rate, good defensively, and they play direct. Both can play large minutes, they don't need to though in this rotation. I thought the move to put Peyroux into right centre at the end was a master stroke FWIW.

Yes, I agree. I forgot about that. Well played Elliot.

Iafeta

Referee
I assume with Packer initially named, he probably wasn't far off this week, so I'll assume he's available this week

1 Locke
2 Fisiiahi
3 Neilsen
4 Hurrell
5 Vatuvei
6 Leuluai
7 Johnson
8 Packer
9 Friend
10 Rapira
11 Mateo
12 Mannering (c)
13 Taylor

Matulino
Lillyman
Ikahihifo
Peyroux

I'm fairly comfortable that the only changes needed are to bring back the blokes who are injured.

hitman82

Bench
Locke will be back, Packer is 50-50 for this week or next, Lowrie due back this week also.

Mine:

1 Locke
2 Fish
10 Packer if fit

Otherwise no changes.

Taylor played well vs Manly, so Lowrie in Vulcans until he earns his jersey back.

Lousi hopefully into first grade within 5 weeks.

Izz

Bench
I figure we'll probably see Lowrie back this week, even though he def doesn't deserve his spot.

captainwarrior

Juniors
I'd switch Peyroux and Hurrell. Have Peyroux do the defence in the first 20-30 and bring Hurrell on as an impact player on the edge, and considering our opponents are the best defensive team in the comp we are going to need some magic and power to get us over the white strip a few times. Hurrell could do that to a tired defensive line.

tangalife

Juniors

Agree. I was getting worried in that last 10, kept thinking that all they had to do was run it around Hurrell and they will eventually score as Hurrell is so gassed by then and just sucks defensively anyway. The Peyroux move there was excellent.

Our interchange the last couple games has been really good. I would def keep Ika/Peyroux on there over losing one to Godinet. Peyroux I am led to believe has a good D game which is great to bring on in that final 20 when we are narrowly leading. No point having Godinet spark by that time.

Blair

Coach
Random time to play 6.30pm sunday (8.30pm NZtime) not the best success rate at these time slots, but Brisbane game proved they can be awake for the game time slot.

Stuff this, eh? Warriors v Roosters games, mid-season at the SFS, were always times to meet up with family and friends on a Saturday night. A good central location for people to meet.

Late on Sunday night just wrecks the vibe. It's a $50-$60 minimum day out and I'm not spending that if I can't relax and have a late night.

Even worse for fans watching in NZ. A lot of league fans are up Monday morning at 5, 6 am (early starts for manual jobs).

If they were going to schedule it for this time then why not this weekend just gone (at least it's a NSW holiday today - Monday).

These administrators and their TV deals are often out of whack with us fans.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Ikahihifo does nothing for me. Doesn't appear to have the size or athleticism to be an effective ball-carrier. If he's being groomed as a workhorse than he's not much use off the bench.