What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Panthers

JJ

Immortal
I've never seen the ABs doing the breathing.

I'm sure there is some kind of method worked out where they figure out how many times it comes off vs how many times it allows in points. To old school leaguies it probably seems low % but it's probably effective. There's a Malcom Gladwell podcast about hockey and how far a team is down in goals and whether they should pull the goalie and just go all out in attack. Essentially a goalie should be pulled quite early (in the last 1/4 not in the whole game) if a team is down but coaches don't do it because it looks stupid if it doesn't work and fans will think they blew the game. So, maybe we can give Kearney some credit for allowing himself to look stupid.
1. Nope, not in that way, but the story was it came from Kieran Read, I thought
2. It's competition for the ball, 50:50, and teams should be able to defend on their line relatively well... guess in the playoffs the stakes are higher

Matua

Bench
He takes down a few from my understanding.
Last one I heard was about the refs relegation game Warriors v Titans.
I guess I didn't read down that far enough. It was mostly positive stuff that I read and it appears he gets on well with Crowe.

sup42

Juniors
I wasnt a fan of the short kick offs the last time they were brough up, although I did see the logic.

Changed my mind when Tony Iro (on Radio sport, they have done a great job with League coverage this year...helps that the Warriors are winning) Tony said Stephen Kearney pointed out the obvious about the short kick offs.

If you can trust you try line defence.....then a short kick off means you don't have to run anywhere near the meters defending (that initial Kick chase, especially having to retreat ten meters every set) which gives you more reserves to make those tryline efforts.

Kearney told them to do it if they are going to back it up with try line defence, and told him he expects them to use the extra gas to lift their intensity, rather than take short cuts (that was actually my concern that it was being used as a short cut).

Incidentally I noticed Tony Iro is far more relaxed with the media these days, doesn't get quite so defensive or /guarded.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
I don’t have the numbers at hand but I would say we have done about 13 short drop outs, won the ball back (cleanly or through an opposition error) maybe 7 of them, given away penalties cause not reached 10m or over sideline on full 2-3 times and not got the ball on the other 3-4 times. Opposition have probably scored two tries from the kicks. I’d say out of 13 long drop kickoffs you would expect 4-5 tries to result (either that set or repeat set following penalties or something) plus a lot more defense energy and time without the ball... so I’m all for it.

Benek

Juniors
To my recollection we do seem to be getting the ball back on about half of those short kickoff attempts. With a success rate that high, it's difficult not to like the gamble. If Kearny felt they ever started abusing the tactic and not backing it up with intense goal line defence he'd shut it down. But so far it appears as if they are doing it right. So I support it as long as it keep succeeding like that.

Burns

First Grade
So the capitals run was today at ANZ, any word on RTS?

This time tomorrow, the absolute nerves.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I'm sorry, but what? This looks like it's been written by a 5 year old.

Maloney sux.
Johnson Rulz.

Da end.
Sorry to make you sound stupid but the average 5 year old can't spell that well LOL. They're barely learning how to write and spell their name, let alone words and sentences.

Knocked you out again. Youre too easy, you set yourself up to look duh LOL

'Rulz' you mean rules and why the capital R? oh god. 'Da end' lol, the end. Oh just stop it LOL.

5 year old? BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
The Storm and Rabbitohs game has definitely started off finals footy with a bang and so good to know we're in it and we're up tomorrow.

I'm happy our spine and leaders will be taking the field.

A few concerns. Hiku coming up against Kikau and, Ceechin. I shouldn't focus on the ref but I just wish we had Klein or Sutton throughout the finals. Anyway, cant wait.

Leber

Bench
I watched last night feeling grateful that our team wasn't playing. I don't think could have handled that nail biter.

Tonight will be tough and it may be observed through the gaps in my fingers.

Blair

Coach
A couple of dreams in quick succession this morning...

We're down 23-22, with two and a half mins to play. There was a break in play but we were re-starting a new set near half-way. But this was at Penrith Stadium, so I'd dismiss this one.

The second was better. Up 16-10, mid-way through second-half. We have a scrum 40m out, right side. Luke feeds the scrum and gives it to Ken, who busts up the touchline to score. Warriors celebrate, but touchie calls out. We can't believe it, neither can commentators. Crucial moment gone.

Anyway, Ken plays on the other side of the field and Luke's not a half-back so let's discount that one, too.

sup42

Juniors
Big day at mine.

Always is a special day, been like that since I was a little kid before the Warriors.

Mum would bake a Sultana Cake before a Kangaroos Kiwis test, the cake would be piping hot right before kick off, like someones birthday.

I havent stuck with the cake tradition with my kids ( since we often lost) chips and dip are easier to make anyway.

We still have our rituals though, same kids lined up early in front of the telly while another always makes their way down stairs right after the first set of six is played.

I got a really good feeling, mostly because thats my team....out there on the park...playing in a final.

Well done Warriors.

Blair

Coach
Big day at mine.

Always is a special day, been like that since I was a little kid before the Warriors.

Mum would bake a Sultana Cake before a Kangaroos Kiwis test, the cake would be piping hot right before kick off, like someones birthday.

I havent stuck with the cake tradition with my kids ( since we often lost) chips and dip are easier to make anyway.

We still have our rituals though, same kids lined up early in front of the telly while another always makes their way down stairs right after the first set of six is played.

I got a really good feeling, mostly because thats my team....out there on the park...playing in a final.

Well done Warriors.

Watch the kid who goes walkabout when the game gets tight, he may turn out to be like me. It aint fun.

Burns

First Grade
Weather is super average. Heading to the game today, first time at ANZ! Wondering how many will be there and what the atmosphere will be like that.

Dreamt a 19-18 win last night with a SJ field goal.

Latest posts