What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Bulldogs

edabomb

First Grade
www.raiders.com.au said:
Campese to be fit for Bulldogs
campese.jpg-4e0ce79e64d79db54bf809f3bd607e99.jpg
02 Sep, 2008
spacer.gif
The CFMEU Canberra Raiders have named an unchanged line-up for Sunday's last competition match of the season, after five-eighth Terry Campese was cleared today of any further damage to his hamstring.

Campese played with a hamstring strain against the North Queensland Cowboys last weekend in the Green Machine's 22-12 loss, but is expected to be close to full fitness by Sunday afternoon.

Captain Alan Tongue will remain at halfback for the Green Machine after playing there on Saturday night, while Glen Buttriss and Ryan Hinchcliffe will again share the responsibilities from dummy half.

Raiders Coach Neil Henry said news on Campese's injured hamstring had been positive, and he expected him to be ready for Sunday despite adding two players to the bench.

"Campo's had a scan and it's not as bad as we thought it might be," Henry said. "He's got a strain in his hamstring but he hasn't done any further damage. With the longer turnaround he won't be ready until later in the week but we're expecting he'll be able to run at 90 per cent and kick this week.

"Ben Jones has been brought into the squad again along with Cy Lasscock but at the moment it looks like it will be the same squad as last week," he said.

Henry said there had been some positive news on halfback Marc Herbert with a chance he may be back this season, while the club had not ruled out a reappearance of Tom Learoyd-Lahrs this year as they awaited results of an appeal of his suspension.

"He (Herbert) might be able to start some straight line running this week followed by change of direction next week, which means first round of the finals possibly but mostly unlikely, but second round more than likely if we can get that far," he said.

"We're also seeking the appeal for Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and we should know more about that in the next couple of days, which means he could possibly be available for the first round of the finals as well."

NRL:

CANBERRA RAIDERS V BULLDOGS
CANBERRA STADIUM, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 7, 2.00PM

1. DAVID MILNE
2. ADRIAN PURTELL
3. COLIN BEST
4. JOEL MONAGHAN
5. BRETT KELLY
6. TERRY CAMPESE
7. ALAN TONGUE (c)
8. SCOTT LOGAN
9. GLEN BUTTRISS
10. DANE TILSE
11. TREVOR THURLING
12. JOE PICKER
13. NIGEL PLUM

14. JOSH MILLER
15. MARSHALL CHALK
16. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
17. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE
18. CY LASSCOCK
19. BEN JONES

COACH: NEIL HENRY

Toyota Cup:

CANBERRA RAIDERS V BULLDOGS
CANBERRA STADIUM, SUNDAY SEPTEMER 7, 11.45AM

1. JOSH DUGAN
2. DRURY LOW
3. JARROD CROKER
4. DANIEL VIDOT
5. ZAC RUSS
6. MICHAEL PICKER
7. MATT SMITH
8. MATT BRITT
9. TRAVIS WADDELL
10. NICK SKINNER
11. JARRAD KENNEDY
12. JOEL THOMPSON
13. SHAUN FENSOM (c)

14. BROCK DUNN
15. ANDREW EDWARDS
16. ZAC MERRITT
17. TODD RHEINBERGER
18. LEVI FREEMAN

COACH: TONY ADAM

No suprises.

I hope Henry has a trick up his sleeve, we seriously cant go out there like last week. Campo better be ready to go ,no use playing if he isnt any fitter.
We lose its more than likely we will miss the finals.

OPS

Juniors
When he says kick,does that mean for goals to?They are mad to let campo play,everyone knows hamstrings take time

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I am hoping results go our way i.e. Warriors and Knights get beaten, prior to us playing on Sunday which may allow us to rest a key player ot two for the first week of the semi's.

edabomb

First Grade
I still hope on Friday that the Roosters beat the Dragons so we have a shot at 6th.

shear_joy9

Coach
surprised chalk is in the side.

it's a very scary the thought that this will probably be the team for the finals.

Bay56

First Grade
The question obviously leaves us in 6's and 7's.

If Campo is hampered as he was against the Cowboys we're going to find it tough.

Hopefully results on Friday and Saturday night will make it a non-issue leaving only the question of finishing in 6th spot.

Mick_63

Juniors
If that side is what runs out,Henry has made a mistake.
Tongue made 33 tackles last week,no halfback in the history of the NRL makes those numbers.
It doesnt make sense to weaken a position(lock) when we have one of the best in the league.
A fit,hungry u/20 should be making his debut at half this week.

No doubt its not easy for Henry atm,but in my humble opinion he has made a few mistakes lately.

Number one being playing Campese against the cowboys.

Cryptic

Juniors
I would have liked to see Campese sit out last week as his leg was obviously bothering him but seeing his after game interview where he said it wasn't that bad I would vote he had a big say in taking the field that day. It was a first hit out with-out our primary kicker and play maker being fully fit and with a regular half by his side so we can only get better from here right? :?

On the other hand maybe we don't want to hurt the chances of our Toyota Cup and QRL sides anymore than we already have... Honestly they have a better overall chance to take home some cabinet fillers than our first grade side does with so many key players out injured... I mean don't get me wrong I think we still could do it but only if we get back to the form that saw us put away top four sides like they were the NSW comps wooden spooners.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
On the other hand maybe we don't want to hurt the chances of our Toyota Cup and QRL sides anymore than we already have... Honestly they have a better overall chance to take home some cabinet fillers than our first grade side does with so many key players out injured... I mean don't get me wrong I think we still could do it but only if we get back to the form that saw us put away top four sides like they were the NSW comps wooden spooners.

Are you insane!!??!!??

I would sacrifice each and every one of our TC/QC players at the altar of a pagan god if it gave our NRL side 1% more chance to win!

Mick_63

Juniors
I guess so,we are playing at home this week.

About Campo,how did he look warming up before the game?
Was he running free 30 mins before kick off?
Cause he had one leg at kick off.
A tough decision should have been made by the medical staff and Henry.
You cant ask the bloke if he is going to be ok.
Of course he says he will be fine.

Cryptic

Juniors
OK let me re-state that... When I said "maybe we don't want to hurt the chances of our Toyota Cup and QRL sides " I meant that possiblt that was the view of the coaching staff, not my view, and then explained their possible reasoning...

While I wouldn't go quite that far, I would certainly bleed them both dry for the first grade side...

Cryptic

Juniors

They showed footage of him warming up before the game... He looked like my 92 year old grandad trying to get off the floor, and he is on his second hip... So yeah not good at all...

Agree they shouldn't ask someone... No one wants to let the team down and Campese strikes me as someone in the same line as Tongue, puts everything on line for the team and would rather lose a leg than not put in 100%.

Last edited:

Macko8

Juniors
henry you dumb prick.
ill be a little more confident of winning if campo is at least 90% on the day.
otherwise we can kiss the finals goodbye.

Bay56

First Grade

Pictures on Fox of the Raiders warming up before the game showed that Campo was inconvienced and favouring his hammy ... there was no doubt in my mind that he'd find it hard to perform during the game.

Chachi

Bench
Good news is Joel Thompson has been cleared of his suspected broken jaw, so he could be available if needed. Although I don't suspect he'll be called up unless we're absolutely desperate.

Mick_63

Juniors
Guys...don't bag henry...

What choice does he have?

There is noone left!

I dont want to come across as bagging Campo,the bloke was not right to play.
And the choice Henry should of made was to have Picker train as Campos shadow due to the hammy 'twinge'.

Latest posts